A little about the Campfire Audio Jupiter
Aug 31, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #302 of 347
Well to be fair that's a subjective tier list and his own opinion. I bet you wouldn't expect to see the Sony MDR 7550 ranked in the A zone either. But the point was that even if some of his rankings and placements look a bit wonky the Jupiter still competes well with other options much more expensive than it.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #304 of 347
some rough impressions on the Jupiter after using them non stop for a week

first off I cant take them out of my ears .

They sound lot warmer than what i was expecting due to the upper mid trench, luckily the trebble saves this but sometimes with some of my tracks it can be bothersome, it also takes a few minutes to adjust to the sound every time i put them in for a sesh

None of the tips that came with offer a good fit me, I usually use the grey silicone westone tips from way back. large size anything with a small bore will be sporting these. the large comply's are just not large enought to seal properly and the suplied silicone are even smaller, one thing i assume is that most people are wearing their campfires wrong, with the mmxc resting at the top of the ear - pivoted so the longest edge is parralel to the ground, meaning that the bore and tip are angles upwards in the canal, I found its far more comfy do wear them as they recomend in the booklet wth the mmxc pointing forwards and the longest bottom edge tilted up 45 degrees and the bore and tip are angled forward in the ear canal. this is way more comfy and have been able to sleep like this

every thing apart from those things i mentioned is better than the westone and I believe Westone are lagging behind alot of these new young guns, because even for a bass monitor as the umpro 50's are intended i dont think they had any special quality's goin for them that would make me choose them over the jupiters. The jupiters have a lot more bass than i was expecting and equal to the umpro 50 in a different way, where the 50 had the kick the Jupiters have the depth for me a much more enjoyable equation , I thought i heard the best treble possible with ie800's and the 50's to a different degree, Jupiters treble is like the prodigy of these two combined more realistic than the ie800 and more sweet lively and extended the the umpro50 (also has 2 dedicated trebble drivers) and lastly that soundstage wow, just when i lost hope in iem's coming from 50's and 846 its no wonder but I can just remember the asg2 not letting me down that department at al. The jupiter is an asg2 with tamed mid bass and way better trebble and takes all the bad qualities from the former and improves on them

if it wasnt for the overall warmth that comes from the upper mids section this would be by end game. we will see if the new jvc tand litz cable offer any differences
another note is they respond terriblt to any eq for me but as always suggestions are welcome

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #305 of 347
Well now you have a better idea of why I ultimately let the Jupiters go :beyersmile:

That upper midrange is still technically capable but it introduced some coherency issues. The andromeda supposedly corrects this and adds extension on both ends. I look forward to maybe being able to snag a set this coming black friday if they decide to do a B-Stock sale again.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #307 of 347
P1010505.JPG
here she is

totally different sound output here,,,,,,,, no longer longing for a sharper mid section, more coherent and natural imaging at the sacrifice of some treble sweetness or extension not quite sure still sounds great naybe no sacrafice I and not goin to do the the whole swapping back and forth as the tisel will just simpluy be now kept in the draw as a spare I hope i never will need.
TED ALLEN id an awsome job here even shortened the memory wire for me as i hate baggy wires, I did not mention I wanted the shrink wrap to be shortened aswell so i unfortunatly had to cut it myself. cant believe i got a cable this good for under 100 buks

Attachments

• P1010502.JPG
    P1010502.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #310 of 347
Really a shame. I love mine. I've been tempted to upgrade to the Andros much like a lot of folks but never felt convinced enough that they are worth the extra couple hundred bucks over the Jupiters, which just sound so damn good.

Recently bought some Kombi tips from Trinity Audio for mine, after using Complys for the past 6+ months. Lose a little bit of low-end and seal, but the treble is somehow even better and they are way more comfortable for long sessions. Plus, as they are silicone/foam hybrids, you can pop them in and out without all the annoying rolling.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #311 of 347
Out of curiosity - how do the mids compare to the Orions? Are they similar, or a bit more recessed in the Jupiter? Absolutely love the Orions, but would dig the same mids but with just a touch more extension at the top and bottom end.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #312 of 347
Jupiters have much better low and high end than the Orions, but I felt the Orion mids were better overall because there was a huge dip in the upper jupiter mids that sounded disjointed from the lower mids. Overall the Orion mids are the best in the entire lineup that I've heard so far (Orion, Nova, Jupiter, Polaris, Lyra II) I never tried other cables so I can't speak for altering the sound nor different sources that affect the OI and indirectly the sound but just keep that in mind.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #313 of 347
I used to have the issue with the tinsel cable, after mentioned it the mids did sound dead in the upper regestry , newble cable has sorted this, i feel i might have lost a little trebble extension but its still exelent, I too would be nervous trading the for andromeda because the bass on the jupiters is where its at , not too much and definatly not light either nice oily texture to it, will be looking at some asg 2.5 to compliment

Oct 27, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #314 of 347
Jupiters have much better low and high end than the Orions, but I felt the Orion mids were better overall because there was a huge dip in the upper jupiter mids that sounded disjointed from the lower mids. Overall the Orion mids are the best in the entire lineup that I've heard so far (Orion, Nova, Jupiter, Polaris, Lyra II) I never tried other cables so I can't speak for altering the sound nor different sources that affect the OI and indirectly the sound but just keep that in mind.

Thanks for the reply and being so detailed. It sounds like I'll be happier sticking with the Orions for the foreseeable future! I'd rather sacrifice a little bass and sparkle than lose those beautiful mids!

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #315 of 347
Resurrecting this old thread.

Are many still using these?

I've got them coming tomorrow, a used set here in the UK. Always been a bit curious about the Campfire's but a lack of a Euro/UK outlet makes it difficult and expensive to give them a spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back