Absolute best budget earbuds?
Apr 3, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #888 of 2,999
Apr 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #889 of 2,999
I'm waiting for your impression then.

However someone here (or maybe in earbud roundup thread) who post about how he love ty hi-z 320 ohm specifically for metal and I can vouch for that. Ty 320 is not budget though. But his smaller sibling ty 32 sound almost same as 320 to untrained ears when amped. 320 is better of course. worth the extra money but need amp.

Might have been me, I've definitely said it anyway. Love the TY HP320 for pretty much all metal and rock styles I listen to certainly.

Never impressed by the TY HP32 and I've said so a few times - but never tried it amped before now, with it being quite low impedence... I may have done it a disservice! Not as awesome as the 320 or the 400S and still a little forward sounding to my tastes, but it sounds a lot different than unamped, reduces the harshness a fair bit - it's pretty impressive and deserves a bit of a reassessment!! It seems to like a fair bit of power as well, possibly harder to drive than I'd imagined. Wow I'm quite stunned. I think I like it better than the HP150 certainly.

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #890 of 2,999
Might have been me, I've definitely said it anyway. Love the TY HP320 for pretty much all metal and rock styles I listen to certainly.

Never impressed by the TY HP32 and I've said so a few times - but never tried it amped before now, with it being quite low impedence... I may have done it a disservice! Not as awesome as the 320 or the 400S and still a little forward sounding to my tastes, but it sounds a lot different than unamped, reduces the harshness a fair bit - it's pretty impressive and deserves a bit of a reassessment!! It seems to like a fair bit of power as well, possibly harder to drive than I'd imagined. Wow I'm quite stunned. I think I like it better than the HP150 certainly.

Fellow metalhead here, and my recabled TY 32 (with spc cable) is my favorite for my "loud" stuff.
Never tried both the 150 and 320 though. I have the 650 but I feel that it's too "smooth" for metal, so the energy is lost.

And yeah my TY 32 definitely scales good with an amp (Walnut V2).

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #893 of 2,999
Fellow metalhead here, and my recabled TY 32 (with spc cable) is my favorite for my "loud" stuff.
Never tried both the 150 and 320 though. I have the 650 but I feel that it's too "smooth" for metal, so the energy is lost.

Yep Im using the Walnut as amp as well :-D

There's so many subgenres in rock and especially metal, and varying quality of production, to the extent that I even have favourite earbuds for specific albums!

It takes the HP650 or Zen 2 to do the last Blind Guardian album justice..but they'd be hopeless earbuds for thrash, more suited to gentler, smoother rock or quite complex productions, or just non metal stuff. Having said that, Megadeth Sweating Bullets sounds surreal through the Zen 2 (in a good way).

The TY 32 are sounding pretty good with Dimmu Borgir :-D

(Edit - and Arch Enemy)

Any way about it though, metal with earbuds sounds so much better than IEMs I reckon.

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #894 of 2,999
http://www.head-fi.org/t/843190/the-7-cubu-earbud

Apr 3, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #895 of 2,999
Yep Im using the Walnut as amp as well :-D

There's so many subgenres in rock and especially metal, and varying quality of production, to the extent that I even have favourite earbuds for specific albums!

It takes the HP650 or Zen 2 to do the last Blind Guardian album justice..but they'd be hopeless earbuds for thrash, more suited to gentler, smoother rock or quite complex productions, or just non metal stuff. Having said that, Megadeth Sweating Bullets sounds surreal through the Zen 2 (in a good way).

The TY 32 are sounding pretty good with Dimmu Borgir :-D

(Edit - and Arch Enemy)

Any way about it though, metal with earbuds sounds so much better than IEMs I reckon.

I'm more into metalcore/deathcore/prog-metal. Funny that you mentioned about having different buds for different albums, because now I remember I enjoyed August Burns Red's "Messengers" with the TY650. This band has a drummer who is always too trigger-happy to hit his china cymbals, so the songs can be fatiguing and sibilant. The 650 is able to hold it down pretty well. So I guess smoothness isn't really a disadvantage in this case.

The punchy kick-bass on the TY 32 definitely is great for black metal or anything that almost has double-pedals on 90% of the songs haha :)

The open-soundstage-"wall of sound" nature of earbuds is indeed way better for metal or any arena-rock type of genres.

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #896 of 2,999

Mate, i was contemplating whether i should recable the TY32 and i have a question. Does the cable replacement improve the bass on the TY?

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #899 of 2,999
Mate, i was contemplating whether i should recable the TY32 and i have a question. Does the cable replacement improve the bass on the TY?

I no longer have a stock TY32, so I can no longer compare the sound right now, sorry. The recabling was already done by the seller/modder when I bought the ty32.
They used spc cable which enhances the brightness, while copper enhances the bass, as far as I know.

So if you need more bass, use copper cables. This is also what vapman is doing with his Bhobuds MAG7 earbuds (along with his own driver tuning/modding and all).

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #900 of 2,999
I no longer have a stock TY32, so I can no longer compare the sound right now, sorry. The recabling was already done by the seller/modder when I bought the ty32.
They used spc cable which enhances the brightness, while copper enhances the bass, as far as I know.

So if you need more bass, use copper cables. This is also what vapman is doing with his Bhobuds MAG7 earbuds (along with his own driver tuning/modding and all).

Ahhh, somehow i read it as OFC (oxygen free) cables when i glanced through earlier lol. Thanks mate!

Anw using silver cables dont u find them a tad too bright? IMO stock is already on the bright side.

LaughMoreDaily yeap i did use it with ma nuts but they sounded a bit bright and shallow on bass which is why i was thinking of modding the cable lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back