About to buy Stax 3100 (already dying of fun bux poverty)

Am I insane?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Stax are love stax are life

• Total voters
Aug 31, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 22
Nope, not interested in either one.

Hmm. I generally prefer over-ears. They're (SR-003's...can't find SR-001's) quite inexpensive, though, so I'll try them a bit later, as a christmas present.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #18 of 22
Well, of course. But the Stax L300's seem to have a great reputation, and I spent a lot of time looking at reviews of the best (for my tastes) planars and dynamics in the range, and asked questions of a few people with the cans I was looking at. They said--after performing A/B's at my request--the Stax was generally just more enjoyable than the Sundara (another I was considering), and many others echo this sentiment. I'm not sure I could find a meetup near me in the near future, and it's doubtful I'd be able to audition Stax for another couple months.
I guess I'm not so into electrostat sound. It does have a certain type of sound, and can't say it's better than some great sounding planars out there.

I personally think the best sound quality per buck is from either dynamic or planar due to sheer volume of stuff you can pick from in a wide range of pricing. Instead of going for lower tier'd electrostats, I think money is better spent on non-electrostats within the budget.

Of course, it's all up to you if electrostats is the better value.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #19 of 22
I guess I'm not so into electrostat sound. It does have a certain type of sound, and can't say it's better than some great sounding planars out there.

I personally think the best sound quality per buck is from either dynamic or planar due to sheer volume of stuff you can pick from in a wide range of pricing. Instead of going for lower tier'd electrostats, I think money is better spent on non-electrostats within the budget.

Of course, it's all up to you if electrostats is the better value.

That's fair. I guess I just have to try 'em. I have a "one of the best of =/<$300 dynamics" and "one of the best of =/<$500 planars" set of cans, so I figure that the STax will be a decent way to test my preference between the three, given that they are only $400, which puts them in the same range as the planars and dynamics I have. Plus, if nothing else, I get a wildly different and more detailed, dynamic sound to add to my list of sound options.

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 22

Just bought L300's and an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro bias, with new capacitors and the SoCas pad adapter. I decided I didn't want the compromise in sound quality (rolloff) caused by transformer based amp-adapters/old stax SRD energizer models. :) Thanks though!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 22
I voted Yes, but I'm happy for you anyway. And I would maybe buy a pair of Stax or two if I didn't have a long list of other stuff I need to get :wink:

Post pics! And listening impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back