About to buy ATH-M50. Any other cans I should look at?
Jun 6, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #61 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by leokennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have now owned the M50 for slightly less than a week. They are more than OK for rock and other guitar music. They are great for electronic music (Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada etc.), superb for jazz and they shine and are doubleplusawesome on ambient. They are able to reproduce every little detail, both low and high. Every crackle crackles, every subtle percussion instrument sounds like it's right there next to you.

Soundstage is OK, but not special. My ATH-FC700 has a bigger soundstage. Build quality is excellent.

The comfort also is exceptional; I can wear them for hours and hours without a problem...although I haven't had them on while it was very hot yet.

In my conclusion, at this price point, you can get 'funner' (more bass slam etc.) phones, but you will lose in detail. Or you can with the M50's detail, but live with its more analytical sound. Very much recommended headphone!

this is EXACTLY what i think about the m50. except i hear some sibilance, which i suspect is because of the way my ears are shaped, because noone else seems to hear it.

May 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #63 of 63
I went to my local guitar center and the salesman let me try on the m50s because the box was jacked up. He also pointed me to the shure840 and dt770 but he didn't let me try those
frown.gif
. He did say however that the shures were just as good if not better than the dt770s, but in the end I decided to get the m50s. I don't own many sets of headphones and I'm not that much of an audiophile but I have the ad700s and they are awesome so I put my trust in audio technica. I can say that I'm content with my purchase and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I also had the chance to test them side by side with the beats by dr dre...yea I know alot of people hate them etc...but in comparison I think that the m50s provided a more pleasurable listening experience compared to the bass heavy beats at more than double the price. For the category of noise cancelling the m50s are decent. I think my brothers hd280s are better for NC and the best NC headphones I have heard by far would be the Bose QC 15 but the sound blows for $300. If you get the m50s you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back