About to buy ath m50s...bit nervous
Jan 10, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 21

daltonlanny said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Go for it!
I love mine, and sometimes, with some material, I actually prefer to listen to them over my Sennheiser HD650 and my AKG K701!
They sometimes simply sound more alive and more fun than either of these much more expensive cans...no joke!
I also think the M50's have better bass power and extension than either of the more expensive headphones.
Oh...and give 'em some burn-in time for them to sound their very best.

Thanks for your sharing! It's good for reference, It's helpful to me.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
Go for it!
I love mine, and sometimes, with some material, I actually prefer to listen to them over my Sennheiser HD650 and my AKG K701!
They sometimes simply sound more alive and more fun than either of these much more expensive cans...no joke!
I also think the M50's have better bass power and extension than either of the more expensive headphones.
Oh...and give 'em some burn-in time for them to sound their very best.

You had mentioned there's some material that is more enjoyable through the M50s than through your HD650s.  Could you give some examples? 

The reason I ask is I've only just recently started climbing down the headphone rabbit hole.  I'm enjoying my Sennheiser HD595s, but the creeping monster of self-doubt has me wondering if I'd be happier with the HD600 or 650.  I've not yet convinced myself to lay out the money to upgrade to either of the 6xx phones (plus the requisite amplification).  Recently, it hit me... maybe the smarter thing to do would be to keep the 595s and buy some contrasting headphones, like the M50s.  While it'd be great to have one headphone that's "the best for everything," such a thing seems to be an untenable unicorn.

I understand the 595 has some significant differences from the 6xx phones.  But many say the 595s forte is acoustic music, and to some extent movies/gaming due to its open soundstage.  I do appreciate it for that, but I also listen to a lot of rock (Dire Straits and Nine Inch Nails are probably my most-played artists).  I haven't had any complaints with the 595s on this music, but I'm wondering if the grass may be greener... I was able to audition the M50s once, for about 20 minutes at a Guitar Center, in their DJ room (not much of an audition).  I must confess that even when I unplugged it from the mixing console and hooked it to my phone, I was very impressed!  Wish I'd had a chance to spend more time with them.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #20 of 21
Had my M50's for over a year now and still love them, we will never part! Solid, great low end.  

unfair to compare them to the 650's though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back