a noob looking for a new headphones and needs help!
Jun 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Karido

New Head-Fier
First off, ever since I started researching and this forum has helped me in an imaginable ways! so for everyone here, Thank you so much.
so to start off with, the first headset I got was the A40s and my aim was gaming and music and that was it. But with time I wanted something with more bass and found the smaller version which is the A30s. They did have more bass, but it wasnt as comfortable.
So when I found out that I had the money and nothing to buy, I thought hey get a new headphone! I heard alot about people using the PC360 with the Astro mixamp pro so I thought that might be the great idea. the PC360s are $200 so its in my range of budget.
But after some more researching a found people here talking about the AD700 and how comfortable they are and how they sound wonderful for gaming but it lacked bass. Well as for bass it is actually better than the Astros A40 so it would be ok with me. And the price was very low that I loved it.
Then I said since its that low and I have the money, maybe theres something better? so another search was started and found the HD558. They look good and people say that it sounds good too. But the thing about the HD5xx series having that crack issue is making me stay away from it. I'm buying it off Amazon and it will be shipped to the middle east where I live. So for me to send it back it if it breaks down will be troublesome. So now I want to ask you guys, what do you think its best for me?

For me the headphones is a very big part of my life. As soon as I wake up I use them to listen to music and spend all day using them for skyping and gaming. So the headphones will be on my head the whole day. And I wear them everytime I drive to university. So comfortable is a big advantage for me even if the headphones lacked bass or something else (mind Im not an audiophile yet). I'll be using the Astro mixamp pro for gaming (Xbox360 FPS mostly) and for PC. And the kind of music that I listen to is dubstep (very bassy) but Im not a bass head. And about open or closed, Im good with sound leak because I live alone but my room's AC and PC fan are noisy! but if the volume will make those sounds disappear I'll be good with an opne one.
Further I'll be using the Zalman Zm-mic1 for chatting since everyone is saying they are the best. (If theres something better please tell me) and thats about it.
Again I can reach about $200 for the price and a little more would be no problem. Thanks.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 10
From what you wrote, it seems as if comfort and durability are at the top of your preferences in search of a headphone. I'm not sure about gaming, but you'd also like this headphone to do well with bass, and cost under $200.

I'd suggest looking in to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80.

They are extremely comfortable, closed-backed (it's not a great idea for your ears to crank up the volume to overpower noisy A/C and fans), their durability is top notch, they perform amazingly well with bass heavy tracks (yet, sound real good even with tracks with little bass), and are just under $200 (they can be found for around $180-$200). Also, the ear pads are made of velour, which I find less sweaty in a hot climate (like the middle east) compared to leather/pleather pads.

I will point out that the mids are a bit recessed on these (so their sound is not for everyone), but if you are not directly comparing them to other cans, you will likely get used to the sound. Also, the Pro-80 ohm version (as opposed to the Pro-250 ohm version) should be loud enough being played out of a PC or portable device (though it might not be the best idea using them while driving to university ?!). If they don't get loud enough out of your sources for your tastes, look into a portable amp like the Fiio e6, or Fiio e11.

If you are buying from Amazon US, it looks like only 3rd party sellers are offering this version. Check to make sure that you are purchasing from an authorized reseller, or at least from a reputable company.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
From what you wrote, it seems as if comfort and durability are at the top of your preferences in search of a headphone. I'm not sure about gaming, but you'd also like this headphone to do well with bass, and cost under $200.

I'd suggest looking in to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80.

They are extremely comfortable, closed-backed (it's not a great idea for your ears to crank up the volume to overpower noisy A/C and fans), their durability is top notch, they perform amazingly well with bass heavy tracks (yet, sound real good even with tracks with little bass), and are just under $200 (they can be found for around $180-$200). Also, the ear pads are made of velour, which I find less sweaty in a hot climate (like the middle east) compared to leather/pleather pads.

I will point out that the mids are a bit recessed on these (so their sound is not for everyone), but if you are not directly comparing them to other cans, you will likely get used to the sound. Also, the Pro-80 ohm version (as opposed to the Pro-250 ohm version) should be loud enough being played out of a PC or portable device (though it might not be the best idea using them while driving to university ?!). If they don't get loud enough out of your sources for your tastes, look into a portable amp like the Fiio e6, or Fiio e11.

If you are buying from Amazon US, it looks like only 3rd party sellers are offering this version. Check to make sure that you are purchasing from an authorized reseller, or at least from a reputable company.

Thanks alot mate!
Just went to a thread that has various headphones that were tried for gaming and found the one you mentioned. And man he said it was so good too!
And I really liked how you thought about the climate I never thought of that!
For the playing it of the PC part, I will hook it via the Mixamp. And I will probably use my old headset (A30s) for outside use. 
The portable amp is not that pricey so I guess I'll order it with the phones at the same time. But one question, I'll be hooking everything to the mixamp (Astro Mixamp pro), so can I also hook the amp to the mixamp and then hook the phones to the amp? 
And finally for the Amazon part, the sellers seem authorized enough :p
Again, Thank you so much!

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 10
You can list your country in your Community Profile
I believe the HD558s cracking issue is old news, like from a year ago.
If you can't easily ship headphones out for warranty, buy low priced headphones.
For $150 (US), you could order two headphones.
For $200 (US), you could get three headphones
Takstar HI2050 (semi-open) $65 & Takstar Pro80 (closed) $85, both for $150 shipped.

Jun 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
You can list your country in your Community Profile
I believe the HD558s cracking issue is old news, like from a year ago.
If you can't easily ship headphones out for warranty, buy low priced headphones.
For $150 (US), you could order two headphones.
For $200 (US), you could get three headphones
Takstar HI2050 (semi-open) $65 & Takstar Pro80 (closed) $85, both for $150 shipped.

I just joined in an hour ago so I kinda forgot about that :D.
HD558s seem good but those DT770 are just amazingly great from what I read and for my needs.
And about the low priced headphones, I dont want to have the shipping mess over a regular headphone. If I'm doing that, Im getting the best for me.
Thanks alot and I'll be checking out the ones you suggested.

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 10
After more reading I feel like the DT770 are my best choice. If anyone has a better idea please let me know!
Edit: found out the that mixamp and the amp can work together.

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 10
I have had my HD558s for 8 months now and I have not seen a single crack, so don`t let that scare you away from them. But the Dt770s are a very good choice too.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 10
Totally agreed here. They Beyers would be my first choice for sub 200 dollar headphones. they are comfortable, provide excellent sound quality, and as for build quality, pretty great for about 200 bucks. Go to Amazon, be sure you check out the Pro-80's and use your amp if you do end up buying these! They have adequate bass for listening to some occasional dubstep. Not overwhelming, but it is definitely there. But, that's just my opinion. Hope this helped.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Totally agreed here. They Beyers would be my first choice for sub 200 dollar headphones. they are comfortable, provide excellent sound quality, and as for build quality, pretty great for about 200 bucks. Go to Amazon, be sure you check out the Pro-80's and use your amp if you do end up buying these! They have adequate bass for listening to some occasional dubstep. Not overwhelming, but it is definitely there. But, that's just my opinion. Hope this helped.

Thank you so much!
I'm getting these as soon as possible (waiting for more money lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back