A100 vs. D1100 showdown. A(nother) humble critique.
Nov 18, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #31 of 44
tobacco , I don't understand you. What are you talking about ? Have you even listened to the a100? If so you can't tell it is more forward sounding than previous denons?
where does frequency response come into this, I simply said the 100 is more forward sounding than the 2000 .
The vocals seem to be more forward in a sense which I think Is a great thing

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #32 of 44
I'm asking if it's technically possible to have more lows and mids while still retaining the highs. Since people seem to have different views we need a frequency response graph, but apparently there isn't one for D1100 and A100 right now.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #33 of 44

Hey guys, I just got my a100 from onecall today.
Well-_-; I just had listened to it for a couple of hours. It may not be fair to decribe this little doll( yeah, much tinier than I expected) at this moment.
First impression was nooo~ good. I did not mean it really sounded bad but just did not meet my expectation.
I dont have its brothers, d2000, d5000 or d7000 to compare, but I had tried them in a JR retail store before. I would say, in my opinion, a100 is a bit better than d2000, but to d5000 and d7000, urhhhh~~~~. I dont know how to describe, a100 is dry, and lack of energy compare to d7000,  it tends to present more detail than d5000 even witout amping. But its sound stage was kinda samll and "weird",come on, it should be a new 50mm driver.
Since I have audiotechnica w5000 , hd650 and grado 325i  at home and also owed a audiotechnica es9 before, I would like to make a brief first-impression comment compared to them. A100 is born for glasses man, yeah, if you wear glasses and do not need to worry about its "tiny" 50mm driver. It is much more comfortable than es9, es9 is definitely not designed for glasses-wear even if it is molded with DIY padding. For sound quality, a100 was more balanced than es9, but once again, i did not feel it got a larger driver or I should say its larger driver did not present a larger sound stage compared than es9.
For the comparison of rest of big non-kinship brothers, a100 is no competitor at this no-amping moment. Maybe closed to no-amp hd650, but not to the other twos.
I will give it chances and try it more with amp and different kinds of music later. But i wont return it even if  it is not worth with the price tag, because, well, I like collecting stuff-_-;I mean headphones, yeah, it is my fault.Oh, for the above impression, I used most classiscal , Japanese Pop with female vocal and Kenny G

Best

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #36 of 44
Ive been thinking about getting the A100 for a while now but this review may have changed my mind again and I will prolly go for the 1100's and put the money i save into a new amp or maybe the sennheiser 650s and 1100 (i can get both for the price of the a100s lol :)

There was just something about how goooooood the 100s look and the box they came in that wanted me to get the so bad :)

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #37 of 44
The D1100 are stupidly good for the money, i was thinking about the A100 , mainly because of the 100 year exclusivity but in UK its over £400 more than the D1100. That is silly for some wooden cups and better pads.

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #38 of 44

Quote:
The D1100 are stupidly good for the money, i was thinking about the A100 , mainly because of the 100 year exclusivity but in UK its over £400 more than the D1100. That is silly for some wooden cups and better pads.

agreed!! I don't own a pair of d1100 but for the short time I tested it, it was a great pair of cans for sure!!

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #39 of 44
It's not quite my kind of headphone even if had big expecations and thought it would suit me and I personally prefer even XB500 over it but I can see the strengths some people would like about it like the instrument separation and soundstage is suprisingly good, the upperbass is strong & punchy but it decays quickly so it doesn't mudden up the midrange too much and highs are never too sharp or edgy to provide any hint of sibilance. For me it's too laid-back sounding and midrange far too recessed and the positioning is somewhat off for my taste when I prefer that very forward/warm sound like I'd be standing on the stage instead of in the crowd and also deep bass output wasn't quite satisfying, rolled off too soon for my taste so the result is very unbalanced deep/upper bass ratio, among the stronger upper bass output you find to the a bit below average closed bassy headphone deep bass output. Examples of headphone with better deep bass capability is probably for example Denon D2000/5000/7000, XB500/700, Ultrasone 580/780/900, Beyer D770/880/990, Shure 750DJ, Sennheiser HD212 Pro to mention a few while in the upper bass the output is stronger than all those except XB500.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #40 of 44
For me, i was planning to buy the AH-D5000s but is it really worth buying the AH-A100? First you need to know that I'm patient and will allow for these to break-in with white noise and a lot of time. I will NOT use these for a few hours and judge their performance as soon as I hear them. Second you must know that I do not plan on buying the AH-D7000s, for financial reasons (Too Expensive), so be sure to cross those out. And third, I've been wanting the AH-A100s for a while now, so I do anticipate owning them. 
So what do you recommend? BTW - I plan to amp them with an Arrow Amp.
Thanks,
A1811

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #42 of 44

Quote:
For me, i was planning to buy the AH-D5000s but is it really worth buying the AH-A100? First you need to know that I'm patient and will allow for these to break-in with white noise and a lot of time. I will NOT use these for a few hours and judge their performance as soon as I hear them. Second you must know that I do not plan on buying the AH-D7000s, for financial reasons (Too Expensive), so be sure to cross those out. And third, I've been wanting the AH-A100s for a while now, so I do anticipate owning them. 
So what do you recommend? BTW - I plan to amp them with an Arrow Amp.
Thanks,
A1811

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/529330/is-this-a-good-deal

enjoy!

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #43 of 44

Please say in what way it is better?
Were you talking about soundstage, clarity, highs, mids, bass?

Quote:

I would say, in my opinion, a100 is a bit better than d2000, but to d5000 and d7000, urhhhh~~~~.

Oh, for the above impression, I used most classiscal , Japanese Pop with female vocal and Kenny G

Best

May 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #44 of 44
hi everbody,
i have just got a pair of Denon D5000s, so i can make a brief comparision between them and the A100s. I listen directly from laptop without an amp:
My initial opinion is that Denon D5000s is farrrrrrrrrrr worse than A100s=.=
My old A100s is more clear, a bit more detailed and much more intimate than the D5000s. The D5000s has a far-from weird sound with small volume of mids and treble. i'm very disappointed coz i have never thought that the different of two headphones having same price and from a same brand is that big.
But I don't think that because my laptop doesn't have enough power to drive the D5000s(only 25ohms) or the D5000s have a large soundstage compares to the A100s(my friend's suggestion).
So i returned the D5000s immediately without caring if they are error product or they really need a burn-in process
rolleyes.gif
(i really had a lot of things to buy but less money then)
p/s: anyway i recognized the denon d5000s have more solid mid-bass and deeper low bass than A100s, non-resonate effect(that annoys me sometimes on the A100s), and although more weighty, they are more comfortable to wear than the A100s.
sorry for my bad English
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back