A good portable amp + headphone combination, for an iPod use.
Nov 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 22

Quote:

Quote:
HD650 for a protable? Are you as crazy as that guy who bought K701's for use on long train rides?

Ahah what's wrong with HD650 and portable amp? I keep hearing that, but have no explanation at all!

If you don't know your not ready to buy an HD650.

But to really answer your question is that not only are HD650's large and a bit funky looking, they are also very pick with your amp/DAC/Source music( need high quality stuff for these), and they are also OPEN which means you will leak so much sound, if your around anyone they will here what you ar elistening too and you will here every word they say, every baby that's crying, every dog borking, every ambient noise in your enviroment will seep in and ruin your listening experience.

Idealy, HD650's should be used at home on a desktop amp with a high quality DAC and either a CD player or a computer with FLAC's. Portable will sound pretty bad( think ibuds bad) to a full home set up.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
HD650 for a protable? Are you as crazy as that guy who bought K701's for use on long train rides?

Ahah what's wrong with HD650 and portable amp? I keep hearing that, but have no explanation at all!

If you don't know your not ready to buy an HD650.

But to really answer your question is that not only are HD650's large and a bit funky looking, they are also very pick with your amp/DAC/Source music( need high quality stuff for these), and they are also OPEN which means you will leak so much sound, if your around anyone they will here what you ar elistening too and you will here every word they say, every baby that's crying, every dog borking, every ambient noise in your enviroment will seep in and ruin your listening experience.

Idealy, HD650's should be used at home on a desktop amp with a high quality DAC and either a CD player or a computer with FLAC's. Portable will sound pretty bad( think ibuds bad) to a full home set up.

Hehe I'm probably not ready to buy one, indeed. I don't really know much about how to optimize performances of cans, but I'm here to learn and to get informations.
I'm not stuck on the "portable amp" idea anyway, if I get to notice many people advise me against it, I will just stick with the home set. What would you advice me to get then? And for what kind of cans portable amps are actually interesting?
Thank you a lot for sharing your knowledge!

Dec 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #20 of 22
Yeah and open phones have no isolation so you wouldnt hear anything outside! Plus it would leak a lot of sound so u might get kicked out of a say library, class or bus. That's why the HD650s are ONLY for home use or studio use. Please just stick to closed cans or IEMs for portable use. 

Quote:
Quote:

Haha I like this response, I agree full large size headphone for portable use is crazy.  I just can't picture seeing someone on the street with there full size on tapping their foot, maybe I'm out of the loop for fashion.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 22
Im glad you gravitated to the Arrow. Its got plenty of power to drive most anything, except perhaps the orthodynamics.

As for your choice of cans, for public use you definitely want closed vs open. The HD25-1 II is a good choice. Thats what i use when not using Westone 3 IEMs.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back