Absolute best budget earbuds?
Jan 14, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #1,982 of 2,999
Maybe u can try to put some blu tack behind the shell like this.

For me after the mod it sound amazing. The highs were tamed, bass were more engaging and it produces a very nice ambient music. I tried to do it on the Monk+ but the mids are still recessed. That convinced me to get another TY32 to satisfy my urge of recabling lol

The link is dead BTW.

Did you say the mids are recessed on the Monk+? Seriously??? Maybe you were thinking about something different and mistakenly wrote Monk there? I don't think I've ever heard anything with more shouty, more annoyingly forward mids. There's just no possible way this is a difference of taste, we're not talking about the same earbud, bud :wink:

Wait, are your foam covers made of pumice? That might do it

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,983 of 2,999
The link is dead BTW.

Did you say the mids are recessed on the Monk+? Seriously??? Maybe you were thinking about something different and mistakenly wrote Monk there? I don't think I've ever heard anything with more shouty, more annoyingly forward mids. There's just no possible way this is a difference of taste, we're not talking about the same earbud, bud :wink:

Shozy bk has mids as forward or more than monks but yeah monks have a nicely engaging mid forward sound.

Maybe he means no matter how he tweaks the mod it affects the midrange too much?

Jan 14, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,985 of 2,999
Huh, I never got that impression when reading BK, uh, impressions... If that's true though I'm glad I got something else!
I love that signature for rock and acoustic. But yeah bk is forward and thick textured vocals. Sounds amazing but limited to certain genres.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #1,986 of 2,999
Cheap ~1usd earbuds arrived today.
klP7cqS.jpg

K-Yin ( blue cover)

V shape sig, sounds pretty bad

Sub bass has similar presence akin to the vido's
Mid bass has quite a bit of punch, but bleeds into the mids
Mids are recessed and veiled, the one of the worst mids i've heard in any earbuds so far
Highs lack sparkle, no details heard at all.

Nope.

Newsmy (Black)

Basshead sig. Absolutely terrible.

Sub bass - Only mid bass
Mid bass - Mid bass
Mids - Mid bass
Highs - Mid bass..?

miD BAsssS

Quite disappointed by the sound of these earbuds, but they are 1 usd per pair after all. Fortunately, i only bought these to practice resoldering, so it is not an absolute loss. Free earbuds that come with phones WILL sound a lot better than these. Not worth spending money on IMO.
1 of the 6 pairs i ordered came with a dead driver.

Edit : Seller has provided a full refund on the faulty earbud.

More pics
ZszRjob.jpg

dQNyVCo.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #1,987 of 2,999
klP7cqS.jpg

K-Yin ( blue cover)

Mids are recessed and veiled, the one of the worst mids i've heard in any earbuds so far

Nope.

Newsmy (Black)

Sub bass - Only mid bass
Mid bass - Mid bass
Mids - Mid bass
Highs - Mid bass..?

miD BAsssS

Quite disappointed by the sound of these earbuds, but they are 1 usd per pair after all. Fortunately, i only bought these to practice resoldering, so it is not an absolute loss. Free earbuds that come with phones WILL sound a lot better than these. Not worth spending money on IMO.
2 of the 6 pairs i ordered came with a dead driver.

More pics
ZszRjob.jpg

dQNyVCo.jpg
Thanks for the feedback, good luck to your soldering, I am also practicing my soldering, I'm recabling all my extra J type cheapo buds to 2.5mm TRRS plugs with SPC cable to go balance. Hope they sound good.

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #1,988 of 2,999
klP7cqS.jpg

K-Yin ( blue cover)

Nope.

Newsmy (Black)

Sub bass - Only mid bass
Mid bass - Mid bass
Mids - Mid bass
Highs - Mid bass..?

miD BAsssS

2 of the 6 pairs i ordered came with a dead driver.

More pics
ZszRjob.jpg

dQNyVCo.jpg

Great post! Your descriptions gave me a good chuckle :)

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #1,989 of 2,999
klP7cqS.jpg

K-Yin ( blue cover)

Nope.

Newsmy (Black)

Sub bass - Only mid bass
Mid bass - Mid bass
Mids - Mid bass
Highs - Mid bass..?

miD BAsssS

1 of the 6 pairs i ordered came with a dead driver.

More pics
ZszRjob.jpg

dQNyVCo.jpg
Woops! apparently only one of the newsman's are faulty, not 2. I've corrected my mistake in the post.

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,990 of 2,999
The link is dead BTW.

I totally forgotten abt the SQ of the Monks alr. Let me give them a good listen again.

Edit: Either way the mod is below. Credits to @ozkan
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9947379.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,994 of 2,999
I just took a chance to check that one out. Its available in lazada malaysia for 16.5 myr which is equivalent to 4 USD right? Its also available here in Lazada PH but the thing is it's overpriced, around 800PHP equivalent to 16USD. I dont like the idea of purchasing op items lol, i've been an online shopper and only takes good and awesome deals so i wouldn't have any regrets
Too bad about the price. I reckon the price almost the same here in Malaysia but it seems few seller are cutting the price deep hence the 4usd plus free shipping . It's a no brainer. Hope you can get it cheaper somewhere.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #1,995 of 2,999
OK been reading through this thread to try and get an idea of some reasonably budget earphones to use when I'm not carrying my bigger headphones. Unfortunately this has led me more into confused than to resolution!

Headphones I am most used to are Sennheiser HD25.
My previous goto earphones would have been the Sennheiser CX200, stronger sound than the CX100 and clearer (although less prominent bass) than the CX300. It seems their range has changed a lot from when I last bought these though!
No microphone, preferably no controls on the cable. Direct connection is better IMO.
I listen to almost every kind of music, I would like something with a clear and deep enough sound to cope with both the sub-bass of jungle music, the kick drums of techno and the fidelity of acoustic and classical. Frequency Response > Transient Response > Sound Stage.
Generally I prefer IEMs to earbuds as although I find both a little uncomfortable I've yet to find a pair of earbuds that will stay in a good position in the ear for good sound.
I would like to purchase on eBay UK as I have funds in PayPal.
Budget of max £30, maybe one pair £20-30, although from skimming the thread I'm kinda thinking two pairs at less than £15 may be a better idea.

Ones I've listed for further research from this thread, maybe you can help me narrow it down:
VE Monk
Awei ES10
TY Hi-Z HP-32
Plextone X41M
Nicehck EB200

Then there is also the QKZ ranges but not got a single specific target in mind...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back