A second hole in the tips?
Mar 5, 2011 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Artmon

100+ Head-Fier
[size=12pt]Dear Head-Fiers,[/size]
[size=12pt]A friend of mine needs a hearing aid. He got problems with it. The audiologist  first tried an Universal IEM, later on a Custom IEM. [size=12pt]In both cases he (the audiologist) drilled a second hole through the tip to avoid air pressure in the ear canal. [/size] I have never heard of a second hole in the tip of an IEM. Could somebody give me an explanation?[/size]
[size=12pt]With kind regards, Artmon [/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Anybody?

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 12
I am a little bit confused - your friend needed an hearing aid, but got an universal and custom IEM from an audiologist, which drilled hole on both of them?

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I am a little bit confused - your friend needed an hearing aid, but got an universal and custom IEM from an audiologist, which drilled hole on both of them?

[size=small]I was not accurate. He described the earmolds. First like a universal IEM, later like a custom. I was confused about the holes. My Shures and Westones don't have holes to avoid air pressure in the ear canal. [/size]

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 12
I noticed my newly acquired CK-10s have a small hole on the back of each housing, not the tips. I'm assuming the tiny holes are there just for that purpose, to relieve pressure build-up...

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
[size=small]I was not accurate. He described the earmolds. First like a universal IEM, later like a custom. I was confused about the holes. My Shures and Westones don't have holes to avoid air pressure in the ear canal. [/size]

Hole on the earmold to release air pressure sounds like a really bad idea as far as feedback is concerned (which is a big problem for hearing aid). Then again I am not too familiar with hearing aid so maybe your firend's hearing aid does work that way. However, hearing aid does not equal to IEM. There are custom IEM manufacturer who do include a vent on their IEM, but mainly on request by the client because they need to be aware of the surrounding. Some other, like Future Sonics, uses vent to control bass response. However, these vents are usually at the back of the IEM, not into the front.

Quote:
I noticed my newly acquired CK-10s have a small hole on the back of each housing, not the tips. I'm assuming the tiny holes are there just for that purpose, to relieve pressure build-up...

Most IEM require a seal environment (from nozzle to ear drum) to work their magic. Vents on the back doesn't really help on relieving the pressure since it is the front that get sealed, not the back. Back vents are usually more for sound tuning.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Dear Head-Fiers,[size=12pt][/size]
A friend of mine needs a hearing aid. He got problems with it. The audiologist  first tried an Universal IEM, later on a Custom IEM. In both cases he (the audiologist) drilled a second hole through the tip to avoid air pressure in the ear canal.  I have never heard of a second hole in the tip of an IEM. Could somebody give me an explanation?[size=12pt][/size]
With kind regards, Artmon [size=12pt][/size]

My remolded TF10s (Fisher Hearing, if it matters) have 2 holes in the tips. I believe that my TF10s originally had 2 holes in the tip, too.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for your comments. But I have a question. I use the Westone 4 (with the Shure olives) in bed. I fall asleep with classical music. I regularly fall asleep with the IEM's still in my ears. The next day I wake up with the earphones in my ears. Would this cause problems? 

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Hole on the earmold to release air pressure sounds like a really bad idea as far as feedback is concerned (which is a big problem for hearing aid). Then again I am not too familiar with hearing aid so maybe your firend's hearing aid does work that way. However, hearing aid does not equal to IEM. There are custom IEM manufacturer who do include a vent on their IEM, but mainly on request by the client because they need to be aware of the surrounding. Some other, like Future Sonics, uses vent to control bass response. However, these vents are usually at the back of the IEM, not into the front.

Most IEM require a seal environment (from nozzle to ear drum) to work their magic. Vents on the back doesn't really help on relieving the pressure since it is the front that get sealed, not the back. Back vents are usually more for sound tuning.

But how would the tiny vents on the CK10 affect sound tuning when they use sealed balanced armatures.

I can see vents tuning the sound on a dynamic but not on a sealed and self contained BA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back