A Few Questions About Sennheiser HD518
May 7, 2011 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lemiix

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
I am thinking about buying the Sennheiser HD518, But before I buy these headphones I just need a clear a few things. Could you guys please answer me these following questions about the Sennheiser HD518.

1. Do the Sennheiser HD518 use Velour Earpads? On the Sennheiser Website it says Velour Earpads for the HD558 and HD598 but for HD518 it just says very comfortable Earpads?

2. If I buy Replacement Earpads for Sennheiser HD558/HD598 will they fit on the HD518?

3. Do all the Sennheiser HD5*8 all use the same cable? (Eg. If I buy Sennheiser HD598/HD558 replacement cable will they work with the Sennheiser HD518)

4. Do I need to buy a Amplifier for these headphones? On Headphone.com it states that
"..employing a quality amp adds dynamic bloom, expands transient 'quickness' and delivers a tighter-textured low-end, along with clearer definition of subtle recording nuances..."?

Hope you guys could answer these questions for me.

May 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 4
They're not velour, just look at the photos. They're another type of cloth.

Don't know about replacing pads or cables, but they do seem to indeed fit the same way across the range.

About the amp, that statement is true for about all headphones. I have HD595s and they sound slightly better amped, but not enough to warrant buying an amp for them. In fact, one of their plusses is that you can save the money on the amp...
I've heard the 518s in a store, and they have a more or less similar signature (with more bass and less detail, IMO). The impedance graph is mostly identical, as well as the given specs, so I'd say they don't need an amp either.

May 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 4
I owned them briefly.  They utilize a kind of pseudo-velour.  It's slightly scratchier than regular velour, but not uncomfortable.  I used them with a Fiio E9, so I don't know if an amp helps, but I don't think it can ever hurt.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 4
@Lemix,

Yes the pads and cables are interchangeable for the 518/558/598, that was the first thing I checked when I bought them at a friends store who is an authorized re-seller for Senns.

I also would have to agree with Marximus that using an amp doesn't hurt, I actually also got to choose between the E7 and the E11 from fiio and I took the E11 since it made my HD518 sound fuller and gave the low end more oomph and it also made the overall sound warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back