A700's and AD700s
Dec 18, 2010 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bbugs

New Head-Fier
I would like to purchase one of these. I have heard good things about both of them.  I will be using them at home, and on a bus occasionally.  Will the AD700s leak too much?  So much it is noticeable to others?  Also, I have heard the A700s lack in many areas.  Is this true?  I think closed back would be hot and sweaty after a while, also.  What are your thoughts?  These would be my first pair of "real" headphones. Thank you. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 17
Both are not built for portability, as they are big and bulky and look kinda goofy. Also, the AD700s are open backed, and thus leak sound out and in easily.

And yes, many people say the A700s are inferior to the AD700s.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 17
I suggest you look for IEMs if you are going on a bus, or at least closed headphones that isolate well. Bus is LOUD by audiophile standards, you could unknowingly turn your headphones too loud. 

With a budget of $150, you could look for something better than AD700. Also unless you really have to have a brand new one, I actually suggest buying one used from the sales forum here.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 17
The Shures are an excellent choice with its deep bass extension, clear midrange and well extended highs, you'll really enjoy those if you decide to purchase them.  Also your previous question-IEMs are short for IN EAR MONITORS, basically your in ear phones but instead of ear buds that sit outside the ear, iems sit inside the ear canal.  The advantage with this design is that outside noise is almost completely reduced to zero allowing the user to listen to music at safe levels protecting the user's hearing.  Another advantage is iems are much easier to drive than full-size headphones because they use less voltage due their much smaller size.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 17
Okay, so I read more and more about the Shure 840. Half of the people love it, half hate it. What I need is an over the ear headphone, that are portable, comfy, and sound good by audiophile standards. I can spend $130-150 if I have too.

P.S. I know most of you despise Bose, but they are the only "good" headphones I have ever listened to. Will the headphones I'm looking at sound better than Bose QC?

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Thank you for the reply. Im looking for full size headphones, that meet these requirements: Comfy, portable, sound good, and under $150. I generally listen to coffee house, alternative, rock, and some metal. As for bass, I don't need a lot (like the muddy "beats"), but enough you hear it, you know? Not a lot, but enough it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back