About to buy Stax 3100 (already dying of fun bux poverty)

Am I insane?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Stax are love stax are life

• Total voters
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AthenaZephyrian

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to buy Stax L300's tomorrow, after I've had 2 nights to contemplate the fact that I'll need 5-year plans and virtual slavery to fix my personal economy afterwards.

I think it will be worth it. I'll be done sidegrading. Maybe. Maybe I'll just pull a Jordan Belfort to finance sidegrades and upgrades in the Stax family.

Save me. Send help. The allure of electrostats has taken me hostage.

- --- .-. - ..- .-. .

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 22
giphy.gif

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 22
Why don't you look for meets or start up a meet with others so that you can try many different gears including electrostats?

Just because headphones are electrostat doesn't makes them particularly special or better than dynamic. Or does any planar driver better than dynamic or electrostats. A good headphones is just a good headphones weather it's an electrostat, planar, or dynamic.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 22
Why don't you look for meets or start up a meet with others so that you can try many different gears including electrostats?

Just because headphones are electrostat doesn't makes them particularly special or better than dynamic. Or does any planar driver better than dynamic or electrostats. A good headphones is just a good headphones weather it's an electrostat, planar, or dynamic.

Well, of course. But the Stax L300's seem to have a great reputation, and I spent a lot of time looking at reviews of the best (for my tastes) planars and dynamics in the range, and asked questions of a few people with the cans I was looking at. They said--after performing A/B's at my request--the Stax was generally just more enjoyable than the Sundara (another I was considering), and many others echo this sentiment. I'm not sure I could find a meetup near me in the near future, and it's doubtful I'd be able to audition Stax for another couple months.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 22

Yeah, same. That's about how I feel right now. Just add some "coughing up a lung" and "vicious spanish flu"...actually, it's just a bad cold, but it's gotten to my lungs.

Out of curiosity, what was this a reaction to? "Just because a headphone is an electrostat..."? I'd agree. Electrostats and planars...are just different. A TOTL planar or electrostat will produce a better soundstage and THD (and derived properties) than a TOTL dynamic....pretty much as a rule.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 22

I....I think I hate you. They sound fantastic (I would presume...given their prestige) AND look awesome... ==__==

When I rule the world, we're gonna make electrostatics instead of nukes. But electrostatics that have as much money and effort put into them as nukes. Earnukers.
Catm4V1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 22
Go for 009, they sound really good.

Hahahahahahahahaha :triportsad::money_with_wings:

Even if I sold my vintage fountain pens, my entire audio collection, including my DAP+IEMs, sold my coin collection, and sold my extra 1TB hard drives... I'd be broke--fully--if I bought 'em. If I could bump my funds to $4k through sales of old stuff and my collections, I don't think I would hesitate. But alas, I need a bit of ICE money.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 22
Aug 31, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #15 of 22
Never heard the L300, they sound good, not as good as my 007.

Have you heard the L500 or L700? I'm not so hyped about getting an IEM....but if they sound that good I may have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back