A Question about the Sennheiser HD600
Jan 30, 2010 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

deadpool86

Head-Fier
Can it be easily driven through a pc? I will be getting the 600s soon and wanted to know if a typical pc would drive them well. I don't even have a soundcard yet and would be plugging them directly into the tower. Shouldnt cause a problem, right?

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 81
lulz

the only thing you're gonna hear at 100% max volume is the sound of your computer's hard drive. If you're lucky, maybe you'll hear a few words coming out of the singers mouth. lmao.

srsly, get yourself a tube amp like the little Dot MKIII. Even a MK2 would be substantially enough. Make sure your source is semi- decent since garbage in = garbage out.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 81
HD600 directly from the soundcard headphone out (assuming that 'straight into the tower' is your intergrated soundcard on the motherboard) should be fine volumewise. Was no problem for me on my laptop (realtek intergrated) or Sony A818 DAP. Didnt have to go past 50% volume. Soundquality wise is another thing, altho even without a dedicated amp the HD600 is pretty good (better than the HD5x5's).

People exaggerate the needs to drive the 300 ohm HD600 to acceptable volume levels a lot it seems :\

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 81
Thats what I was thinking, how the hell can a higher output from a pc not drive them...that really scared me i was like wait a second...lol

The hd600 should work fine through a pc, and that okay with me until I can get a good amp. Right?

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I was thinking, how the hell can a higher output from a pc not drive them...that really scared me i was like wait a second...lol

The hd600 should work fine through a pc, and that okay with me until I can get a good amp. Right?

"driving" headphones is not about the volume output. you can get enough volume output from almost any computer or portable source,but quality of the sound is another issue. plug your HD600 to the computer until you decide that you want to take your listening experience to another level,and see what the HD600 really can do with a proper system.
the HD595 is way more effiecient than the HD600 and will be better for using directly from the computer.

Jan 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 81
I think ill have to go with the 595 then because its more easily driven and I dont seem to need a new cable for it. Ive been reading lots of reviews saying i really should invest in the 650 cable if i got the hd600. All that+an amp for the hd 600 is well over my budget :[

hd595 wins i suppose, I loved the 485, so im sure this will make me happy as well

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadpool86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think ill have to go with the 595 then because its more easily driven and I dont seem to need a new cable for it. Ive been reading lots of reviews saying i really should invest in the 650 cable if i got the hd600. All that+an amp for the hd 600 is well over my budget :[

hd595 wins i suppose, I loved the 485, so im sure this will make me happy as well

cables are the last thing you should upgrade IMO. the difference is very subtle from one to another and it is only beneficial if you have a top notch system. all the audiophiles you heard of upgrading their cables have good systems, and for the moment you don't. it will be a total waist of money.

the HD595 really great headphone for listening straight from a portable or a pc, and will be even better out of an amp.
the HD600 are obviously better but if you listen without a dedicated amp and without a better source than just your pc, the HD595 will definitely be better for you.
I didn't hear the HD600 but I have the HD650 and I am giving these recommendations based on the HD650 which is much like the HD600 in terms of powering them.
I had the HD595 in the past,they were my first full size headphone and gave me a great introduce into the hi-fi sound.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 81
I'm driving my HD650's through a x-fi xtrememusic atm (waiting for the release of the HDP) and it's perfectly enjoyable.

A friend at work brought in his HD600's and played it through a crappy onboard AC97 soundcard and we were both surprised how good it sounded.

I appreciate that an amp will obviously help but you can still enjoy them from lesser sources.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm driving my HD650's through a x-fi xtrememusic atm (waiting for the release of the HDP) and it's perfectly enjoyable.

A friend at work brought in his HD600's and played it through a crappy onboard AC97 soundcard and we were both surprised how good it sounded.

I appreciate that an amp will obviously help but you can still enjoy them from lesser sources.

did you hear it with a proper amplification before? remember...you can't know if you are missing something until you hear it for yourself.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 81
Just buy the 600's. If you buy the 595's you will wind up upgrading later.

My laptop drives the 600's just fine. When I switch to a NuForce uDAC I get moe bass, but the sound is acceptable right from my laptop (1 year old Gateway).

When funds permit you can pick up a uDAC for $100 and have a very nice setup for about $400 total.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 81
Really? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the uDac not amplify well (or in other words, works just as a Dac with a line out)?

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 81
I have heard the uDac has sufficient power to drive the HD600 according to HeadphoneAddict. Another option the OP can consider is a soundcard upgrade like the Auzentech Forte 7.1 which I find can sufficiently drive the HD600 as it has a more powerfull headphone amp than standard sound cards. I believe Asus also has a decent highend headphone centric soundcard as well.

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 81
You'll get to hear a lot of noise and hash off your PC if you plug the headphones into it. The HD-600 will especially pick that stuff up and drive you crazy.

Like a lot of people, I'm not crazy about the HD-595. If you've never heard better you'll probably love it, but once you hear something like a HD-600 it'll sound inadequate. You're better off with the HD-600, since that'll kill upgraditis for a long time. There are a few better, but they're a lot more expensive.

There's a lot to amplification - more than I'll get into here - but you need to deal with it to maximize performance. The least expensive way of doing it is to pick up an old receiver with a headphone jack. They're usually cheap at the local thrifft/junk store and you can find them all over Craigslist. You might want to check with friends and family to see if they have an old one they'll give you. Some receivers sound great with headphones and that will get you around the expense of a real amp.

Don't bother with the cables. I've owned a couple of aftermarket cables for the HD-600 and found zero difference between them and the stock cable. For years, there's been debate over cable belief. No one has ever proven anything with scientific test equipment or studies where people can't see which cable they're listening to. So either there's some miraculous branch of completely unknown physics, or some guy is selling you $15 of "magical" wire for $300. Which seems more likely to you?

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't bother with the cables. I've owned a couple of aftermarket cables for the HD-600 and found zero difference between them and the stock cable. For years, there's been debate over cable belief. No one has ever proven anything with scientific test equipment or studies where people can't see which cable they're listening to. So either there's some miraculous branch of completely unknown physics, or some guy is selling you $15 of "magical" wire for $300. Which seems more likely to you?

I basically agree, but I had clearly heard noise when I used HD600's stock cable. It's not the greatest. A little switch with HD650's stock cable and the noise was gone. I was left with the conclusion that it is not particularly well shielded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back