A little about the Campfire Audio Jupiter
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 347

shigzeo

The Hiss King

I can't believe it's taken so long to get a thread about Campfire's flagship earphone up. But I hope this will help to get the ball rolling. 

Subject: Campfire Audio Jupiter

FR: 10 - 28.000 Hz
Sensitivity: 114dB @ 1V/1kHz
Impedance: 35Ω @1kHz
Engine: quad balanced armature

First, a few impressions from moi:

1. secure fit that goes pretty flush with your ear's concha
2. extremely well put together
3. hard industrial edges, but good fit
4. Mostly linear sound with good balance of lows and highs
5. Speedy enough for trance and metal
6. cables that are strong but unfriendly to glasses wearers
7. sturdy MMCX connectors
8. GREAT carrying pouch
9. nice, laid back branding
10. good isolation

Oh, and check out these close-ups of Jupiter's metal work.

Jupiter was the first Campfire earphone I really loved. Lyra's size and shell I prefer, but Jupiter is far better situated for trance, which moves me as does no other music. Interestingly, Orion is nearly on par for Trance, but isn't able to create as much y-axis depth. Jupiter has a slightly more forward midrange and upper midrange than Orion, which, in my opinion, situates it better for vocal and string-heavy music. The sound stage isn't super wide, but it is deep with lots of y-axis 3D cues. 

My biggest beef with Jupiter is that it is super sensitive. It sits rouhgly between Ultrasone's IQ and Shure's SE846 (both of which I love, the former of which I am a little embarrassed to say is a guilty pleasure of mine). That means you will hear hiss from sources you previously didn't. It also means that at home, a volume of 1 on your iPhone may be enough. The good news is that any old player can drive it for volume. But it isn't easy to drive in terms of current. Most new DAPs and phones will do a decent job of it, but to get the best out of it, you'll need something really stable: Fiio M3, Mezzo Hifi MS-AK100, iBasso DX80, etc. Unfortunately M3 hisses quite a bit. Whatever. I get on with Jupiter straight from an iPhone 4s. In fact, that phone is fast becoming my favourite portable player. Yes, its output is bested by a number of other players. But gapless. 

Anyway, if your system is up to snuff and you value isolation, somewhat forward mids, deep soundstage, good balance, and impeccable mechanics, Jupiter is a great choice. Its cable, like Lyra's, is balls. I hope to hear people chime in with their opinions. 

Articles:
1. My review of a pre-production unit at Headfonia
2. John Darko's take on it

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 347
Bought my Jupiter about a week back, been enjoying it though not with my usual Fiio X3 II + JDS Labs C5 portable combo (the former skips when playing DSD tracks, so it's being RMA'ed at the moment). I'm presently using the Jupiter (sometimes I'd swap it with my IE800 or Noble Savant) with my Sony Z5 Premium. And now, some potato pics!

As of the last couple of days, I've been using the Jupiter so that I can get to know its sound better.....

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 347
Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope to hear people chime in with their opinions.

Well, I only got to demo the Jupiter, along with the Lyra, for about 90 minutes, so I can't really say anything definitive. I liked the Jupiter. Big fan of the aesthetics.

Fit wise, neither Jupiter nor Lyra were spectacular. They got into my canals fine with the right tips (personally prefer foamies) and pass the usual yawn test and whatnot, but their chassis didn''t sit quite right. Lyra was a tad too small while the Jiputer was a tad too big. I'm not from the camp that believes customs are automatically superior just because I have my own pair. For example, my ears somehow get along fine with Sennheiser's notorious IE800, and I rate that iem up there with the best customs I've heard. I actually wish we find some way to make universals fit just as well as customs one day in the near future. That way, we won't be limited to acrylic or silicone anymore. Enclosure material might not effect timbre for BA driven iems as much (except maybe sound tube material), but it sure does play a part with dynamic drivers.

Cables felt okay sitting on my ears (I don't wear glasses), though I was sitting down the whole time so can't really say how good/bad they would work for on-the-go use. I'm rather tolerant when it comes to iem cables, to my own surprise. Reached the point where I can walk around town with FitEar's 000 cable, which would be a frickin stethoscope if not for the neck cinch.

Won't comment on sound. Didn't spend anywhere near enough time with either model to form any concrete opinions. Personally, I liked the Lyra's sound signature more than the Jupiter's, but that could just be down to the music I was playing at the time (I'm not big on trance) and my personal preference (not a treblehead), coupled with the type of fit I was getting (Lyra was less finnicky, though both were far from ideal), all of which I suspect would vary greatly from person to person, hence irrelevant unless one gets to experience both models side by side in the same environment I did.

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 347

Well, I only got to demo the Jupiter, along with the Lyra, for about 90 minutes, so I can't really say anything definitive. I liked the Jupiter. Big fan of the aesthetics.

Fit wise, neither Jupiter nor Lyra were spectacular. They got into my canals fine with the right tips (personally prefer foamies) and pass the usual yawn test and whatnot, but their chassis didn''t sit quite right. Lyra was a tad too small while the Jiputer was a tad too big. I'm not from the camp that believes customs are automatically superior just because I have my own pair. For example, my ears somehow get along fine with Sennheiser's notorious IE800, and I rate that iem up there with the best customs I've heard. I actually wish we find some way to make universals fit just as well as customs one day in the near future. That way, we won't be limited to acrylic or silicone anymore. Enclosure material might not effect timbre for BA driven iems as much (except maybe sound tube material), but it sure does play a part with dynamic drivers.

Cables felt okay sitting on my ears (I don't wear glasses), though I was sitting down the whole time so can't really say how good/bad they would work for on-the-go use. I'm rather tolerant when it comes to iem cables, to my own surprise. Reached the point where I can walk around town with FitEar's 000 cable, which would be a frickin stethoscope if not for the neck cinch.

Won't comment on sound. Didn't spend anywhere near enough time with either model to form any concrete opinions. Personally, I liked the Lyra's sound signature more than the Jupiter's, but that could just be down to the music I was playing at the time (I'm not big on trance) and my personal preference (not a treblehead), coupled with the type of fit I was getting (Lyra was less finnicky, though both were far from ideal), all of which I suspect would vary greatly from person to person, hence irrelevant unless one gets to experience both models side by side in the same environment I did.

Thanks for the review. 

I've also found a number of people that prefer Lyra to anything. For me it is a bit too warm. But that's anecdotal experience. BTW, have you tried the new Beyer AKT8? I've met three of four people that have tried it that said it fit them as good as a custom. Another said it didn't work at all. I'm one of the three of four. Best fit I've used. The sound is very similar to Lyra (from memory). 

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 347

Thanks for the review. 

I've also found a number of people that prefer Lyra to anything. For me it is a bit too warm. But that's anecdotal experience. BTW, have you tried the new Beyer AKT8? I've met three of four people that have tried it that said it fit them as good as a custom. Another said it didn't work at all. I'm one of the three of four. Best fit I've used. The sound is very similar to Lyra (from memory). 

Was catching up on your writings over at Ohm and Headfonia (and that cesspool of the internet that is Twitter) just now, probably around the same time you were posting that reply. Firstly, congratulations for the successful offspring creation, and my sympathies for the sibilance you'll be experiencing during nights. Also nice to see the humble GX680 getting the respect it deserves in this badge-hipster age of Leica-this and Hasselballs-that.

Agree with you on the Campfire packaging. Brilliant all round. Just Googled the Beyer AKT8. Got my hopes up till I realized the AK stood for Ang & Kim (refuse to call them Astell & Kern, those characters don't exist). Not a fan of that company and I try to avoid any product by them, or products "optimized" for their players. I find their release cycle offensive. My personaly beef aside, I must admit that the particular iem does look pretty spiffy. Pictures of it worn over the ear (via Google Images) do seem to suggest a great fit.

Up till now, the over-ear universal that I've found best fitting has been the Shure 846. I suspect part of the reason is simply the sheer amount of tips Shure included in the box.Maybe I'd get the same fit with some other brands/models if I'd bothered exploring tip options, but as it stands, right now, I'd go as far as saying that if customs didn't exist, the 846 would be my BA iem of choice.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 347

Was catching up on your writings over at Ohm and Headfonia (and that cesspool of the internet that is Twitter) just now, probably around the same time you were posting that reply. Firstly, congratulations for the successful offspring creation, and my sympathies for the sibilance you'll be experiencing during nights. Also nice to see the humble GX680 getting the respect it deserves in this badge-hipster age of Leica-this and Hasselballs-that.

Agree with you on the Campfire packaging. Brilliant all round. Just Googled the Beyer AKT8. Got my hopes up till I realized the AK stood for Ang & Kim (refuse to call them Astell & Kern, those characters don't exist). Not a fan of that company and I try to avoid any product by them, or products "optimized" for their players. I find their release cycle offensive. My personaly beef aside, I must admit that the particular iem does look pretty spiffy. Pictures of it worn over the ear (via Google Images) do seem to suggest a great fit.

Up till now, the over-ear universal that I've found best fitting has been the Shure 846. I suspect part of the reason is simply the sheer amount of tips Shure include in the box, and maybe I'd get the same with some other models if I'd bothered exploring tip options, but as it stands, right now, I'd go as far as saying that if customs didn't exist, the 846 would be my BA iem of choice.

Obviously we're brothers. Thank you re: the birth of my daughter. She's wonderful. And loud. Funnily enough: I use a Leica M for commercial people photography and a Hasselblad back on a number of different cameras for other commercial photography. One happens to be the GX680. Another happens to be a Rollei X-ACT 2 (which will be sold), a third happens to be a Sinar ArTec (for architecture). I don't think I'm a hipster. I just use what works. And digital backs are heaps important and the GX680 is a great body for them.

I think Campfire nailed the packaging. Jupiter's is the grittiest and Orion's the cutest. 

The AKT8 is made by Beyer. I have no idea how much AK had to do with it. Maybe a lot. I'm with you on their brand, but had no idea that A&K stood for Ang and Kim. Whatever. I've bagged and bagged and bagged on them, especially their release cycle. But they're Samsung's Lexus. No one should expect more, or better taste. I'm now tired. They can do what and pretend who they want to be. We all do it to some extent. 

I didn't have good fit with the SE846, and actually find Jupiter/Orion to be much more secure. SE846 bumped too far back in my ears and the cable was even worse. Still, great earphone. If you don't get on with Jupiter's included tips, a simple ortofon may work out for you, though it is a slightly loose fit. Anyway, thank you again for chiming in. Great to see so many crossed paths. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 347
  Bought my Jupiter about a week back, been enjoying it though not with my usual Fiio X3 II + JDS Labs C5 portable combo (the former skips when playing DSD tracks, so it's being RMA'ed at the moment). I'm presently using the Jupiter (sometimes I'd swap it with my IE800 or Noble Savant) with my Sony Z5 Premium. And now, some potato pics!

(snipped nice pics)

As of the last couple of days, I've been using the Jupiter so that I can get to know its sound better.....

Thanks for joining the thread, mikey1964. The X3ii is pretty nice isn't it? Sorry to hear about it skipping DSD. You know what doesn't? An iPhone 4 or iPod touch with DSD software. But X3ii has a slightly better output for Jupiter than does the iPhone. More stable, which is important for such a sensitive earphone. When you get better acquainted, keep us informed.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 347
I wish I could compare this to the K10U Aluminum. Hopefully someone who has both will eventually post their comparison.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 347
Hey Shigzeo- thanks for starting the Jupiter specific thread. I'm a happy new owner of a pair as well. I'm running it with the Questyle QP1R. Very nice match. I do hear a touch of hiss as you mention, but once the music begins it's no big deal! 
biggrin.gif

I find the Jupiter very 'connected', and pretty complete across the board. Wonderful level of detail, no harshness at all, and it really draws one into whatever music being listened to. 

A buddy of mine in town just got the Lyra, and sprung for the SXC 24 spc cable... and while I liked the Jupiter better than the Lyra, that cable really worked wonders for both. I'm going to have to try a couple upgrade cables I think. 

Anyway, hope more find out about this IEM. Pretty cool/impressive this is ALO's first IEM line. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 347
I have the K10 custom (which sounds a bit different than the universal). I'd be happy to add my thoughts, but again, it's not the same thing.

I would still love to get as much info as possible. I'm all ears.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 347
My Jupiter should be arriving early next week. I can then submit some comparisons between them and the CFA Orion and K3003. I blame my now-empty wallet on cn11!!

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 347
You should be thankful it's $899 now instead of the originally slated $1299!! Think that's possibly $400 to cable upgrade... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 347
I just got the Jupiter 2 days ago and love it for the imaging and layering of the music it produce. I am not good at describing sound but i would say the dynamic is good too. I was thinking of getting UERR but what hesitate me to buy is too much treble. I am searching what iem should i get as i want iem to sound as true as the instruments sound which include the bass. Of course, the recording of the music does play a part too in producing true sound. So i wonder if UERR is producing the true sound. When i first hear Jupiter, i did not like it as my heart is not there but when i try it second time again, i love the imaging and layering of the Jupiter. The bass texture is clear and separation is good. So i bought it on this 2nd try. Now using it with sxc24 instead. It really worth buying this Jupiter as there are 2 ALO cables in the package. I like the AKi8 but i find it is over price. I trust product from ALO because from the cable experience. The cable from ALO is really good sounding. I did not know that campfire is from ALO until i read about it which makes me feel more assure of the purchase that i make for Jupiter is of good quality.

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #15 of 347
I have the K10 custom (which sounds a bit different than the universal). I'd be happy to add my thoughts, but again, it's not the same thing.
Hello, how is it not the same thing? It's a BA iem so should be comparable. I am interested in the Jupiter but I wonder if they can play with the big boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back