A new DA7.2x ?
Dec 17, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #331 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryBr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HM,
Do you know what these caps are doing? Are they power supply caps for the output stage or are they DC blocking caps?
Thanks,
---Gary

I dont know. I just went off guidance from Eddie as to what others had modded that gave sonic benefit. The two suggested groups where the 6 large caps in the power supply, or the 2 caps in the output stage. I went with the easier option, and the two in the output stage had an immediate effect on the sound.

Dec 18, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #332 of 412
Ya know, it is all sounding so good now, even the bass really, that I might just add a silver interconect in downstream to compensate for the slight warmth. Maybe thats all it needs now.

BTW I tried swapping out the shielded power cable and Auricap tweaked power board its on, and is was immediately worse. So either the DAC is sensitive to RFI or is generating it itself which interferes with other equipment (transport/ preamp).

Dec 21, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #333 of 412
Hi there,

I just ordered mine from eddie, was wondering about the quality of the cables that come standard with the DAC. I know the Coax and Toslink won't be any good....but how is the main cable? Should i get a good filtered one?

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #335 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by lesserpanda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HumanMedia,

do you mind sharing what power supply caps and the caps in the output were replaced with?

I only replaced the 2 (total) caps in the output stage with N series Blackgates 100uf 50V. I dont think these will be as optimal as 25V parts, but they are still a step up.

They are so large that to fit them without sitting next to the transformer, I secured them on top of the red boxes and had to add hook-up wire extensions to the legs and added teflon tubing over the entire extension/legs.

Be prepared for a long burn in.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #336 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by ack_0220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

I just ordered mine from eddie, was wondering about the quality of the cables that come standard with the DAC. I know the Coax and Toslink won't be any good....but how is the main cable? Should i get a good filtered one?

Yeah the cables are all cr@p. Go for shielded, and RF isolated power cables.

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #337 of 412
Hi there,

mine just arrived today. I think Eddie has put in the TCXO for me and i wanted to take out the casing and see. But i can't seem to work out which screw to unscrew and open it. There are some big screw and some hex nut underneath the DAC, should i take those out as well? Any ideas on how to take out the screws?

I can't use the DAC yet cause i am still waiting for my cables to connect to my amp. However i turn on the power and everything seems to be fine. But i heard a sound like something is lose inside the DAC when i move it around, it is a small spring like sound. Is it normal?

Dec 28, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #338 of 412
Quote:

Hi there,

mine just arrived today. I think Eddie has put in the TCXO for me and i wanted to take out the casing and see. But i can't seem to work out which screw to unscrew and open it. There are some big screw and some hex nut underneath the DAC, should i take those out as well? Any ideas on how to take out the screws?

I can't use the DAC yet cause i am still waiting for my cables to connect to my amp. However i turn on the power and everything seems to be fine. But i heard a sound like something is lose inside the DAC when i move it around, it is a small spring like sound. Is it normal?

This is just a guess but I had the same noise in my Zhaolu , check the fuse tray it may be a spare fuse your hearing moving around. Drove me nuts for awhile I thought a somthing was lose inside the dac.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #339 of 412
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is just a guess but I had the same noise in my Zhaolu , check the fuse tray it may be a spare fuse your hearing moving around. Drove me nuts for awhile I thought a somthing was lose inside the dac.

You are damn right, i took out the casing, and it was the fuse cover that is making the noise.

Thanks.

Jan 2, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #340 of 412
ygpm

Quote:

Originally Posted by auditude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
power cords to try out on the citypulse. I've got a Signal Cables pc and the tried and true volex in 2m length.

I'm really excited about the dac. I'm also thinking about picking up a sonic frontiers sfd 1 MKII and a pac valves modded diyeden gm from a local for
sh!ts and giggles.

The SF is a bit more of an investment financially but I can gain a whole lot of knowledge from these 3 dacs.

Thanks again for your help folks. One more DAC to throw into the mix, the MF x-can v3...is the citypulse still the giant killer in this picture?

TIA

Jan 5, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #341 of 412
Quote:

You are damn right, i took out the casing, and it was the fuse cover that is making the noise.

Thanks.

Cool , glad to help , I had my DAC stripped down to the case before I found it... Had taken out the main board , the amp and the power supply. It still rattles !!! then checked the fuse. Duh.... I really did not want a loose metal part shorting something since I was doing mods at the same time.

Jan 17, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #342 of 412
Hi!

Great info here!
A question:
What do you think, would Squeezebox (playing flac-files) + d7.2x outperform my current Arcam FMJ CD33 soundwise? I have a solid-state amp (Arcam a32) and I would not use this DAC for headphone-listening. Speakers only.

Price for the SB+DAC is much less than the Arcam...

Any thoughts!?
confused.gif

Best regards
Fkuti

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #343 of 412
I have sb3 + da7.2x (TXCO modded) as my source for speakers.

I happened to have a chance to compare this setup with transporter's analogue output only.

I have been playing the same flac files on both player simultaneouly and switch input between the two.

All I can say is that I can hear absolutely no difference between the two. I cannot really tell which is which on classical music (symphonies, opera or chamber music)

However, I notice the transporter sounds softer and lighter in bass relative to the sb3+da7.2x setup.

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #344 of 412
Tried putting a ferrite coil on the AC before it goes into the transformer. Seemed to clean it up a bit but dramatically flattened the sound. Much better without it (and ideal with a simple shielded power cord with capacitors between hot and neutral)

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #345 of 412
Looks like I am a little late to the party but I just bought a Citypulse from Pojen. Can anyone tell me if the Sennheiser HD650's sound good from the headphone output or do lower impedance cans sound better? Also, do you like upsampling or not? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back