AAW Capri Balanced Lightning Audio Cable, with Type-C variant
Sep 13, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #151 of 212
Got my replacement cable back too. Still hisses but it'll do for the noisy commute where I appreciate the physical controls and don't have to worry about the Apple dongle getting damaged or worn. Any other 2 pin to Lightning cables out there other than the Noble cable one?

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #152 of 212
I'm also looking for another 2pin to Lightning solution due to the Capri hiss. I can use my Apple Watch to control the music, so physical controls are not necessary for me.
the Noble cable looks interesting but it is not currently MFI certified. However, they informed me via email that they are in the process of getting the MFI certification. I hesitate to buy until it's certified because I previously had a non-MFI lightning to 3.5mm adapter stop working after an iPhone firmware update.
In the meantime, I prefer the Fiio i1 sound quality to both Capri and the Apple dongle. I just wish the Fiio wasn't so unwieldy.

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #153 of 212
I'm also looking for another 2pin to Lightning solution due to the Capri hiss. I can use my Apple Watch to control the music, so physical controls are not necessary for me.
the Noble cable looks interesting but it is not currently MFI certified. However, they informed me via email that they are in the process of getting the MFI certification. I hesitate to buy until it's certified because I previously had a non-MFI lightning to 3.5mm adapter stop working after an iPhone firmware update.
In the meantime, I prefer the Fiio i1 sound quality to both Capri and the Apple dongle. I just wish the Fiio wasn't so unwieldy.

Yes, I should have said it has to be MFI certified as well. Re the Watch, I didn't know you could do that - I was going to pre-order an non-cellular S3 Sport tomorrow - that'll come in handy!

Weirdly I've just tried the Capri on my 2nd gen iPad Pro and it's super quiet. Now I've tried it again on my 7 Plus and it seems quieter than the first time I listened to it. Maybe I didn't notice a software update earlier...

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #154 of 212
This is my story with the Capri Lightning cable, and it is a sad one. The below mails have been sent to Null Audio support, with just one useless reply.

Sent 09/20/2017:
Dear Null Audio support,
I received my Lightning Capri Cable. I tried it with iPhone 7 and iPad Air and am totally disappointed. What I got from you is a peace of junk. It has nothing to do with the tech specs that you published.

Now I wonder if you have broken the device with your latest firmware? The state that I have can not have been shipped before, users would have complained in all channels about the low volume of the cable!

Here is a simple comparison of the Apple dongle with the Capri cable, with an output signal of 0 dBFS 1 kHz sine.

Apple Dongle @ 16 Ohm
iPhone 7: 480 mV = -4.1 dBu, 15 mW
iPad Air: 970 mV = +1.9 dBu, 59 mW

Capri Cable @ 16 Ohm
iPhone 7: 190 mV = -12 dBu, 1,2 mW
iPad Air: 190 mV = -12 dBu, 1,2 mW

Apple Dongle @ 32 Ohm
iPhone 7: 470 mV = -4.3 dBu, 7 mW
iPad Air: 980 mV = +2.0 dBu, 30 mW

Capri Cable @ 32 Ohm
iPhone 7: 290 mV = -8.5 dBu, 2,6 mW
iPad Air: 290 mV = -8.5 dBu, 2,6 mW

Output level / volume loss of Capri against Apple Dongle:

iPad Air: 32 Ohm -10.5 dB, 16 Ohm -13.9 dB
iPhone 7: 32 Ohm -4.2 dB, 16 Ohm -7.9 dB

These numbers can not be as you advertize the cable with 128 mW @ 16 Ohms, and that's why I bought it. I need more power than the Apple dongle provides. These numbers also question your tech spec of an output impedance of <1.0 Ohms. How can the output level drop then by 3.5 dB when changing from 33 to 16 Ohms?

Current firmware is 2.1.9.

Awaiting your reply

Sent 09/24/2017:
Dear Null Audio support,
I have sent the below mail on September 20. Did you receive it? I have not heard from you so far, and the state of the information contained below should bring you in full alert mode!

> Received 09/24/2017:
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. We are checking on the specs and will get back to you later.

Sent 09/29/2017:
Dear Null Audio support,
I am amazed how long you need to check that your cable works as advertized. My measurements took 5 minutes. I am waiting on a comment from you now for 9 days...

Sent 10/09/2017:
Well,
due to you not replying nor contacting me in any way the obvious conclusion is: you do have serious problems, my measurements are all correct, and the product is not at all what you still advertize on your website.

This is my last attempt to keep this silent. If you don't reply with something more meaningful than 'we are checking' within the next 48 hours I will go public/online with my findings.

Nothing received even 5 days later. Note that I got a second generation cable supposedly hiss-fixed. Indeed there is no hiss with a ProPhile 8, but with a lower volume as the Apple dongle that would have been even more hilarious. Note also that I have a EU iPhone which has lower output level than a US one due to EU regulations (but that doesn't influence/change the Capri values at all). You can draw your own conclusions from the above. Mine are:

- Null Audio / AAW failed measuring and real-world testing already in the first stage, otherwise they would not have shipped cables with audible hiss and a too low mic volume

- The few tech specs that they published are not measured/real world values, but just written down from the components data sheet

- The cable is not worth buying

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #155 of 212
This is my story with the Capri Lightning cable, and it is a sad one. The below mails have been sent to Null Audio support, with just one useless reply.

Sent 09/20/2017:
Dear Null Audio support,
I received my Lightning Capri Cable. I tried it with iPhone 7 and iPad Air and am totally disappointed. What I got from you is a peace of junk. It has nothing to do with the tech specs that you published.

Now I wonder if you have broken the device with your latest firmware? The state that I have can not have been shipped before, users would have complained in all channels about the low volume of the cable!

Here is a simple comparison of the Apple dongle with the Capri cable, with an output signal of 0 dBFS 1 kHz sine.

Apple Dongle @ 16 Ohm
iPhone 7: 480 mV = -4.1 dBu, 15 mW
iPad Air: 970 mV = +1.9 dBu, 59 mW

Capri Cable @ 16 Ohm
iPhone 7: 190 mV = -12 dBu, 1,2 mW
iPad Air: 190 mV = -12 dBu, 1,2 mW

Apple Dongle @ 32 Ohm
iPhone 7: 470 mV = -4.3 dBu, 7 mW
iPad Air: 980 mV = +2.0 dBu, 30 mW

Capri Cable @ 32 Ohm
iPhone 7: 290 mV = -8.5 dBu, 2,6 mW
iPad Air: 290 mV = -8.5 dBu, 2,6 mW

Output level / volume loss of Capri against Apple Dongle:

iPad Air: 32 Ohm -10.5 dB, 16 Ohm -13.9 dB
iPhone 7: 32 Ohm -4.2 dB, 16 Ohm -7.9 dB

These numbers can not be as you advertize the cable with 128 mW @ 16 Ohms, and that's why I bought it. I need more power than the Apple dongle provides. These numbers also question your tech spec of an output impedance of <1.0 Ohms. How can the output level drop then by 3.5 dB when changing from 33 to 16 Ohms?

Current firmware is 2.1.9.

Awaiting your reply

Sent 09/24/2017:
Dear Null Audio support,
I have sent the below mail on September 20. Did you receive it? I have not heard from you so far, and the state of the information contained below should bring you in full alert mode!

> Received 09/24/2017:
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. We are checking on the specs and will get back to you later.

Sent 09/29/2017:
Dear Null Audio support,
I am amazed how long you need to check that your cable works as advertized. My measurements took 5 minutes. I am waiting on a comment from you now for 9 days...

Sent 10/09/2017:
Well,
due to you not replying nor contacting me in any way the obvious conclusion is: you do have serious problems, my measurements are all correct, and the product is not at all what you still advertize on your website.

This is my last attempt to keep this silent. If you don't reply with something more meaningful than 'we are checking' within the next 48 hours I will go public/online with my findings.

Nothing received even 5 days later. Note that I got a second generation cable supposedly hiss-fixed. Indeed there is no hiss with a ProPhile 8, but with a lower volume as the Apple dongle that would have been even more hilarious. Note also that I have a EU iPhone which has lower output level than a US one due to EU regulations (but that doesn't influence/change the Capri values at all). You can draw your own conclusions from the above. Mine are:

- Null Audio / AAW failed measuring and real-world testing already in the first stage, otherwise they would not have shipped cables with audible hiss and a too low mic volume

- The few tech specs that they published are not measured/real world values, but just written down from the components data sheet

- The cable is not worth buying

Actually the logic behind that choice is simple. Though the max rating of the hardware on Capri is significantly higher than standard iPhone, but it can be configured either from 0 to 100% through its firmware. As we know that iOS has a fixed steps of volume adjustments, if we put Capri to its max rating, which we did in previous firmware versions, each of the adjustment step is too great for a lot of sensitive IEM. One step up it is too loud and one step down it is quite not loud enough, so we got huge complaints about those. As the majority of users are with high sensitivity iems and also we do not want to risk it since we just patched away the hissing issue. It is logical to start with a milder gain and see the feedback.

The only solution to your problem is a user changeable gain, which we are working on. It will go with subsequent firmware releases but we don’t have a firm date yet.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #157 of 212
Since the latest iOS update mine keeps disconnecting - i.e. I'll have the cable plugged in but then playback pauses and when you hit play again the phone starts playing music through the speakers... might have to try the Noble Lightning cable (is it certified?) since I can now have an Apple Watch which lets you control volume etc.

Oct 14, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #158 of 212
Hi, so what is the consensus now? I'mm about to get a Lightning cable for my SE535 and SE846, almost thought I should go with Capri but after reading this thread it seems that Sures cable is the better option?

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #159 of 212
I have the shure cable (and the Capri cable, but its still the original hissy version) and the phrase that just keeps coming to mind with the shure cable is "turnkey solution" (and I hate that phrase). It. Just. Works. I'm using it with the se846 and I have enough volume, no (detectable to me ) hiss (and the original Capri hiss was obvious to me). I wished the plastic on the MMCX connectors was the 'new' style (like on the iPhone cord), but that's mostly an aesthetic thing. The shure cable feels trademark shure toughness, but because of that, does have a little memory if you ball it up in case and let is sit there for a a while. Simply put, if you (or anyone) gets the shure lightning cable, I would be surprised if you ever looked for other options. The shure cable is not beautiful, but its not as bad as it looks in the pictures (where I thought the Mic looked ENORMOUS, but it disappears in use).

The Shure bluetooth cable on the other hand...I have not heard good things with regard to using it with the 846's

Oct 14, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #160 of 212
Thank you thebrain,
It sort of make sense that Shure would make a stable solution when matches with their own IEM. For me, the cables have always felt a bit of "Volvo" - stable, safe but not very exciting (the IEM themselves are another matter!)
The memory effect can be a bit annoying, I think, but I don't feel they look that bad, even compared to AAW Capri.
As for a Bluetooth solution, I would live it, but as long as I don't get at least 5h playing time, no dropouts even with the mobile in a backpack and same sound quality as a decent cable, then I am not really interested. Getting rid of the Apple Lightning adapter and having a remote+mic is a priority. Also, having IEM plugged into the phone makes it easier for me not to lose it. :wink:

/Stefan

I have the shure cable (and the Capri cable, but its still the original hissy version) and the phrase that just keeps coming to mind with the shure cable is "turnkey solution" (and I hate that phrase). It. Just. Works. I'm using it with the se846 and I have enough volume, no (detectable to me ) hiss (and the original Capri hiss was obvious to me). I wished the plastic on the MMCX connectors was the 'new' style (like on the iPhone cord), but that's mostly an aesthetic thing. The shure cable feels trademark shure toughness, but because of that, does have a little memory if you ball it up in case and let is sit there for a a while. Simply put, if you (or anyone) gets the shure lightning cable, I would be surprised if you ever looked for other options. The shure cable is not beautiful, but its not as bad as it looks in the pictures (where I thought the Mic looked ENORMOUS, but it disappears in use).

The Shure bluetooth cable on the other hand...I have not heard good things with regard to using it with the 846's

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #161 of 212
might have to try the Noble Lightning cable (is it certified?) since I can now have an Apple Watch which lets you control volume etc.

I recently emailed Noble, and they replied that they expect to receive the MFI certification "later this year" for their Lightning cable. Because Apple Watch allows for making minute volume adjustments with the knob, I don't really need the inline controls of the Capri.
I will be purchasing the Noble Lightning cable as soon as it's MFI certified to replace Capri.

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #162 of 212
So I received the cable and the Kibiki IEM a while back. I gave the earbuds to my wife and she likes them. I kept the cable which has worked fine w/ all my iems, I don't get the hissing that some people have complained about and calls work fine, but I did noticed that it reduces the bass quantity on all my iems, which for the bassy ones it's fine, but not for the more balance ones, because I just miss that impact. Wondering if they could add the ability to EQ like Audeze does. Another thing, which is nitpicking, but the inline control section is a little too large for most of my IEM cases. But other than that, a very nice cable with lots of potential.

Oct 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #164 of 212
I recently emailed Noble, and they replied that they expect to receive the MFI certification "later this year" for their Lightning cable. Because Apple Watch allows for making minute volume adjustments with the knob, I don't really need the inline controls of the Capri.
I will be purchasing the Noble Lightning cable as soon as it's MFI certified to replace Capri.

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes out for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back