About to buy ATH-M50. Any other cans I should look at?
Apr 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think some of you are confusing just what HiFi is. It's not about price and high-end only, it's a product that is meant to give a pleasing (possibly colored) SQ for the home stereo user. M50 is meant as a studio headphone which means it is meant to give a flat spectrum frequency response with as little coloration as possible. What you are calling HiFi are actually reference level headphones which are beyond the price point of many people. That doesn't mean lesser costing headphones are not also HiFi. That's my take on it anyway.

I think this is a nice definition. For the M50 however, I find the frequency response is not flat. At least to my ears
smile.gif
the mids are recessed. I still like them for traveling. I had before for traveling the AKG p26 and the M50 were a jump...

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't understand this statement as according to your sig you don't even own the ath-m50's yet so how would you know? please refrain from giving advice until you have actually used them for extended periods of time.

yeah sorry i need to update my sig... there... all better now?

May 5, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #49 of 63
It looks like the ATH-M50s cannot be beaten at its price point or at this moment in time. No wonder it's getting so popular here. (The new Shures won't be available for another couple of months.) I'll wait for a couple more days to see if there is any reply to my postes re the Ultrasone line-ups that I just put up. After that, it's the purchase time!

May 8, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #52 of 63
I'm not sure where you are at in your search, but I wanted to give my impressions on the M50 after having them for a few weeks now. I'd say they are very utilitarian and serve their intended purpose well (studio applications). I'm content with them because this is what I wanted, but they may not be as "enjoyable" as other phones out there. They are very reveling and have a fairly small soundstage. If I were looking for more of the audiophile experience, I would want a larger soundstage. I'm not sure if that is a priority for you or not though. I am happy with their sound representation. but keep in mind, they are rather reveling of poorly recorded/mixed music.

May 8, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #53 of 63
Thanks for the cautionary words. I think you are the second person who mentioned that the M50s are "narrow" or trying to squeeze the sound. I wonder how they'd compare to a set of studio headphones like the K702/701 whose signature I like.

I'm currently also exploring the Ultrasone range of headphones.

May 8, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #54 of 63
I can only speculate, but as the K701 are open phones, I think there would be quite a difference in that regard. I don't hear "squeezed" sound, but it def is not a wide soundstage.

May 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mzd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only speculate, but as the K701 are open phones, I think there would be quite a difference in that regard. I don't hear "squeezed" sound, but it def is not a wide soundstage.

ATH-M50s do have a pretty wide soundstage for closed headphones after extensive burn-in. They need at least 100 hours to fully open up.

May 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #57 of 63
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I just bought the M50s. Will try to report my experience after burn-in. At the end, while the Ultrasones looked very impressive, the M50s are only 1/6 of the price compared to the PRO 900s. I cannot wait to see my new phones.

May 23, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. I just bought the M50s. Will try to report my experience after burn-in. At the end, while the Ultrasones looked very impressive, the M50s are only 1/6 of the price compared to the PRO 900s. I cannot wait to see my new phones.

You can compare the M-50 more to the Pro/PL550/DJ-1.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like the ATH-M50s cannot be beaten at its price point or at this moment in time. No wonder it's getting so popular here. (The new Shures won't be available for another couple of months.) I'll wait for a couple more days to see if there is any reply to my postes re the Ultrasone line-ups that I just put up. After that, it's the purchase time!

My trusty *really old* ER6's lost the right channel during a month-long trip to SE Asia, The M50's did a great job in the air on the way back (as well as on the ground while I was there). I picked up a pair of cheap IEM's (Philips SHE9700) that were so bad I wound up giving them away. Glad I brought the M50's. Not flat but pretty damn good isolation and authoritative sound. Really pleasant to listen to for 12 hours in the air, not fatiguing at all. Sometimes it is better not over-think things and just enjoy the music.

HF5's on the way to replace the ER6's and I am noodling which IEM to pair with the SR71-A that is on order, but these cans are going to stay. Sound fine un-amped; better amped of course. Built like a B**** S*** House to boot.

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #60 of 63
I have now owned the M50 for slightly less than a week. They are more than OK for rock and other guitar music. They are great for electronic music (Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada etc.), superb for jazz and they shine and are doubleplusawesome on ambient. They are able to reproduce every little detail, both low and high. Every crackle crackles, every subtle percussion instrument sounds like it's right there next to you.

Soundstage is OK, but not special. My ATH-FC700 has a bigger soundstage. Build quality is excellent.

The comfort also is exceptional; I can wear them for hours and hours without a problem...although I haven't had them on while it was very hot yet.

In my conclusion, at this price point, you can get 'funner' (more bass slam etc.) phones, but you will lose in detail. Or you can with the M50's detail, but live with its more analytical sound. Very much recommended headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back