A new DA7.2x ?
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #346 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by PUGSTUB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I am a little late to the party but I just bought a Citypulse from Pojen. Can anyone tell me if the Sennheiser HD650's sound good from the headphone output or do lower impedance cans sound better? Also, do you like upsampling or not? Thanks.

HD650 is ok from head out, but it REALLY get's better with dedicated amp (like Heed CanAmp for example)
Upsampling ... some tracks a better so, other so, most of them u dont see difference. udial.wav showed me some artifacts on upsampling, and I havent used it much since then.

--G

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #347 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD650 is ok from head out, but it REALLY get's better with dedicated amp (like Heed CanAmp for example)
Upsampling ... some tracks a better so, other so, most of them u dont see difference. udial.wav showed me some artifacts on upsampling, and I havent used it much since then.

--G

Nice to hear fomr you GASTAN!

Back to the topic... from my experience, FX 2 has great impact on the sound. While FX 2 make everything smoother, I prefer the icey sound with FX 2. (I believed that everyone tried udial knows 7.2x really does upsampling.) I think it an important feature, since it helps me to chose which approach I want to upgrade my DAC.

In case you like Japanese pop, I found this CD sounds beautiful with 7.2x. First song composed of heavy electronic mix, which requires high resolution. 7.2x handel it very nicely and provide decend bass at the bottom. I strongly recommend this CD as demo disk for 7.2x. <- there must be whole collection to show 7.2x, but I found this CD really tells apart from my PC build-in headphone amp and 7.2x.

=== side story ===

I was at Apple store the other day, and have a chance to listen to 650. The sound stage is amazing compare to my 404. (they connect it directly to video iPod)

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #348 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by pojen_h@hotmail. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear fomr you GASTAN!

Back to the topic... from my experience, FX 2 has great impact on the sound. While FX 2 make everything smoother, I prefer the icey sound with FX 2. (I believed that everyone tried udial knows 7.2x really does upsampling.) I think it an important feature, since it helps me to chose which approach I want to upgrade my DAC.

In case you like Japanese pop, I found this CD sounds beautiful with 7.2x. First song composed of heavy electronic mix, which requires high resolution. 7.2x handel it very nicely and provide decend bass at the bottom. I strongly recommend this CD as demo disk for 7.2x. <- there must be whole collection to show 7.2x, but I found this CD really tells apart from my PC build-in headphone amp and 7.2x.

=== side story ===

I was at Apple store the other day, and have a chance to listen to 650. The sound stage is amazing compare to my 404. (they connect it directly to video iPod)

I clicked on the link and it doesn't show any CD. You mind telling me the tittle? I have a 7.2x as well and would really like to try on it. If you listen to classical or instrumental music, try any album from Chesky recordings. They are wonderful.

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #349 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_0220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clicked on the link and it doesn't show any CD. You mind telling me the tittle? I have a 7.2x as well and would really like to try on it. If you listen to classical or instrumental music, try any album from Chesky recordings. They are wonderful.

Here you go:

Link:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/o/ASIN/B000F...206586-4487517

Title: ????????? <- why it doesn't recogonize Japanese? You can try Higurasi.
Cover Art:
5a7d39be3ad19496784b1482f22b6fab-.jpg

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #350 of 412
I´ve read alot on this forum before i bought my modded citypulse, first impression was horrible sounding dac!!!!!But i was prepared
smily_headphones1.gif

after 400 hours:
In my system the biggest different between them is that the citypulse is abit bright and harsh at the top but it´s get better with the fsx2 funktion, but some loss of detail and definiton.
It more detail than benchmark. Is there anyway to make the citypulse more smooth at the top?

im thinking of selling the citypulse.
have seen this dac from altmann the attraction seams good
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/attraction.htm

transport denon 2930
receiver thule audio av 120
speakers audiophysic spark

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #351 of 412
Someone elses 7.2x post reminded me about this thread.

I should report back that the replacement of the two caps in the output stage was a great success. I have to warn anyone wanting to do this mod, that the two non-polar caps I used took 700 hours plus to break in. I thought it very strange that it kept changing for so long. However Ive since learned that Blackgate non-polars are known to take a ridiculous amount of time to burn in (up to 1000 hours).

The overall tone of the dac is now quite even. It now has good detail and is no longer edgy as it was in the start, and pre-mods. I only got the DAC as a stopgap while I auditioned CDPs. I still have the DAC and have a new appreciation for the modded 7.2x

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #353 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by lesserpanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please remind everybody which 2 caps you exactly replaced?

Wonder if Eddie would perform such a mod?

1 page back.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #354 of 412
I must say that i really don´t understand the replacement of the two caps
smily_headphones1.gif

How it can be done? i cant do it myself, is this the only way to get the citypulse smoother? im thinking hard to sell the citypulse becuse it´s a bit edgy, but is not it expens of the detail when changing the caps?

Can someone recomend other upgrade to do with the dac. or is it as good as it gets?

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #355 of 412
Has anyone seen the new City pulse E2.03e? Wu answered my e-mail this morning with the following. Can someone with the expertise look at the pictures and see what has been changed?

Hi!
There is anew model of DAC from City pulse E2.03e .
It has same design as D-7.2x but add up USB input.
I will list on my Website today.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...u/IMG_0276.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...u/IMG_0278.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...u/IMG_0274.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...u/IMG_0273.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...u/IMG_0272.jpg
D-7.2x cost $313 USD
E2.03e $434 USD

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #357 of 412
It looks like they added the USB input but removed the XLR outputs. They also have a few more buttons on the front. I can't make out what they are for. Different volume knob and power switch.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #358 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by meshuggener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say that i really don´t understand the replacement of the two caps
smily_headphones1.gif

How it can be done? i cant do it myself, is this the only way to get the citypulse smoother? im thinking hard to sell the citypulse becuse it´s a bit edgy, but is not it expens of the detail when changing the caps?

Can someone recomend other upgrade to do with the dac. or is it as good as it gets?

If the thought of replacing the caps scares you then you shouldnt go there unless someone can do it for you. The suggested caps dont sacrifice detail at all, just finer and more rounded detail. I found this DAC is extremely sensitive to vibration and powercords and much can be done here which has direct audible improvement, without opening the case. See my previous posts on power cord recommendations, and try some different coax cables for surprising effects.

FYI the best things to smooth the 7.2x out were in order of improvement: Cap replacement in output stage, VHAudio Flavor 1 power cord (DIY), replace RCA digital with BNC connectors, clock chip upgrade dampened with huge dollop of blu-tac on and around clock chip and secured to pcb, digital coax interconnect, herbies baby booties feet, replaced RCA analog outs with gold plated copper RCAs, copper interconnects.

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #359 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only replaced the 2 (total) caps in the output stage with N series Blackgates 100uf 50V. I dont think these will be as optimal as 25V parts, but they are still a step up.

100uF ??!! That's a huge value. These can't be output coupling caps. What function do these caps serve?

The usual "output coupling caps" usually range anywhere from 0.1uF to 5 uF range usually.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #360 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100uF ??!! That's a huge value. These can't be output coupling caps. What function do these caps serve?

The usual "output coupling caps" usually range anywhere from 0.1uF to 5 uF range usually.

Heh, I dont exactly know what purpose they serve, dont think they are coupling, but these are the ones that Eddie and his modding cronies indicated they had the most success with. Definitely made the DAC more refined, just had a ridiculous burn-in time. (The stock caps were 100uf also)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back