Absolute best budget earbuds?
May 21, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #1,262 of 2,999
For my taste the Vido wipes the floor with most of my other (~ 10) 5-10$ earbuds, to the degree that it's embarrassing. Yinman 150 too.

It's time to give away or throw out :darthsmile:

The 3 best sounding I have are Vido, EMX500, Campfred. If I could only keep 1 I am not sure Campfred would survive.

May 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,263 of 2,999
DSC_0005-01.jpeg
Finally recabled the Vido after some a week as i was too lazy to do it. Though the colour scheme doesnt match but its not as annoying as the short Y-cables.

DSC_0002-01.jpeg
Anw finally gotten my hands on the self adhesive tape as my dad's fren needed something on amazon (got my KSC75 too and they are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G). Got to try out @silverfishla's rubber ring replacement and boy the seal is so much better with these on. And they dont hurt ur ears like the rubber ring does, prob due to it being softer and malleable.

And DIY tools are so diff to get in SG -.-

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,264 of 2,999

Finally recabled the Vido after some a week as i was too lazy to do it. Though the colour scheme doesnt match but its not as annoying as the short Y-cables.

Anw finally gotten my hands on the self adhesive tape as my dad's fren needed something on amazon (got my KSC75 too and they are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G). Got to try out @silverfishla's rubber ring replacement and boy the seal is so much better with these on. And they dont hurt ur ears like the rubber ring does, prob due to it being softer and malleable.

Any improvements after recabling?

May 21, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,265 of 2,999
Any improvements after recabling?
Havent done a A to B comparison. Will do it tmr at work lol. But straightaway the luxury of having a longer cable is apparent.

May 21, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #1,267 of 2,999

I didn't see the original post and that tape idea looks ideal for my zen 2..do you have a link to the post / item / anything, cheers :-D

May 21, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #1,268 of 2,999
After spending some time switching between Vido, Monk and Monk plus, my pick is definitely Vido for its more mature natural sound. Monk comes 2nd Monk plus the 3rd.

Vido has better bass quality and quantity than both Monk and Monk plus. It also has a bit more midbass which makes the mids sounding fuller and more natural. The vocals are also more upfront in Vido. Soundstage seems to be a little smaller than Monks. But I could hear more details with Vido which I never heard before with Monks. The mids are just amazing on these!!!

The treble has more presence on both Monks but could be a bit harsh on some songs. It is a bit subdued on Vido but in a good way. The treble while being less present on Vido it never becomes harsh or tiring and details are on par or better than the Monks.

Please bear in mind that these are just my personal opinions through Walnut V2. YMMV

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #1,270 of 2,999
I didn't see the original post and that tape idea looks ideal for my zen 2..do you have a link to the post / item / anything, cheers :-D
I got this from amazon. I think he actually posted it in the earbuds round up thread a few months ago. It was used on his Rose Mojito. If u have some self adhesive tape that u used to fix ur water pipes, just cut some off and use it over the buds!

Anw with that on the Vido it is abit uncomfortable after extended wearing (but still so much better compared to rubner rings). I havent tried just a single layer of foam over it as my previous experience with the rubber rings was that it didnt gave good seal. I tried it on the Qian39 too and must say those sound very very good with the improved seal. No leaking of bass, and so much better isolation.

SG is so hot right now that i need to blow the fan on myself at night and usually with the fan blowing at me, i can hear the annoying sound of the blades. But with the improved isolation, i can listen to the music at lower levels compared to the past. And i could slp with the Qian on without any discomfort :)

May 22, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #1,271 of 2,999
Damn wallet always gets in the way.

what the wallet refuses, the piggy bank does eventually :p

saving those "pennies and dimes" to buy an asura 2

669982,1287514092,7.jpg

also just got my vido today as well, I tried them a bit out of the box, and I have to say after using ty hi-z g3, I don't feel any compromise at all, (besides the obvious lack of insulation) playing some tracks on my iphone 6s, they seemed a bit bright but nothing harsh, (that could be because of the music that happened to play in random).
I didn't have any heavy bass tracks but when I got to some symphonic chiptune metal aka master boot record, I felt like had to put the full foams on to listen to it, and it sounded good.

I will continue to use them now on my smsl m3 burning them in as I listen to music

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #1,273 of 2,999
Just a quick update on the Vido, the stock one sound much better than my recabled one. I guess that's probably due to the cable being copper where it brought the spectrum of the sound down by a level, where everything sounded deeper.

The trebles werent as good as the stock and it lost its aggressiveness as everything sounded more distant. But that is a recabled white shell VS a stock blue shell. Idk if the drivers are the same but i assume they are. Shall try to switch the cables and use some old ones that i gotten from other buds and try them again.

May 22, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,274 of 2,999
Just a quick update on the Vido, the stock one sound much better than my recabled one. I guess that's probably due to the cable being copper where it brought the spectrum of the sound down by a level, where everything sounded deeper.

The trebles werent as good as the stock and it lost its aggressiveness as everything sounded more distant. But that is a recabled white shell VS a stock blue shell. Idk if the drivers are the same but i assume they are. Shall try to switch the cables and use some old ones that i gotten from other buds and try them again.

I used a Dual 2-Strand Twisted Cable to rewire my Qian25, and it doesn't sound very much different than stock - I think because it's about the same wire gauge as the stock cable.
So, I made an 8-Strand Braided Copper Cable (by un-twisting the Dual 2-Strand Twisted Cable, doubling it over and braiding the 4 twisted pairs) to rewire my "J-cable" Vido, and I think it sounds better than stock.

I've also got a "Y-cable" Vido, but I haven't done any critical comparison listening, back & forth, between the two Vido.

May 22, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,275 of 2,999
Thankfully NEED has no part in it!

I see that the Elecoms here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252826924150

Getting them off of ebay means that I'll probably see them October lol. Too bad I can't find them on Aliexpress (I've had better luck with them, and probably get them by August at least lol), but I can't find them there. Oh well! Ebay it is.
Ebay is better. You can return if you don't want and faster delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back