A little about the Shozy Alien
Mar 22, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #3,061 of 3,124

I also have some very sensitive CIEMs and I don't know how is its hiss paired with the Alien Gold compared to what you describe (I don't use FM radio
biggrin.gif
), but I can still hear it whilst it is bearable and constant.

And I love my CIEMs
biggrin.gif

well the hiss on the new Alien+ is much lower

00a123cc3b0f2ad994fc6720ff9a326a0cddc5af7c039d4e78623eb4b8d2aa4b.jpg

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #3,062 of 3,124
I'm not clear on whether the Alien Gold plays FLAC 24/96 files. Can someone provide the current file support for this very interesting DAP?

Thank you.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #3,067 of 3,124
Oh man, we need more impressions on this thing. Come on people go for it!

see who's gonna jump in for a machine built purely for sound replay.

BAD UI BAD BATTERY TIME NO BLUETOOTH NO DSD NO EVERYTHING 
redface.gif

sorry i sounds like a troll

in fact we believe iems that are designed to be professional/ driven by higher power deserves better.
low impedance match with relatively lower power outputs are good, but there are so many cases that requires higher power to make iems shine especially when dynamic drivers are involved, not to mention higher voltage (when done right) will give the chips better performance

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #3,068 of 3,124
see who's gonna jump in for a machine built purely for sound replay.

BAD UI BAD BATTERY TIME NO BLUETOOTH NO DSD NO EVERYTHING :xf_eek:

sorry i sounds like a troll

in fact we believe iems that are designed to be professional/ driven by higher power deserves better.
low impedance match with relatively lower power outputs are good, but there are so many cases that requires higher power to make iems shine especially when dynamic drivers are involved, not to mention higher voltage (when done right) will give the chips better performance
That makes sense. The worst is when iems pick up on hiss and background noise yet aren't exactly custom level when it comes to drivability.. *cough* CK10

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #3,071 of 3,124
  I'm not clear on whether the Alien Gold plays FLAC 24/96 files. Can someone provide the current file support for this very interesting DAP?

Thank you.

Alien Gold does not play 24/96.  Only 44.1 KHz files, either WAVE or FLAC-without-metadata.  I am not sure it plays 24 bits.  I've only tried with 16 bits.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #3,073 of 3,124

Alien Gold does not play 24/96.  Only 44.1 KHz files, either WAVE or FLAC-without-metadata.  I am not sure it plays 24 bits.  I've only tried with 16 bits.

I have some 24 bit 44.1 kHz, no problems.

OK, thanks for the feedback. There's some conflicting info on the web about this. Although I like the simple aesthetic of the Alien, perhaps the Shanling M1 is the way to go for an inexpensive DAP.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,074 of 3,124
OK, thanks for the feedback. There's some conflicting info on the web about this. Although I like the simple aesthetic of the Alien, perhaps the Shanling M1 is the way to go for an inexpensive DAP.
Shanling products are pretty nice, I've heard the M2 and M5 with no complaints. The Alien is just better when it comes to sound quality, although some may argue in the case of the M5. Seriously though, the Alien lacks everything a good all around DAP should have. What it does have is a sound that captivates, emotifies(is this a word?), and rectifies. Captivate referring to the soundstage/separation/forwardness, emotion referring to the musical textures, and rectify meaning the injection of dynamism into each IEM it feeds. It is a true audiophiles DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back