A little about the Shozy Alien
Mar 17, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,371 of 3,124
Hey guys, I am finally finishing initial RMAA, volume, and hiss testing now between the two models. The final one (hiss) is by ear. I no longer have an oscillator to compare with, so take it with a grain of salt. Will post back when I have finished.

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,373 of 3,124
Thanks shigzeo for the well informed read! Especially for the recommended volume setting when amping. 13 steps down from max volume? How many steps up from default is that?

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #2,374 of 3,124
Thanks shigzeo for the well informed read! Especially for the recommended volume setting when amping. 13 steps down from max volume? How many steps up from default is that?

You are the second person to ask me that. I have no idea. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,376 of 3,124
Thanks to @Decommo I have a gold Alien and a black Alien side by side and can confirm that there is a noticeable sound quality improvement between the two.

Using the Noble K10s (sensitive, but not particularly bright-sounding) there is a slight but noticeable hiss on power-up and throughout the music. It's not enough to detract from the enjoyment, but it's there. The sound has that slightly soft, analog and organic feel that makes the original Alien so enjoyable, but it's also slightly lo-fi and lacks the absolute clarity of some higher-end players.

Changing to the new, gold Alien, the hiss is so similar as to be indistinguishable. There's a chance it's slightly reduced, but it's not by much and it's still slightly present. Just like the black Alien, the hiss is subtle enough that it is irrelevant once the music starts, but you might hear it between tracks. In terms of sound quality, the new Alien has a degree of refinement and separation in the sound that's a noticeable improvement. It all sounds cleaner and more defined, but it hasn't lost the brilliant organic sound of the original Alien - just improved on it. The sound is also more authoritative now with better bass presence, but still plenty of control. In short, the sound is fantastic! It's still got that slightly analog / lo-fi sound that the Aliens are known for, but with just the right amount of polish and refinement. It reminds me now of a slightly more analog / smoother sounding Cozoy Aegis. I think the Aegis sounds slightly better still, but the Alien is really close and may share some DNA with the Aegis.

Sadly, there are still some nasty sounds in between tracks - not sure why. I used redbook WAV files for the tests.

Ergonomically the controls are also a little more tactile now with shorter travel and nice clean feedback when the switch is pressed.

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #2,377 of 3,124

I realised I didn't answer your question: I go to the top (max volume) then subtract 13 steps. It takes a while, but if you're amping and you actually want good SQ out of it, you MUST be below minus 13 volume.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,378 of 3,124
I did notice distortion when I used an amp before cranking the aliens volume, I just never knew how many steps it was. Thank you for the info. And thanks loquah for more info as well.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #2,379 of 3,124
I can confirm most of Loquah's impressions, though I haven't A/B'd the two units much as I only have one micro-SD card with me. 

To my non-expert ears this is not an insignificant sonic upgrade that you have to strain to hear and question if it's a placebo. In fact, in an industry built on hype it's refreshing how coy Shozy was about this latest Alien. (And how coy the pricing is too).

The sound is both quite a bit more detailed and transparent but also a little warmer and more solid. I think because the sound is more focused and solid, the sounds stage feels a little smaller. This is similar to the impression of the R2As vs R2Pros. The former sound like they have a wider stage but I think its because they have a thinner, more diffuse sound. 

I don't know what explains this but it also sounds better at low volumes than the original Alien which I thought had to be fairly loud to sound good. Maybe it's more dynamic?

Buttons are more accurate. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #2,380 of 3,124
Subbing this thread. Just finished chatting to the folks at Shozy, and paid for a pair of their Cygnus earbuds and a Gold Edition Alien...looking forward to hearing the combo :).

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #2,381 of 3,124
After not using my original Alien for a few months, I charged it up and whacked on a couple of albums for the missus to hear on the train to work. She never actually did get around to listening to it on the train, I checked a couple days later and the player was dead (as in no battery charge).

Odd.. I wonder if not using the Alien for a few months has rendered the battery to being utterly rubbish now, like it was fully charged and not used for perhaps 72hrs, and now it's dead? Can't hold a charge for sh!t?

Only other explanation is that it accidentally got switch on in the handbag... but I dunno, it was in a case and I find it hard to believe something hit that small round on button long enough to trigger it on. I'm gonna do more testing. Shame if my unit can no longer hold a charge from a brief stint of inactivity... I really hate paying $250 for stuff like this and for it to fall over in such a basic way like this :frowning2:

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2,384 of 3,124
I would do a test/simulation on purpose before you come to any conclusions.

Yeh was gonna, just thought i'd throw it out there in case any members had a similar experience. Will report back.

Also I here zero hiss with the Flare IEMs. But I didn't with the old Alien either.

Yeh I don't get the hiss comments at all. With 3 headphones (2x IEM and 1x can) I have never heard the ounce of hiss, and one of the IEMs is known for being a really hissy fecker. I also listen at insane volumes, pretty much maxed out the Alien a couple of times (tho my files were often replaygained somewhat), but still didn't hear a peep of hiss.
Either I am stuffing my ears up to the point that very low level hiss is undectable to me (YAY!), or... perhaps not all Aliens are made equal, some are more hissy than others...

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #2,385 of 3,124
  After not using my original Alien for a few months, I charged it up and whacked on a couple of albums for the missus to hear on the train to work. She never actually did get around to listening to it on the train, I checked a couple days later and the player was dead (as in no battery charge).

Odd.. I wonder if not using the Alien for a few months has rendered the battery to being utterly rubbish now, like it was fully charged and not used for perhaps 72hrs, and now it's dead? Can't hold a charge for sh!t?

Only other explanation is that it accidentally got switch on in the handbag... but I dunno, it was in a case and I find it hard to believe something hit that small round on button long enough to trigger it on. I'm gonna do more testing. Shame if my unit can no longer hold a charge from a brief stint of inactivity... I really hate paying $250 for stuff like this and for it to fall over in such a basic way like this :frowning2:

Anyone else had a similar experience?

nah it won't, but a fact is digital on/off buttons does drain a bit of batt. 
probably you will just need to plug in power and keep pressing the on button until it charges to activate the batt....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back