A new music player after a J3
Apr 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:
SQ is comparable to the J3 ?!

I thought the J3 was better in SQ... Or in every case, this is what I read on the internet. I'm a bit surprised.

But I think I'm going to take it, it's not really expensive compared to other players.

There you go. You can't read sound you have to hear it.
wink_face.gif

I agree with an good portable amp, rockboxed classic 7G and a pair of good phones you probably have everything you need for portable music. The battery for the classic does not last as long as the J3's, but it's still decent for daily use. The classic's UI is unbeatable combined with the rockbox, not mentioning the 160GB's. Personally I never liked the J3 sounding when I owned it for a few months.

iPod 5g/5.5g are excellent alternatives to the classic if you like the wolfson dac. Also the 5g/5.5g can be modded in many ways for sound quality, improvement in battery and SSD's.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

There you go. You can't read sound you have to hear it.
wink_face.gif

I agree with an good portable amp, rockboxed classic 7G and a pair of good phones you probably have everything you need for portable music. The battery for the classic does not last as long as the J3's, but it's still decent for daily use. The classic's UI is unbeatable combined with the rockbox, not mentioning the 160GB's. Personally I never liked the J3 sounding when I owned it for a few months.

iPod 5g/5.5g are excellent alternatives to the classic if you like the wolfson dac. Also the 5g/5.5g can be modded in many ways for sound quality, improvement in battery and SSD's.

modded ipod 5g/imod is so expensive, may as well do what i did then, just get the ibasso dx100 in that case. i dont think the ipod classic 7g sounds bad when i had it honestly and i used to pair it up with a fiio e17. the UI is probably the best since its apple and the 160gb is really nice for storing lossless music. no experience with the j3 though. and about the LOD, i had a fiio L9 cable, works fine for me because its short and pretty sturdy. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:
Yeah, that would be a problem...easiest solution probably being either an impedance adapter or an LOD and a headphone amp-FiiO E11 is 1 ohm I believe.

Why would it be a problem, exactly ? What would be the drawbacks ?

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:
Why would it be a problem, exactly ? What would be the drawbacks ?

Yeah, I've never actually tried breaking the rule to see what would happen. I'll try some low impedance IEMs with a Classic sometime tonight and report back. I've just heard it sounds bad if you break the 8:1 rule.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 35
Sorry I coulden't get on last night, was having computer issues. Didn't sound to bad, actually. Not as good as my other rigs, but about equal to straight out of my Clip+. This is with my 32 ohm TripleFi 10s and my 18 ohm Klipsch S4s. Recommendation under 8:1 rule would be at least 40 ohms with a Classic.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #23 of 35
Ok, thanks :)

So, in fact, if you hadn't known about the output impedance of the earphones you've just tried and if you hadn't known about the 8:1 rule, you would never have pointed out that there was any problem ?

So, with the Classic, would it be a problem to use my XBA-4 ?

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:
The Fiio X3 is pretty ugly, it's my own opinion, and I don't want to have a music player which looks like an old device from de 70s ^^

You must be pretty young, huh? The FiiO X3 looks a bit like the Toshiba Gigabeat, which was released in late 2004. So I would say that the X3 looks like something from 9-10 years ago rather than something from 35-40 years ago...
Personally, I LOVE the design of the old HDD player so I'm definitely interested in the X3. 

My suggestion: buy a cheap Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Clip Zip and get another 64GB MicroSD card. Then you can divide your music library between the two players. I've done that on my 10+ DAP collection and it works great.

Now for some retro MP3 player spam:

Toshiba Gigabeat F-series:

Kenwood HD20GA7:

Cowon X5:

iRiver H120:

Sony HD5

The biggest classic of them all, Rio Karma:

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

You must be pretty young, huh? The FiiO X3 looks a bit like the Toshiba Gigabeat, which was released in late 2004. So I would say that the X3 looks like something from 9-10 years ago rather than something from 35-40 years ago...
Personally, I LOVE the design of the old HDD player so I'm definitely interested in the X3. 

My suggestion: buy a cheap Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Clip Zip and get another 64GB MicroSD card. Then you can divide your music library between the two players. I've done that on my 10+ DAP collection and it works great.

Kenwood HD20GA7:

Cowon X5:

iRiver H120:

Sony HD5

loving the toshiba look and the glowing blue on the kenwood

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Kenwood HD20GA7:

Cowon X5:

iRiver H120:

Sony HD5

Yes, I'm 19. So I don't really like the old designs

I've ordered the iPod classic, it is not expensive at all (220 euros), so I think it is the best quality/price music player (sorry I'm french, so I don't know how to say "le meilleur rapport qualité/prix ^^)

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #27 of 35
I've just realized that I ordered the iPod classic 6th generation, and I believe there's a newest version, the 7th generation...

Is there any difference between the two ?

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:
I've just realized that I ordered the iPod classic 6th generation, and I believe there's a newest version, the 7th generation...

Is there any difference between the two ?

how much memory does yours have? and 7th gen is kinda unofficial name. you should get the one thats apple is currently selling which is 160gb. apple released a 160gb classic and then a 120 gb and then back to the 160gb. the new and old 160gb do have some differences, i recall from reading about them. the one i had is the one apple is currently selling

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #29 of 35
Mine has 160go.

I bought it on amazon.co.uk

I hope it is the latest model apple is currently selling...

How could I be sure that this is the latest version ? (i will receive it sunday or monday, is there something that I could check when I receive it ?)

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:
Mine has 160go.

I bought it on amazon.co.uk

I hope it is the latest model apple is currently selling...

How could I be sure that this is the latest version ? (i will receive it sunday or monday, is there something that I could check when I receive it ?)

look it up here on head-fi, i remember they have a thread for it. i think the difference was like one has a double faceplate and the other one has a single one or something like that, i forgot but i do remember there are differences between the old and new 160gb classic. some people claim the latest one to sound the best, if i remember correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back