A fun exercise (I hope): Which IEMs best define each sound signature?
Mar 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:
When you say "analytical" do you mean flat or detail orientated (i.e. treble bias)? Also "[size=x-small]balanced (or bass and treble)[/size]" would be V-shaped or close to neutrality but not quite?

To answer your either/or questions, I'll be a pain and answer "yes."  Which is to say that there are degrees within these (admittedly imperfect) categories.  By analytical I mean that treble is the emphasized portion of the spectrum, frequently resulting in high level resolution of detail and plenty of sparkle (though not necessarily with sibilance). To some ears, these would sound thin, edgy, and brittle.  By balanced, I mean that there is some sort of a U or V shaped frequency curve, with varying degrees of a laid back mid range.  Detail fanatics might find these a bit muddy, especially if the mid and upper bass emphasis crowds out some of the mid range. 

If these were speakers we were talking about, I would liken analytical to many of the professional studio monitors--relentlessly revealing and excellent in conveying dynamics, but sometimes accused of playing a series of noises, not music.  Balanced is akin to the classic British sound--sometimes accused of being musical at the expense of some detail, a more euphonic than "hi-fi" sound.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 19
Mayordean, this isn't specifically on-topic but it still might help you nonetheless.

I'd like to recommend that you include a copy of Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show CD with whatever IEMs you're loaning out.  It will help simulate the experience of listening to speakers, and as such, will probably help them get one step closer to explaining what they would like. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 19
Mar 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 19
Welcome of course.  Alternatively, you could loan out an amp with crossfeed, but the CD is probably cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back