About to buy ATH-M50. Any other cans I should look at?
Apr 29, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #31 of 63
We are talking headphones and not irrelevant hifi stereo gear. I would say my DT990pro are HiFi headphones and the M50 are close enough that I would say they are HiFi but geared more towards studio use.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are talking headphones and not irrelevant hifi stereo gear. I would say my DT990pro are HiFi headphones and the M50 are close enough that I would say they are HiFi but geared more towards studio use.

Gee, sorry to bother you with my "irrelevant hi- fi" reference. The man asked a question and I gave him an answer. There is an old saying: "you don't know what you don't know". Take your piss-ant DT 990's and.... have a nice life.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #33 of 63
BTW Milkfag, What is your problem?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Il Mostro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the best *music* I have heard was from old bookshelf speakers in a place serving a good facsimile of Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches in, of all places, L.A. Like Dr. Tim said "set and setting". Music isn't about the minutia -- which is why I dig the M50's.

What exactly is it that got your knickers in a knot?

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #34 of 63
You said the M50 aren't HiFi so he asked you what HiFi is then and you post about a stereo system when it is obvious he is asking what you consider HiFi headphones are and not stereo gear. Doh!

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my M50s yesterday. Sound quality is good and more neutral than my DT990pro but I prefer the SQ of DT990pro overall. ... Decent headphones but won't be replacing my DT990pro any time soon. M50 I will mostly use for guitar practice.

Hi Milkweg, thanks for suggesting this. After looking the DT990 Pro up, I noticed that it's an open back headphone. I already have a K702 so am really looking for a closed-back headphone right now to complement them. But thanks for bring this up.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayeshrc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah right. thats why they're metalliance certified and starting to be recommended here a lot. im not saying they're absolutely hi-fi, but they're close. on a budget they're as hi-fi as you can get.

i don't understand this statement as according to your sig you don't even own the ath-m50's yet so how would you know? please refrain from giving advice until you have actually used them for extended periods of time. you are doing the op a disservice by mentioning they are metalliance certified, which means nil as it is mainly a marketing body not to mention that audio technica is a marketing partner:

The Music Engineering & Technology Alliance (METAlliance) - 'It's about the music.'

as for wether they are 'hifi', i own a pair (check my profile) and they are most definitely not hifi. don't get me wrong, they are fun to use and listen to, but my recabled hd580's are not considered hifi and they blow the pants off my mth-m50's.

hifi headphones are PS1000's, hd800's, he60's, he90's, high end stax... the mth-m50's are field and studio headphones at best, and even then they do not have the heritage nor the industry wide useage as some of its competitors, the hd280's and akg 271's are the first that come to mind.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #40 of 63
Yes, they are made in Taiwan. At least this was printed on the box of mine. I personally would consider the M50 also not as hifi. They are fun to listen and they pretend due to their extension in the highs more detail than they deliver.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #41 of 63
I found a thread about Ultrasone HFI-780s. They look very handsome. Has anybody had the chance to compare them with the M50s? Ultrasone is also into making professional headphones.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #42 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question I have for the German Maestro owners is: are they collapsable/foldable, like the ATH-M50s? It doesn't look that way from the pictures.

No, the GM's are not collapsable/foldable.
My Sennheiser HD380 is collapsable/foldable
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #43 of 63
wow, this thread kind of took a dive.
i guess it comes down to the best option that meets your needs. for me, two things kept me away from the higher end "hifi" phones: the need of a dedicated hp amp, and price.
also, i was able to give a few phones a listen at a store prior to ordering mine, so i had a bit of a comparison.
so it is important to find out exactly what your needs are.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #44 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Milkweg, thanks for suggesting this. After looking the DT990 Pro up, I noticed that it's an open back headphone. I already have a K702 so am really looking for a closed-back headphone right now to complement them. But thanks for bring this up.

beyerdynamic DT250 are closed headphones and are supposedly quite good, DT770 too.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallcaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hifi headphones are PS1000's, hd800's, he60's, he90's, high end stax... the mth-m50's are field and studio headphones at best, and even then they do not have the heritage nor the industry wide useage as some of its competitors, the hd280's and akg 271's are the first that come to mind.

I think some of you are confusing just what HiFi is. It's not about price and high-end only, it's a product that is meant to give a pleasing (possibly colored) SQ for the home stereo user. M50 is meant as a studio headphone which means it is meant to give a flat spectrum frequency response with as little coloration as possible. What you are calling HiFi are actually reference level headphones which are beyond the price point of many people. That doesn't mean lesser costing headphones are not also HiFi. That's my take on it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back