A quandary over DJ headphones
Dec 8, 2010 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thetwinmeister

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

As an audiophile and as a college student I've had quite the experience in mixing sound systems with dorm rooms. ...Even buying studio foam to fix room acoustics didn't drive me to replace my full range speakers with headphones. But meh, I'll admit that was mostly due to specialization. I'm still largely new to the headphone world, and now I'd like to enter. [/intro]

After volunteering to be the acting "sound engineer" (fancy term for I set up the system and run the board. Its small time and pays nothing but experience) for a small group, I quickly realized I needed better monitoring cans than what I was using. [/premise]

However, I'm not about to sink $100-$250 into something I can't effectively use for personal endeavors back at the dorm. And this is where the quandary presents itself: Do I buy audiophile headphones and use them as DJ cans, or do I buy DJ headphones and use them for "audiophile" purposes? [/quandary]

Among these questions lurk: Will the mixer board be enough to drive them, or will I need an amp in that application? Will I need an amp for back at the dorm, or will the Yamaha receiver I already have currently sitting ~15 inches away from my head right now be adequate? [/addendum]

I am in college, so I'd like to not buy an amp if I can get away with using my receiver. That being said, I'm willing to spend $100-$250 on a pair of headphones. My source is my computer and lossless FLAC files with an HT Omega sound card. (No built in amp) Edit: My other source is the mixer board itself with inputs usually from two singers, an acoustical guitar, piano, and cello. From my experience with cans, as vast as that is, I prefer Circumaural cans and have had good experience with Sennheiser. I'm leaning toward that brand, and I've had my eye on the HD280 PROs. [/conclusion]

I understand that a lot of recomendations come from personal prefrence, but I'd gladly welcome any advice in this matter. My thanks!

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm a little biased, since I got a pair of SRH750DJ's last weekend.  I love them.  They're in your price range, they're closed-back, which adds some isolation.  They can be driven even from an MP3 player.  They have swiveling cups so you can monitor with one ear easily.  If you read the impressions and reviews on this board, they get a pretty good reception.  The only complaints seem to be with the fit, which is a little tight, though that can be mitigated with some stretching.

Dec 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Shure stands out in my mind as being high-quality in general. Thanks Annirak, I'll take the SRH750DJ's into consideration. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I should have also said this to begin with, but has anyone owned a pair of the HD280 PROs? I haven't heard alot about them on these forums just from browsing around. Not really much from DJ headphones in general for that matter. Other than isolation, is there a significant difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back