A nice, "cheap" portable amp
Jun 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dagothur

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm getting my first real audio setup.  It's going to be Zune 80gB-ATH-m50-X.
I place an X there because I'm looking to get a portable amp, but I need suggestions from some Head-fi'ers.  I'm not willing to pay for a $200 portable amp (even though I want an HE12 Arrow so desperately bad), but I could probably max it at around $100.  What do you folks think I should get for a portable amp?  So far, I'm thinking of getting either a FiiO E5 or a $40 C-Moy to pair with my M50s. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 16
Why don't you use the gear and then after a couple of weeks decide if you still want or need the amp? If you decide to buy one I would suggest an used unit to reduce the cost. I am partial to the smallish iBasso T3 or the Electric Avenue PA2V2 at $110 and $65 respectively. Good luck.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 16
I concur with Miguel and can recommend the PA2V2, it is my start into portables and I am very pleased with it. Will be getting a ttvj millet hybrid soon though as I am a fan of tubes!

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 16
I second Trysaeder. Spend more money on your headphones/IEMs first and then add things like amps, cables, etc. afterwards.

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 16
ATH M50s do sound quite better amped though. IMHO, its better to enjoy your headphones at their max potential before upgrading. But, keep in mind I'm in the same position you are. I have an E5, but to my ears it mostly makes things louder, with a litte bit of improevment in sound quality. I use them with my M50s and MTP Copper. I've tried some good amps, and they make a difference (especially turning up the bass and listening to dubstep on the M50s. Your head explodes with controlled, tight bass). I'm probably getting an E7 this week, I don't see a better value for the price at the moment. I'd like to get the Arrowhead too, but I'll wait a little longer until I dish out that kind of money for an amp. If your looking for a cMoy, I can't tell you from personal experience but according to my research the one from JDS Labs is supposed to be one of the best.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 16
The ibasso t3 with my 5th gen ipod and mtpcs took away a tiny bit of bass and treble energy and gave back smoothness, richness and soundstage.

Not sure if I'm entirely happy with the trade-off for the price, but I'll probably get used to it and appreciate it.

Although, if it means that I lower the volume (better quality at low volumes), then my hearing is worth the price, of course.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Meh, a Cmoy is what, $40? It's not like spending another $40 more on a portable hp will completely demolish the M50...

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 16
just go with a fiio amp, they are quite loved aroud here

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 16
Fiio E5 is a total joke.
You get what you pay for.  For $15-20 its not a rip off, but thats all its worth. 
The Zune alone will sound better.  Better phones that are easy to drive would be a better place to put the money designated for an amp. Take the money you want to spend for the M50 and add it to the amp money and just get better portable phones.
If you still want an amp, heres a few cheap decent amps below.  I happen to have fun collecting them, but some phones sound just as good without them honestly. I just like toys.

Get an M^3     http://www.amb.org/audio/mmm/

Or maybe a Practical Devices  http://www.practicaldevices.com

Garys pa2v2         http://www.electric-avenues.com/

Check the used forum for deals under $100 or so.

The Zune is a nice sounding player, and youd be doing it a disservice using a lousy Fiio E5 with it.   The E5 would be good for some kid to use on his GPX, Westinghouse, Craig, or some other drugstore-purchased player. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 16
I only have a FiiO E3, and a PA2V2, so I don't have a lot to compare with. But I can say for $60, the PA2V2 is a good amp. I love mine. On the go, I just use my Clip+ and whatever IEM's I'm in the mood for that day. At home, I use the amp always.

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 16
Headroom Total Airhead $99

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 16
So what I'm getting here is to either buy the FiiO E7, P2V2, or Headroom Airhead.
I don't want to get anything more expensive than the M50s because I'm paying for them myself, and as far as I can tell they're exactly what I want right now.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 16
Get the Fanmusic MK2 on ebay. It costs about $90 and sounds comparable with the Arrow HE in my opinion. Just don't use it while charging (as the battery auto cut-off won't work while using) and you will be a happy man with the M50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back