A relatively affordable balanced headphone amp? The CEC HD53N
Mar 29, 2009 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

1031tensai

New Head-Fier
As an owner of the Sennheiser HD650s, I have always been on the lookout for relatively affordable (<$1000) balanced headphones amps.

CEC, a reputable Japanese audio brand, is going to be coming out with a new balanced headphone amp sometime this spring: the HD53N.

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/fujiya...b/8b3fc132.jpg
http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/fujiya...8/18b4a89e.jpg

Seems like this headphone amp will also be equipped with speaker terminals.

The base price is going to be 78,750yen (approx. US$800), but I've seen an online dealer that is planning to sell this amp at a pre-order price of 54,800yen (approx. US$550). Either way, I'd say those are pretty nice prices for a balanced amp.

Just wanted to throw this out to the head-fi community.
Does anyone else know more about this product?

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Lift the top off, we'll see
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 16
Hehe, I sure would love to, but my wallet is frowning...
tongue.gif

Besides, I first need to get a balanced DAC
frown.gif

I actually was looking at CEC's new DAC, the DA53N (which is the successor of the highly acclaimed DA53) when rolled upon this headphone amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1031tensai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The base price is going to be 78,750yen (approx. US$800), but I've seen an online dealer that is planning to sell this amp at a pre-order price of 54,800yen (approx. US$550). Either way, I'd say those are pretty nice prices for a balanced amp.

seems like a good price.

May 17, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 16
Hmm, the HD53N says "Made in China" on the back, ironically. Nothing wrong with that though.

The MBA1 they are asking serious money for at around $2000. I guess that mates well with the prices of headphones like the K701s, which are $880 here.

May 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 16
ah! CEC is not that known in the
US, but they're fairly big in Asia. I can say the brand is more "high-end" than Cambridge.

anyway, I had a listen to CEC's HD53R (CEC HD53R) and the sound is very nice indeed.

I wonder why CEC wouldn't include a single ended jack, like all other balanced heapdhone amp offering.

-edit-
I did a quick search and found a picture from Sasaki's blog:
fujiya_cec.jpg

May 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why CEC wouldn't include a single ended jack, like all other balanced heapdhone amp offering.

Translation by Google:

The Neutrik combo jacks accept both a plug on both a symmetrical tripolar XLR connectors. For the symmetrical (balanced) operation of the headphones you need both combi jacks, one for the left and one for the right stereo channel. By Jack is holding the left jack internally with a 120 ohm resistor (of course, one resistor per channel stereo) in, hence the name "Hi". The right jack allows the low output impedance, hence the name "Low". Internal security is a pure resistance of 10 ohms running (again, of course, one for each stereo channel), so that the extraction and insertion of the electrical plug is not closing the channel or channels and the mass comes.

May 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by draigh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Translation by Google:

The Neutrik combo jacks accept both a plug on both a symmetrical tripolar XLR connectors. For the symmetrical (balanced) operation of the headphones you need both combi jacks, one for the left and one for the right stereo channel. By Jack is holding the left jack internally with a 120 ohm resistor (of course, one resistor per channel stereo) in, hence the name "Hi". The right jack allows the low output impedance, hence the name "Low". Internal security is a pure resistance of 10 ohms running (again, of course, one for each stereo channel), so that the extraction and insertion of the electrical plug is not closing the channel or channels and the mass comes.

brilliant! I didn't see that it was a neutrix combo jack.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 16
Decided to resurrect this thread because, now that I have purchased a PS Audio Digital Link III with balanced outputs, getting a balanced headphone amp has actually become a possible upgrade for me in the (hopefully) near-future. I'm still very interested in this amp especially because it seems like it can be a great "balanced" solution for the entry-level, or simply for the budget-minded, along with Little Dot's MKVI+ and MKVII.

The next time I go back to Japan (hopefully during winter break), I will make sure I go to a audio shop with the CEC HD53N to take a good listen with balanced headphones. Maybe FUJIYA AVIC in Nakano Broadway or Dynamic Audio 5555 in Akihabara.

In the meanwhile, now that this amp is officially out, has anyone had a chance to listen to this lovely amp? Or better yet, has anyone bought one? So far, it's getting great reviews on Japanese sites.

Any additional input about this amp will be greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back