A Three-Way Headphone Shootout (aka help me choose my first pair of Audiophile headphones)
Dec 16, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #16 of 43
Theres at least 2 people giving you advice about sound cards that know nothing of the Asus Essence STX.

I would suggest to anybody posting responses, the Essence audio card has a pretty darn good amplifier.

It puts out 80mW at 600ohms.. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 43
The sibilance of the DT990s as perceived by many may contribute to listening fatigue after a short while. Comfort wise it comes out tops though.

Both the DT990s and K702s require amping, with the K702s demanding both powerful and specific amplifiers that pair well with it. You would have to invest much more than just the cost of the headphones. I have the K701s (sonically similar to the 2s) and I can safely say it doesn't do too well with metal.

The DT990s are more versatile in terms of genre.

And the HD595s are uncomparable to these 2 cans. Consider the Sennheiser HD600s/HD650s instead, they are more musical and laid back in their presentation (the AKGs are too, to an extent) But they are also very good choices.

The main difference between these cans is sound signature. The AKGs have the widest soundstage/scape in my opinion and have the flattest, and thus most accurate representation. However, their flatness can be boring and fatiguing to the persistent listener. The Sennheisers are far warmer than the other 2 but are lovely as well. The 990s are very musical and somewhat colored as well.

The bottom line? If you aren't sure, try them out.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 43
I have the DT250 (80 ohm) paired with my essence STX. They are very neutral sounding.. as for getting 600ohm headphones I really wouldn't recommend it with a soundcard as it just isn't up to the task.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 43
I have no doubt that the amp in the Asus soundcard is good for a soundcard, but it just can't compete with an dedicated heapdhone amp, especially a tube amp paired with the 600ohm Beyers.  They don't just require strong current, but high voltage swings, along with the smoothness and musicality that tubes bring.  A soundcard can't do that.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #21 of 43
I agree with most of the posters here that the DT990 would probably be the best choice given your music tastes.  The 600ohm edition might stress your card a bit though.  You might also consider something like the Grado 325i, as it is often recommended for the genres you've listed.  If closed cans are an option, you also might want to take a look at the Denon AH-D2000/5000 or Ultrasone PRO 700/900, as they're also solid contenders in your music genres of choice (as well as being somewhat easier loads to drive).

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #22 of 43
This.  The Grado 325i won't have the bass presence to successfully convey electronic music, but it wouldn't definitely make your rock collection sound great.  I own the Pro 900s, and have tried the Denon D2000s and agree that those both would be great options.  They are easier to drive than the DT990/600, and have more bass.  Out of the two, I'd recommend the Pro 900s or 750s, as they are more forward and aggressive, which lends them better towards rock and electronic than does the D2000s, however you can't go wrong with any of those.

Quote:
I agree with most of the posters here that the DT990 would probably be the best choice given your music tastes.  The 600ohm edition might stress your card a bit though.  You might also consider something like the Grado 325i, as it is often recommended for the genres you've listed.  If closed cans are an option, you also might want to take a look at the Denon AH-D2000/5000 or Ultrasone PRO 700/900, as they're also solid contenders in your music genres of choice (as well as being somewhat easier loads to drive).

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 43
The DT990 250 and 600s have the same exact sound signature.  I have own both.  Once the mental burn in happens, you will love the sound signature they provide.  If you wish to remain without an external amp, then the 250 is the real option.  However, the E7/E9 combo from mica is such a powerful and versitile value; that it makes sense to give yourself a treat for Christmas.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 43
The DT990 250 and 600s have the same exact sound signature.  I have own both.  Once the mental burn in happens, you will love the sound signature they provide.  If you wish to remain without an external amp, then the 250 is the real option.  However, the E7/E9 combo from mica is such a powerful and versitile value; that it makes sense to give yourself a treat for Christmas.

I have a tube and and the e9.  The E9 sounds great with the 990s.  Although, the smooth nature of the tube make them the preferred amp.

Think about it this way.  A race car on a dirt track.  Sure it has enough power to get around the track, but only the rally has the control to make it a pleasing experience.  I think that is a horrible analogy, but it was all I could come up with.

Good luck!

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #25 of 43
I have to agree. I would still get an external amp. Maybe the Fiio E9. You won't need the E7 because your sound card already acts as a DAC. I still suggest the DT990, however there have been many reports of the treble being too harsh, like mentioned earlier it can become fatiguing. It also seems however that this is only the case for those with sensitive ears, which I suppose is a good thing haha. If you don't mind treble, and a lot of it, grab the DT990s for sure. The burn in time will help with the harshness of the treble. The STX is a great card. It's a shootout between that card and the forte, however it seems as though many people prefer the STX. You won't be disappointed. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #26 of 43
Regarding the STX, I used to own one and indeed it does have a pretty high output, actually it has the same 80 mW rating @ 600 ohms as the fiio e9, so give it a shot first with whatever you decide before spending the money on an external amp.  And FWIW, I enjoyed the 990s more than the K702 when I owned them.  They really are both different sounding headphones though.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #28 of 43

Quote:
I like the DT990/600 Ohms because it has a good balance of highs, mids, tight bass, and air. For what is cost, it is a bargain. IMO, K702 doesn't have the slam. It has good full bass, but lacks punch.

Totally agree plus k702/1 require dedicated amplifier driving them from reciever (Dennon 2310 in my case) doesn't help
If i would be you I would choose 250 Ohm version u will not need an amp to drive them. Yes they sound harsh right from the box but it will be gone after about 20 hours of burn-in plus any unwanted brightness or siblience could be removed by using Foobar's equalizer (just use Fooobar 2000 as your music player and adjust equalizer to your liking) I have no problems using them for about 2 hours sessions

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #29 of 43
Wow, I just realized the DT990s really are going for $180. That's a steal... Why don't they have the same deal for the DT880s :frowning2:

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #30 of 43
They're about $200 in Europe and w/ shipping it's $220 but they're still a good buy, right?

I'm thinking of getting something in the $200 price range, and the DT990/250 Ohm seems like a good buy. I've read the whole thread and I've seen different opinions regarding wheter the Essence ST/X will drive the 600 Ohms enough, but the 250 Ohms can hardly be a problem?
I'm still having hard choosing a good source for my headphones and the ST/X is $250 here in Sweden(dunno about other countries, but to me, that's expensive), perhaps you can get a more inexpensive source?

My budget for everything (headphones + source) is about $450 but I'd like to keep it a bit below that if possible, so if I can get anything cheaper than the STX but still get enough power for a pair of $200 phones, recommendations are welcomed. Both phones/source, though the DT990's seem like the best buy right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back