A Tale of Two Tube Amps - The Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Audio PanAm
Feb 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 115
Nice to hear from a fellow hd800 owner w/ interest in the WA7.

What other amps have you heard the hd800s w/?

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #32 of 115
The Bryston bha and the Heed Canamp, which many say has similar SQ to the LBC. Both were quite punchy and precise, so the WA7 brought out a different side of the 800s that was new (and quite pleasing) to me.

Because a few have asked for photos of the setup...

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #33 of 115
Nice I have the cinema/thunderbolt display too
Quote:
The Bryston bha and the Heed Canamp, which many say has similar SQ to the LBC. Both were quite punchy and precise, so the WA7 brought out a different side of the 800s that was new (and quite pleasing) to me.

Because a few have asked for photos of the setup...

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #34 of 115
I must admit these are my two favorite amp/dac combos on the market right now, and have been (in the case of the Pan Am) for a while! Now that i own the WA7 i must give it the nod out of the two for build, design, and audible honey. For me personally either way I could never see the Pan Am as portable, but thats not its best feature anyway, it was that sound! I dint even get to roll the tubes and i was impressed. Great units both of them... But the WA7 ended up on my Parker side table. Theres a WA7 review of mine here somewhere I wont link, but it's not a comparative nor as precise as this piece, just a bit of fun.  Well done again Currawong, loved it.

mrbigsby, I wouldn't play down your review... it was yours that sold me on the WA7, so a very helpful bit of fun!

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #36 of 115
Wow, thanks Zuu111, your too kind. Im delighted i could help in your decision. I cant imagine you would ever regret your purchase. Not to sound like a brocken old record, but it really does sound as good as it looks.

Enjoy!

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #37 of 115
Quote:
Pairing the WA7 with my TH900s elicited a slightly different response, however, which I didn't seem to like as much as the HD800 pairing as it almost seemed like the 900s got a little dark when busy passages arose in some choice Michael Buble favorites. Not saying this is a bad pairing but of the two phones, I never heard the 800s sound better.

Let us know how the TH900's sound with the EH Gold pins
Also did you set the WA7 to low gain when using the TH900?

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #39 of 115
Quote:
Anyone know how the WA7 pairs with the Beyerdynamic T1?

I hope to find out soon!  But my WA7 is not supposed to ship until the end of March. 
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #42 of 115
@currawong,

you mentioned the aurorasound and vaunix usb bus power devices to isolate the WA7 from the noisy onboard usb power. What would be your opinion on the teradak linear PSU and the teralink USB isolator combo?

I noticed that both the aurorasound and the vaunix use switching power supplies as with the ifi iusb. Would they be in any way superior to the cheaper teralink/teradak combo other than providing more usb ports?

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #44 of 115
Quote:
Let us know how the TH900's sound with the EH Gold pins
Also did you set the WA7 to low gain when using the TH900?

Oh yes... gain set to low with th900s.
I realize it has not had enough burn in yet but again, these were just initial impressions.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #45 of 115
Awesome review Currawong, yours and Mr. Bigsby's make excellent companion reviews! Though I was probably sold on the WA7 the moment I first saw the screw-less case design.. Mine is arriving tomorrow, can't wait!

Question though: If I'm currently using the AudioQuest Dragonfly as my DAC w/my iMac as the source, am I better off to continue using the Dragonfly, or should I use the WA7's built-in DAC instead? Wondering how the two DACs compare...

Reason I ask is because I'm quite happy with my current RCA interconnects, and I'd rather not drop cash for a spiffy new USB cable, especially if there's not much sonic difference between the two DACs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back