A worthy replacement for the MylarOne X3
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jhumur

Head-Fier
I owned a pair of Crossroads MylarOne X3 for about 2 years. I loved those headphones; loved the sound they made...so much so that I reached for the X3s before the ATH-ES7 or even the Grado SR60. Then, about a year ago, I fried the headphones by turning the volume up on my laptop all the way, not realizing that the phones were still plugged in.

It might sound silly, but I think I actually fell into a state of grief over the loss of the X3s. Everytime I though about the phones, I'd feel a sense of loss. Couldn't even bear to look at them anymore. So, I stashed them away for almost a year, and fell back on the ATH-ES7 and the Grado SR60. But, finally, with the start of a new year, I am ready to go ahead and find a new love.

So, here's my question: what in your opinion would be a good in-ear replacement for the MylarOne X3s? I'd like to stay below the $100 price range, but would consider spending a little more if the quality warrants it. I'll be using the set mostly with the laptop.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Another X3 owner here. I'll recommend ECCI PR401 to you. It shares a good degree of similarity on treble presentation, slightly more recessed on the mid in comparison, but has better bass and soundstage. It is also slightly harder to drive compared to X3, but shouldn't be a problem running out of a laptop. My review of PR401 is here.

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 5
iM590 is a good IEM, just a bit outdated in the fast moving market. It is still an upgrade over X3, but not as much as the ECCI. Maximo announced the 7 series at last year CES but it never did come to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back