About to buy ATH-M50. Any other cans I should look at?
Apr 23, 2009 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

elitiste

Head-Fier
This is my first post under this section but I have been a lurker in the dark. I read a large amount of threads before I bought my AKG K702 and have been very happy with the purchase. It’s a wonderful headphone but, as always, is not suited for all situations. Now, I am looking to get another over-the-head headphone to complement my K702. (I heard that ear plugs destroys your hearing and causes ear-ringing but that’s a different topic.) My requirements are:
•Neutrality, like the K701/702, because I’ll be listening to a wide variety of music
•Portable, smaller and lighter than the K702, most likely collapsible like the ATH-M50
•Easy to drive, does not DEMAND an amp; I would be using it with a portable device like my Sony Ericsson cell phone; I also intend to buy a better PAD soon
•Noise isolation, I will be using it on the street, in an airplane, it will be a closed-back phone for sure
•Decent aesthetics to wear it out on the street or on a bus. This is, of course, highly subjective. That being said, I would say that the K702 is, IMO, not an attractive headphone for outdoors

I have been reading a great deal of good reviews about the ATH-M50. It appears to meet all my requirements. Plus, it is cheap (USD100 on eBay) and offers a bit more bass than the K702. I also looked at the Denons but heard that they are very “exciting” in sound (read hyped frequency response curve) and are of dubious build quality.

Most dealers here do not allow people to audition headphones, aside from a few most popular ones or in cases where the manufacturers offer free demo samples. I am forced to go blind again. I am about to get the M-50s but wanted to ask if there are other alternatives that I should consider. There are always new products (have you seen the new Shure monitor headphones?) or esoteric ones that I am not aware of. Thanks a lot.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 63
i'm not sure where you're located but i was able to bring my iPod into a local guitar center to try them out. it may depend on the salesman you get though. i tested the DT770-Pro 80 (def needed an amp) and the Audio Technica m40fs and M50.
i went with the M50 (bought on ebay though - price). i haven't tried the Denon's (D1001) but they do come highly recommended for comfortable listening. the new shure phones look promising as well and they are reasonably priced. if you can wait for the shures to be available, i'd say hold off. sounds like they might have demo models at apple stores, based on the thread.
but if you have any questions about the ATH-M50 let me know. i've had mine for about a week now.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 63
nice timing
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 63
I am interested to see the replys, as I am in a similar situation. I am looking for a pair of headphones to complement my akg 701s. However, I am just about to move into a dorm room, so the sound leakage issue was more important that the portability. I had just about settled on the m50s when I read about the upcoming Shure headphones.

Apr 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 63
that is definitely the matchup i want to see! i really think the m50s are great at their price point, but Shure is offering their top of the line headphones just a bit more then the m50s. plus i also believe that Shure has a more extensive network of retailers (such as the apple store) which should give us a chance to audition them. if you can hold out, i would. once you hear them you will be able to decide.

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 63
I am waiting for my M-50 to be delivered so can't comment on them just yet. Going by what I have read they are a good studio headphone and should fit your needs. Some people say they make your ears sweat but that is after wearing for extended periods in the studio so don't know how they are in that respect for home use.

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 63
hey, I have had a pair of ATH-M50 for about a week now, after reading lots of good new about them, i can say you will not be disappointed! I bought them because i needed some closed headphones for use in the library and on the street, and they do a job in isolating noise, and more importantly they do not seem to leak at all, at least at sane volume levels!

Overall i'm extremely happy with them, they sound very natural, non fatiging and are extremely comfortable, i can wear them for many many hours without discomfort. I'm driving them with my laptop and my sony ericsson W890i. My phone can drive them plenty loud and it still sounds fantastic through the phone!

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by malfayu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, I have had a pair of ATH-M50 for about a week now, after reading lots of good new about them, i can say you will not be disappointed! I bought them because i needed some closed headphones for use in the library and on the street, and they do a job in isolating noise, and more importantly they do not seem to leak at all, at least at sane volume levels!

Overall i'm extremely happy with them, they sound very natural, non fatiging and are extremely comfortable, i can wear them for many many hours without discomfort. I'm driving them with my laptop and my sony ericsson W890i. My phone can drive them plenty loud and it still sounds fantastic through the phone!

Thanks. I'll be using them in very similar situations so it's comforting to know that you are extremely pleased with it.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #13 of 63
Hi elitiste,
I have a pair of ATH-M50, mainly for traveling. In my opinion they don't need an amp, they sound fine from my portable CD player as well as from my MP3 player.
When I first got them I was disappointed because there was for my taste too much bass. But with the burn in this got a bit less and acceptable for me. What I like about them is that they are fast and give the muisc a lot of punch. They also give quite some detail - though I guess not as much as your AKG. I find the mids a bit laid back but this is something I can live with as well. I think they are great HPs for rock music but I am not sure if I would call them neutral - I think not. In your position, I would listen to them before you buy them because you said you want a neutral closed HP.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi elitiste,
When I first got them I was disappointed because there was for my taste too much bass. But with the burn in this got a bit less and acceptable for me. What I like about them is that they are fast and give the muisc a lot of punch. They also give quite some detail - though I guess not as much as your AKG. I find the mids a bit laid back but this is something I can live with as well. I think they are great HPs for rock music but I am not sure if I would call them neutral - I think not. In your position, I would listen to them before you buy them because you said you want a neutral closed HP.

Thanks Maddin for your comments. As suggested by another Head-fier, I went looked at the discussions at Gearslutz on the M50s. I guess you are right in saying that they are not totally neutral. Many a reviewer appear to think they have a boosted bass and warm mid range. That being said, the Gearslutz still give the M50s a sound endorsement based on its comfort, SQ and price. This is a recent threat: Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones are AWESOME - Page 2 - Gearslutz.com

The 31st post also gives a list of competitive models.

At its price, the M-50s may not be able to rival the K702 but I have yet to find a significantly better closed back headphone monitor thusfar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back