About to buy ath m50s...bit nervous
Jul 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Rock n Rolla

Head-Fier
I have heard a lot of good things about these cans, but before I pull the trigger, I just want to check once more. How do you all like the m50s? Also how does the sound compare to senns hd600s?

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 21
the m50 isn't on the same level as a hd600.
but, then it sells for less than $100, and the hd600 sells for about $300 or more.
also, it's sort of comparing apples and oranges.
neutral open cans vs. colored closed cans.  etc.

i think they'd be a good counterpoint to you sennheisers...

i love my m50s, man.
i always recommend them for cans at their price range.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
the m50 isn't on the same level as a hd600.
but, then it sells for less than $100, and the hd600 sells for about $300 or more.
also, it's sort of comparing apples and oranges.
neutral open cans vs. colored closed cans.  etc.

i think they'd be a good counterpoint to you sennheisers...

i love my m50s, man.
i always recommend them for cans at their price range.

Yup, TheWuss has it all right. Very different sound and experience to the HD600. Also, a very good one. They are closed and 'close'. Little soundstage (like IEM's) and good punch. Solidly built and relatively portable.

If you're going to be moving around with them, get the coiled cable, not straight.

You won't go wrong with the M50's.

shane

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 21
I just went through this same scenario. Already owning the HD600 and purchasing the M50 as a closed headphone for recording and other genres. Great purchase for a counterpart IMO

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 21
Go for it!
I love mine, and sometimes, with some material, I actually prefer to listen to them over my Sennheiser HD650 and my AKG K701!
They sometimes simply sound more alive and more fun than either of these much more expensive cans...no joke!
I also think the M50's have better bass power and extension than either of the more expensive headphones.
Oh...and give 'em some burn-in time for them to sound their very best.

Jul 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 21
I have been using my M50s for a few months and absoluetly love them.  They are a steal at their price.  I listen to a lot of Electronica, specifically progressive house, and they sound awesome.  I use them at work, unamped, straight into an ipod and they sound awesome.  I actually look forward to listening to my music each day in anticipation.  To me that is the mark of a good headphone over all the other million specs and what not.

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 21
Go for it dude! They don't need amplification to sound great, but even a mini3 gives them more bite. This is one of the closed cans that I always keep recommending as they're great all-arounders for nearly every genre.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 21
m50 are less resolving, less resolution with more deep + mid bass quantity, slightly recessed mids, and slightly metallic highs, and its less bright overall. its more fun and sounds more live than hd600 sometimes. it will play out of your mobile/laptop/ipod but it will improve with higher current. 

but a properly amped hd600 is clearly better in quality overall and shines with classical and jazz, m50 for the rest...

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #14 of 21
you really can't go wrong with the M50 especially for the price.  They are not perfect, but for the price they are definitely a pretty solid buy.  I enjoy my M50 works well with a lot of genre and they sound smooth.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 21
Lots of truth written here this morning... 
atsmile.gif

M50 is wickedly good, and for the price is outrageous. They are my go-to mobile cans... well, in my house that is. Outside I wear IEM's.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back