A message for the newbies
Oct 20, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 40
Best opening to a thread evar. There should be some kind of award for this. He speaketh the truth.

For newbies, hey you can stop whenever you like, just don't expect miracles if you're driving a $300+ headphone from an integrated soundcard and it sounds like crap. You can post "This sounds like crap!" and "I'm not buying an amp, or a better "source" (whatever that is)! Make this sound better!! You all suxors!!" all day long, but it won't change anything.

I'd also like to add, use the search button, it's really that easy!
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 40
I think one of the factors that newbs have hard time with search funcion on this forum is that you have to be pretty damn careful with the word choices when you put in the query...

For instance, say you wanna do a search about Senn HD600.

Do you have to type in HD600? HD 600? HD-600? They each will probably give you different results....I think..

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
I think one of the factors that newbs have hard time with search funcion on this forum is that you have to be pretty damn careful with the word choices when you put in the query...

For instance, say you wanna do a search about Senn HD600.

Do you have to type in HD600? HD 600? HD-600? They each will probably give you different results....I think..

Simply put you have to enter and search them a few times and then bookmark them. Then spend some time looking through all of them
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 40
I don't mind the newbie posts. For one, we were all there once. But more importantly, getting a personal and friendly response from someone is what pulls people in and makes it feel safe to ask more, post more and become an experienced member. I think it is a small price for expanding the community.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
The second option is to let it become a bit of a hobby.

That's what I did.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 40
It's also important to take the advice of members relative to what gear they own/what their main rig is/what their preferred sound is. Also be aware that there are certain people on these boards that can easily be dubbed fan boys of certain headphones. Watch out
lambda.gif

Also check out headphonereviews.org. It's a shame this website didn't really take off as much as it should of
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #22 of 40
This thread is a very good idea.

Of course, there will be people who have a clear thoughts about their tastes, others won't. People that have a expensive/good system/speakers but they want to try cans sound, peolple that haven't notice this site but they had fine cans in the past (ahem
rolleyes.gif
), etc.

Not all newbies will be young people with small rooms that need a 100$/€ cans for their PC/iTunes/iPod/MP3s.

And, IMHO, all of us have the rights to begin a thread and post our desires and needs.

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #23 of 40
it seems to me that, in the US, headfi is about buying everything and selling it shortly later. There must be so much kit going round and round.
I see it as people trying to listen to everything, constantly moving on. A bit like a library of cans.

Of course, this generates a valuable reference of information for the sad UK person like me who will never hear most of it.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
It's also important to take the advice of members relative to what gear they own/what their main rig is/what their preferred sound is. Also be aware that there are certain people on these boards that can easily be dubbed fan boys of certain headphones. Watch out
lambda.gif

Also check out headphonereviews.org. It's a shame this website didn't really take off as much as it should of
frown.gif

YES! I cringe every time I see a guy asking for advice for cans so he can listen to his electronica/hip-hop/pop whatever and in come the classical music guys giving advice on how bass shouldn't be too strong and blah blah blah.

Next thing you know you've got a guy listening to techno on K501s.
plainface.gif
(exageration.. i know
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAP7
it seems to me that, in the US, headfi is about buying everything and selling it shortly later. There must be so much kit going round and round.
I see it as people trying to listen to everything, constantly moving on. A bit like a library of cans.

Of course, this generates a valuable reference of information for the sad UK person like me who will never hear most of it.

ha ha, I agree with you on on all of that!
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Welcome to Head-fi. I won't say the second part; you'll hear it soon enough.

Well I'm a newbie. What's the second part?
biggrin.gif
Something to do with my wallwart, was it?
Quote:

But wait, stop-- we already know what you're going to say. You want just one headphone: a jack-of-all-trades, with great bass response (though not too much) and a really open sound; you want it to be comfortable, ideally circumaural, but still portable and under no circumstances do you want to have to buy an amp. Isolation would be nice. And of course, it has to be under 50/100/200 bucks.
best, FV

Wow man! It's like... like You read my mind. Dewd! No, seriously this is a good thread and already many good points have been made e.g the one from Uncle Erik.

Although I'm a newbie, I have one advice to give. Find yourselves a girlfriend/boyfriend who also has some hobby not so easily justified by reason. This will make life much easier when you don't have go through pointless discussions revolving around the question 'why do you have to own so many headphones/amps?'.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lime Cat
Although I'm a newbie, I have one advice to give. Find yourselves a girlfriend/boyfriend who also has some hobby not so easily justified by reason. This will make life much easier when you don't have go through pointless discussions revolving around the question 'why do you have to own so many headphones/amps?'.

Very true. Luckily I've got that...although I do get the "How many ears do you have, to need so many headphones?" question every now and then. My response is to ask why the need for more than one pocketpc.

Of course, his hobby earns money. My bad.
eek.gif

I'd aslo agree with azure about bias. We all have preferences. Look at the profiles or signatures, maybe few more posts of the member giving you advice. If you hear the world the same way, or think you might, then cool. If not, wait for more opinions.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #29 of 40
The one downside to searching, is.....

Thread crapping, and endless posting making threads huge (like me, now).

You can search for "x" but finding it in all the codswallop, chunter, and rhubarb, isn't easy.

It IS easy to ask, and you always get an answer with a link, or the info you want.

I NEVER pick on folks asking questions... as long as they are not "I have tried searching google, but" when they quite obviously haven't!!

there!

Oct 20, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong

Of course, his hobby earns money. My bad.
eek.gif

But then it's not a hobby. Hobby is all about spending money, right?

Biases and prefenses are a good thing to keep in mind, both when readin and submitting posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back