A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm
Mar 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #61 of 115
How does this compare to the WA6SE or WA2?  Any thorough comparisons?

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #63 of 115
Quote:
How does this compare to the WA6SE or WA2?  Any thorough comparisons?

WA7 has a built in DAC. It is a high end, but simple all in one solution.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #64 of 115
I'll probably end up getting it any ways.  I'm debating a change from my V200 / Gungnir to something else... think I'll go with the WA7 and see where it takes me.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #66 of 115
Anyone heard the Pan Am w/ the HD600 or HD650? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm especially curious how this rates compared to the Bottlehead, for anyone who has heard both. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #67 of 115
I have not heard the Bottlehead to compare...but I think the WA7 is a fantastic pairing with the HD650. Even better than with my T1s (which surprised me!)

I have found the WA7 to be a little less transparent than my other amp (RWA Corvina).  And since the HD650 is not as detailed as the T1, I was thinking that this could lead to the veil I have always heard about with the Senns (but never actually experienced).  Not the case at all!

To me, the WA7 enhances everything good about the HD650...and looks great doing it. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #68 of 115
Hello folks - just a input on the on-going discussion from a HD800-user.

Before I bought the WA6-SE with upgrade tubes and WA7 - I listened to WA2, WA22 and the earlier mentioned Woo Audion products.
I would rate like this:

The star of the bunch was WA22 of course - lots of deliscious power and sound. Very clean tonality...
WA6-SE was number two easily with charm and tonality - however miss some power for the Hd800..

I felt WA2 and WA7 was couple of step down in quality.... And equal in sound - there was missing power and control...

At home the WA6-SE is still convincing and at office the WA7 in not yet burnt in and feels mediocre at the moment.
I've bought the tube upgrades and expect the WA7 to shine after the burn-in time! :)

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #70 of 115
Excellent review, & pics!!!  Thanks man!  I am leaning heavily on blowing part of my tax return on a good headphone rig, and the Woo just jumped to the top of my list for amps.  Cans would be new as well, I was leaning toward Hifiman HE500 or LCD 2  my guess is that either of these two amp/DACs would fit the the bill.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #73 of 115
Does it take the mini or standard USB connection?

Anyone found a difference in using any certain USB with the WA7?  I've been using an AudioQuest Forest USB ($35) with my other units but was curious whether going up the line would be beneficial with the Woo. WA7 should be here inside of a couple weeks (hopefully)...

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #74 of 115
Standard USB connection. I'd personally suggest putting your money towards a powered USB solution over spending on USB cables, though I do have a few here myself.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #75 of 115
I have a quick question regarding which media player you guys are using. All my library is in FLAC format with different sample rates from 44 KHz to 192 KHz. I have been using MediaMonkey to playback my library to the PanAm via USB. And today, I downloaded JRiver 18 to give a try. However, after setting up all the output the same way as I did in MediaMonkey (WASABI plug-ins) I got an errors message. Do you have any idea where this could come from? Does anyone have a solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back