A thinking man's treble... In a portable?
Nov 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

riboMurf

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, this is practically my first post, and I apologize if I've broken any introduction rules. I'm a long time lurker and I thank you all for the pragmatic tone and great advice I've seen.

Now my problem. I'm back in the market for cans after using several low range all-stars for a few years, so I'm planning on burning in phones and evaluating them, and then returning them if I don't like them until I find what I want. I need them to be portable, as I use them as much while working in the lab as I do at home. And the best damned sound quality I can get for $200. This led me to...

Contestant #1 Senneheiser HD25-1 IIs. These things are legendary, and now I see why. The sound quality is damned good and they are lively unamped from all but the weakest sources. 20+ hours so far, and here's my thoughts...

SQ Likes: 

Lows:  Tight bottom end that tracks fuzzy bass guitar very well. No one-noting and very musical. It's powerful, which isn't something I value, preferring rather punchy bass, but I don't mind it at all. It's very fun. The mid-bass rides along nicely with the bass, lending fun to groovy tracks. I frequently walk with a shimmy to the basslines in these cans, to my slight embarrassment.

Mids:  The midrange I find, not bad, but a bit lifeless, especially in the upper end (2-5k, possibly not midrange, but I hear it that way). On a flat EQ the upper snap of a snare hit just lacks presence. Also the lower end of the cymbal shimmers, while there, is a few db's short of balancing the sparkle. Also, my favorite band is Radiohead, and you may know that Thom Yorke has a midrange voice, with a delicate and reedy falsetto. The HD25's seem to really dislike him, and as a rabid fanboy of Radiohead, I've no recourse, but to passionately trash them on the internet, hehehe.

Highs:  The 9k peak on the treble is the proverbial turd in the punchbowl of the upper freqs. It makes the trebles sound sharp and unnatural to my ear. I'd even say that they combine with the lack of presence at 2-5k to make the trebles whisperish and sharp to my ears.

Ergonomics:  They're slightly tacky, yet refined... as they say. I don't mind being seen in them, but my ego is fairly resilient to criticism, so looks are kind of cool with me in overall balance. They definitely say "I sound very good," or possibly "Do you know where the football game is I should be coaching?" The clamp pressure is a bit tight for me since I have plastic frame eyeglasses, so they fatigue me after about an hour (that treble doesn't help). They aren't especially uncomfortable, and the clamp force is nice on the street. I also can't seem to find the sweet spot on earcup height between two notches, but I'll get used to this. Overall a top notch piece of kit that reassures your stinging wallet somewhat.

Here's why I'm still looking:  That treble is just bugging me. At home, a bit of EQ to provide a 2-3db boost the 2-5k and a similar attenuation to the 9k peak produces a startling jump in SQ to me. As I turn the EQ on and off, the HD25's just jump to life with that subtle EQ adjustment, gaining separation and stage, with no loss in presence. However, I can't do this with my portable source, which is half of my listening at least.

My question is, are there other alternatives out there that address my SQ issues that arrive at the same price point? I've thought of Grados, as I don't mind if they're open. Some awareness on the street and not having to be shoulder tapped in the lab trumps SQ, and 90% of my walking everyday is on a park-like college campus not the street. From what I read the overall treble seems to be brighter, but more balanced, which may appeal to me. Any other recommendations fellas and fellettes?

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 11
I like the Senn's, and they're my "go-to" portable headphones.  
(And by portable I'm referring to headphones of that size.)

If you want to take a step up in sound quality, particularly openness and soundstage -
in the same price range - I have to recommend the Grado 225i, at least initially.

They're open, of course, and larger than the Senn's, but are really fine sounding headphones
for the money.  Other closed headphones in the same price range (e.g. ATH-M50, Shure 840, Beyer DT 770)
will sound different texturally than the Senn's, and you might like some slightly more (or less). 

The 225i offers a significantly different listening experience than those listed above.

Looking forward to what others have to say...

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Heya,

Assuming you want closed:

For on-ear, get the ESW9 or the Vmoda M80. Your search will end with one of those, I'm certain.

For over ear, look into the Shure SRH840, Fischer Audio FA-003 or a used Denon D2000. Again, I'm certain you'll like one of those enough to stop. That is, until you want high-end and are willing to go to that tier.

Very best,

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 11
I've seen the V-modas, but only in an Apple store which is about the worst place to demo them. I remember being unimpressed. The Shure 840s have long been on my radar. But for the size of over the ear cans, I'd have them.

I'd also like to add, that save for the treble issues, I really do like these cans, and they represent a great value, in that for 200 bucks you get very good sound that has little need for amplification, if any. They really like my iPhone 4 as a source, and I think that a small desktop tube amp may really hit the spot for them in the home. I just miss that shimmer of the EQ'd setup I have at home. If the iPhone allowed for a decent EQ, this whole thread would be moot.

Thanks for the replies!

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 11
If your only problem is the EQ for portable, there's an app called "EQu" that really drastically changes the sound. It recently got an update that lets it be used in the Multi-tasking bar and on the Lock Screen, so it's basically like the default music app. The only problem is the UI's buttons are small, which is sometimes a minor annoyance, but otherwise is fantastic. And it's just $2.99. :D

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 11
Try the Grado flavor for little money with either the SR60i $79USD or SR80i $100USD.

Still my favorite can for treble happiness under $250.

They reproduce acoustic and electric guitar like almost no other headphone. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 11
I'll ad another layer to this cake. I can get a new set of RS2i's at the local Hifi for $349. I'm going in to demo them tomorrow. I've read that they compare to the Senn 650s, so I'm very excited about hearing them. Loading the FLAC Player up with my must-hear albums.

What's the thoughts on this?

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I'll ad another layer to this cake. I can get a new set of RS2i's at the local Hifi for $349. I'm going in to demo them tomorrow. I've read that they compare to the Senn 650s, so I'm very excited about hearing them. Loading the FLAC Player up with my must-hear albums.

What's the thoughts on this?

Hmm, they're still a Grado at the end of the day. Presentation is forward compared to the Sennheiser which likes
to drop you back a few rows, RS2 is one of the sweetest most forgiving Grados in the lineup but it won't smooth
over everything like the HD650 with less than ideal recordings (which is a good thing in my book, it shows some bite)

As always, the RS2i will shine with minimal amplification ~ the HD650 needs a serious rig to really sound it's best.

Eg, In a basic soundcard scenario ~ the RS2i would be the better equipped can to shine from the word go.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
If your only problem is the EQ for portable, there's an app called "EQu" that really drastically changes the sound... And it's just $2.99.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, and for three dollars you HAVE to try it out before you look into other headphones.  I don't consider any time I'm "portable" to be serious music time, so I have no reason not to use an EQ, and no complaints while doing so.  EQu is practically an infinite parametric EQ.

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 11
I use FLAC Player and I can't get it to work with EQu :/

I've been noticing that the either these drivers or my ears are starting to give. Today I closed all my EQ settings down 1 db and enjoyed it. I even pulled the foamies from inside the ear cups, and it was fine with a touch of stage depth boost to my ears. It's still thin, but not so sibilant it seems.

I'd really love these cans to burn in and thicken up. I'm not crazy about jumping ship, as the form factor is perfect. I'm leaving them plugged in 24/7 to burn them in as much as possible before I make a ruling on them. I'm still stoked about demoing the RS2s. If they have fuller treble and upper mids, then I can turn the volume down some to comp for the overall increase. Plus the fact that it's a good performer sans-amp justifies the price if the quality is that good.

Nov 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 11
I've demo'd the Sr60i, 80i, 225i, and RS2i from the Grado line, and a few other notables from Shure, Beyerdynamic, AKG, and AT now, and I'm left with one impression.

The HD25 is a tough can to beat. Everywhere it gives up a point to a competitor, it scores two somewhere else. Out of all the Grados, it came down to the 225i and the RS2i, predictably, with the RS2 taking points for ambiance and luscious treatment of reverb and the 225i seeming more extended and open. Having gotten used to the top end of the HD25's the Grado wasn't overbearing, and in many ways is easier on the ears than the HD25s.

This may take awhile to sort out. The HD25 is really measuring up to its reputation as an headphile's swiss army knife, which is making this decision difficult. The tradeoff between open and closed is a real crux, fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back