About the Sennheiser HD202
Jan 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ThePandemonium

100+ Head-Fier
How are the Sennheiser HD 202? I am asking this because ive never had a pair of full size headphones, and I want something to get me started. I would like to know how these are compared to my Klipsch Image X10. I know they wont come very close to what the Klipsch Image can do, but can they at least beat the Shure SE110? I just don't want to be disappointed, I just want something half decent.

I listen to mostly Rock (The Mars Volta, Portugal. The Man, The Who), so a decent bass response is good. If there is any other good starter headphones,do recommend. I've already looked at the Grado SR60, and SR80.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 13
Hi dude
The 202 are a smashing pair of phones,not only cheap but nice to listen to.
They sound great with rock and also handle many other genres well too.
And on top of that they isolate well too.
Dont underestimate them compared to your x10,just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they wont be as good or better.
As i dont have the x10's i cannot compare those but to me they are better than the shure 110 by miles.
You can't go wrong.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi dude
The 202 are a smashing pair of phones,not only cheap but nice to listen to.
They sound great with rock and also handle many other genres well too.
And on top of that they isolate well too.
Dont underestimate them compared to your x10,just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they wont be as good or better.
As i dont have the x10's i cannot compare those but to me they are better than the shure 110 by miles.
You can't go wrong.

Thanks for your input, I actually bought them before your response, and this makes me feel better. I got them for 20 bucks shipped so I really cant go wrong.. thanks.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 13
Brilliant price,you will really enjoy them.
I've two pairs myself and love them very much.
One thing i forgot to mention was how well these handle brass and string instruments.
It's hard to describe but they sound so 'brassy'
You will love them.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 13
I've got a feeling that I will get these and be like "holy crap, full sized headphones are awesome" Then like what happened to me with IEMs, I will buy the most expensive type I can.. I feel sorry for my wallet.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a feeling that I will get these and be like "holy crap, full sized headphones are awesome" Then like what happened to me with IEMs, I will buy the most expensive type I can.. I feel sorry for my wallet.

Yes thats true you will.
Believe me i am a can man and i spent most of last year trying to find a great pair of iems.
Shures,ety's,senns,klipsch,ue etc you name it i tried it.
Then after buying the pinnacle ones in universals ie8,530 etc i got a pair of aurvana full size,the one with the foster drivers as used in denon 1001's for a super deal at amazon,plugged them in and straight away they blew away all my iems,every one of em' lol.
Makes me wonder why i bothered rofl.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 13
Lows on them are a little overdone, and the highs don't extend very well and lots of dips. Of course, this is compared to headphones 5-10 times their cost, so can't really complain.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 13
i got them a few months ago, and for it's pricepoint, it can't be beat
rock sounds great on it, the bass is quite powerful (again, in it's price range)
for $20 on amazon, you might as well just take the plunge
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 13
i'm late to this party with a minority opinion, but i've found the HD202s to have highly variable quality- one pair sounded not too much inferior to my HD580s, while another pair [the ones i wasted my money buying] sounded so unpleasantly colored that i couldn't even listen to a talk show without feeling that my hearing had headed south on me. no amount of EQ could correct this coloration. so i believe i got burned when i bought these cans. or maybe i got sold a counterfeit version? i bought these because an acquaintance's pair of HD202s sounded so good. i was gyp'ed, i tell ya :frowning2:

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 13
I owned this headphone, now it's my little brother's. It sounds nice within the price range and it's quite bassy if you need bass response. They isolate external noise pretty good and I can't listen to people speaking with them on.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 13
I've owned these for about half a year, and [for their price range] I've never had much to complain about.  I basically keep them docked to my pc and mostly use them when my roommate is trying to sleep and doesn't want to hear my subwoofer all night.

@abby: It took some tampering, but I managed to find an EQ setting that balances it out fairly well (for my tastes, at least).  Mayhaps it will do someone else some good as well.

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm sorta trying to decide between getting myself a pair of HD-202s and a pair of MDR-7506s for my headphone upgrade soon. Currently own a pair of MDR-V150s and a pair of Bass Freqs, both of which I like, but wanna upgrade to something better.

The HD-202s got rave reviews, and since they're Senn's, you're probably going to get really good sound out of them, while the 7506 has a rep for having some of the best sound production out there, if not the best out there at a price the average joe can afford, and for being practically unkillable and lasting practically forever.

Although the HD-202s would hurt way less if they got lost, stolen, or broken, than the 7506 would, since they're lower-priced, and they would actually look kinda better out in public, since they got a sleeker design, and be nowhere near as cumbersome, while I could imagine the 7506 getting pretty cumbersome with its thick coiled cord.

*MDR-7506 also covers MDR-V6, since both models are practically identical.*

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 13
gotta just say... I own lots of headphones for monitoring ( fave probably beyer dt770 pro ), and listening, but for under £30 these are very very good. Seemed a bit bassy at first, but after just a few hours wearing in, the sound improved, and now I think they are pretty exceptional for the £. It's not often that I immediately like a set of cans but thumbs up for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back