A few questions about Shure SE215 over Klipsch S4
Mar 30, 2013 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

matez6

New Head-Fier
These are all things I haven't found from searching for many hours on many forums.
My pair of Klipsch S4 got stolen so I'm tossing up between S4 II (apparently very similar in sound to original) and Shure se215. Open to alternative suggestions, though only around this price range.

I mainly listen to rock (ACDC, Arctic Monkeys), though vocals are very important for my favourites (Florence + the Machine, The xx), I do enjoy bass though (Tiesto, Dubstep).

Was extremely happy with sound from S4 though nothing much for comparison(came from SoundMagic PL50, big jump) and am wondering which will be best for my musical taste. 
After reading a couple of reviews I found it mentioned somewhere a bloke regretted not buying se215's over S4's. Thus, my only experience with foam ear tips wasn't very pleasant as I didn't  think they were comfortable and I couldn't get both to sit in my ear without digging them in deep to my ear, which felt weird.

Concerns with Shure se215:
  1. Comfortable wearing glasses?
  2. I really prefer rubber tip, are they any good with these? I'll wear foam if need be. (The S4 tips were amazingly comfortable and easy to put on.)
  3. I know there's the advantage of reinforced rubber etc around the important parts which is nice, but does this make them too bulky/heavy?
  4. I’ve seen for some people they’re not sitting very nicely or irritating the ear (since it’s over-ear), this was the case for my previous over-ears (soundmagic pl50) it really wasn’t pleasant/comfortable to wear them.
  5. In all, will I enjoy listening to them? And do you think I’ll be happy with them over the S4 II ?

If I do get the Shure se215's I'll do a very detailed video comparison (with my friend's pair for S4) covering everything I've read to do with physical differences and my own input for music preferences.

Absolutely any input/reply is welcome and appreciated.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 7
There's probably a cheaper option than the 215s, but I've had the 215s so I'll answer your questions about them;

- They're alright wearing glasses. The cable doesn't have much microphonics in that regard.

- Without the rubber tip the isolation is definitely not as good as foam. If you can bear it, stick with foam. They're pretty easy to put on.

- It doesn't make them bulky or heavy, but you have to remember the cable is 1.6m long. If you're putting it in your front pocket, you'll have a lot of slack. You might want to run it over your back instead.

- I find the 215s more comfortable than my current 535s. They have a smooth outer area, which should be ok.

- Regarding the music you enjoy listening to, I think you'll enjoy the 215s. The bass is punch enough to satisfy, and the mids are lush enough to fill that need for smooth vocals.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 7
The 215's  ($109AUD) are in my price range and I found them cheaper than what I can find the S4 II ($129AUD). I'm essentially after the best pair sub that price.
That's a long bloody cable mate. Gotta be the only thing putting me off the 215's now. 
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated.
I'm really liking the 2-year warranty of the 215's. Good to know it's there.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 7
The 215's  ($109AUD) are in my price range and I found them cheaper than what I can find the S4 II ($129AUD). I'm essentially after the best pair sub that price.
That's a long bloody cable mate. Gotta be the only thing putting me off the 215's now. 
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated.
I'm really liking the 2-year warranty of the 215's. Good to know it's there.

No worries. They are one of my favourite pairs of IEMs for sure.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 7
If the cable length is an issue go with the 215 limited edition. A little bit more money but a shorter cable and better bass in my opinion. Or go with the standard and get the Logitech UE 900 replacement cable. Same length as the Shure basic 215's but much much lighter and less noticeable than the Shure cable.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Does anyone know if the Klipsc S4 tips can be used on the 215's or any other kind of earbuds?  I'm pretty sure my S4's just started acting up last night to where I have to bend the end of the cable to a point where the quality is pretty good but still not where it used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back