A Detailed Comparison of my Sennheiser Collection (HD800, HD650, HD600, HD545)
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #16 of 36
Appreciate the comparison and easy to understand. I started out with the 600's before coming over to the 650's, I 'liked' the 600's but fell in-love with the 650's and just couldn't go back!

Mjolnir (First gen) with the 650's is something to behold! Jotunheim and Darvoice are close seconds regarding amps!

I was lured in to the world of tubes through the 600/650's but damn...a decent Solid-state can make the 650's SING!

@The Correlation - Will you be adding to this thread later? i.e. 660s/700 or MD 58x?
That looks like a truly wonderful set-up, I didn't realise how big the Mjolnir was! I have only heard demo 700s and 660s', but in the event that I (probably) impulsively buy one of them I will make sure to add to the thread.

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 36
Interesting comparison. I m getting more and more intrigued by the 650, I need to hear them and see what I maybe - or may be not- missing out on. I m in love with my 800s but we all look for different qualities I guess

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #19 of 36
Please bare with me, im new to audio stuffs so i dont know how to describe my opinion in a technical way.

I got a chance to try out the HD800, HD600 and my own HE560 today, and IMO, the 800 sounds...weird. Those cans desplay incredible details, incredible female vocals, amazing speed for a dynamic pair, impressive soundstage, but lacks pretty much everything else. In bass heavy song, the 800 disappointed me with its fully extended, yet lifeless bass . In song that has male vocal and lots of guitar, it feels somewhat artificial. Dont even mention about gaming, i'd choose the 600 or he560 for gaming any day, as gaming is not about accuracy, but immersion.
As someone who listen to various genre of music and also playing video games, i don't like the HD800 that much.

As for the HD600, those headphones really impressed me. Idk how describe it, but i love how laid back and warm they sound, and versatile too! those headphones don't have the treble peak problem of the HE560, sounds just detailed enough, and its doing well with all kinds of songs i'm throwing at it. Its lighter and way easier to drive than the HE560 too, which is a major plus. I can drive those with my macbook pro 2015 just fine, while the HE560 cannot.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #20 of 36
@tan.phan.vt - I think you expressed your opinions very well mate! Give the 650's a listen when you get the chance! ;D

Nov 20, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #21 of 36
Interesting comparison. I m getting more and more intrigued by the 650, I need to hear them and see what I maybe - or may be not- missing out on. I m in love with my 800s but we all look for different qualities I guess
The HD650 has thick boosted bass that extends fairly well, Sennheiser mid-range that sounds similar on HD580/600, even the HD555, rolled off treble making them what is called 'dark' headphones. It loses a bit of detail going the slow and smooth road. Very euphonic headphone with intimate soundstage that flatters even badly recorded material in a way the HD600 won't. In many ways the HD650 is the opposite of headphones like Beyerdynamic's DT880 or the HD800 (never heard one). I imagine there would be quite a transition going from one to the other. I suspect the overall sound quality of the HD650 won't be quite as high as the expensive and technological HD800, detail also gets lost in the bass and cut off treble.

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 36
Thanks for the review strangely enough I've just bought my first pair of sennheiser headphones! Seriously I've been listening to cans for over 30 years now and been on here off and on for over ten. I'm probably one of the few people who haven't owned sennheisers even though they were built in Ireland where I live :)

Anyway got the 600's 2nd hand tweaked with leather pads, 650 headband and xlr van damme cable. They are exactly as you describe them in fact I found your post after listening to them for a few hours. Great mids definitely not a bass can and comfort for me is not as good as some of the other gear I own. I would say for acoustic and mid range centric (is that a thing?) listening they beat my other cans apart from the stax but that was going to be obvious. Not my favourite particularly if your a randomised listener and will jump from metal to acoustic voice to classical in the same listening session but for what they do best I consider them very good.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 36
Of course, preference is key. Because I am not a treble head, the 800 needs 'fixing' for me, but I can imagine them being great for someone with different preferences given their marvellous technical ability. The 650 is one of the few 'must listen' headphones given its pedigree in the audiophile community, so trying them out is definitely worth it.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 36
Thanks for the review strangely enough I've just bought my first pair of sennheiser headphones! Seriously I've been listening to cans for over 30 years now and been on here off and on for over ten. I'm probably one of the few people who haven't owned sennheisers even though they were built in Ireland where I live :)

Anyway got the 600's 2nd hand tweaked with leather pads, 650 headband and xlr van damme cable. They are exactly as you describe them in fact I found your post after listening to them for a few hours. Great mids definitely not a bass can and comfort for me is not as good as some of the other gear I own. I would say for acoustic and mid range centric (is that a thing?) listening they beat my other cans apart from the stax but that was going to be obvious. Not my favourite particularly if your a randomised listener and will jump from metal to acoustic voice to classical in the same listening session but for what they do best I consider them very good.
Congrats on the purchase! I'm glad to hear our impressions are similar, the 600's midrange is indeed very good. Out of interest, have you tried the 600 with different pads? In theory, leather is less permeable than velour, and typically causes a stronger seal as a result. This should increase the general bass region, so your 600 might actually sound slightly tweaked as a result. Not a bad thing at all, I actually prefer the sealed memory foam aftermarket pads on my 650 as I like the additional bass lift.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #25 of 36
Please bare with me, im new to audio stuffs so i dont know how to describe my opinion in a technical way.

I got a chance to try out the HD800, HD600 and my own HE560 today, and IMO, the 800 sounds...weird. Those cans desplay incredible details, incredible female vocals, amazing speed for a dynamic pair, impressive soundstage, but lacks pretty much everything else. In bass heavy song, the 800 disappointed me with its fully extended, yet lifeless bass . In song that has male vocal and lots of guitar, it feels somewhat artificial. Dont even mention about gaming, i'd choose the 600 or he560 for gaming any day, as gaming is not about accuracy, but immersion.
As someone who listen to various genre of music and also playing video games, i don't like the HD800 that much.

As for the HD600, those headphones really impressed me. Idk how describe it, but i love how laid back and warm they sound, and versatile too! those headphones don't have the treble peak problem of the HE560, sounds just detailed enough, and its doing well with all kinds of songs i'm throwing at it. Its lighter and way easier to drive than the HE560 too, which is a major plus. I can drive those with my macbook pro 2015 just fine, while the HE560 cannot.
Your description was more than fine, and actually matches up with my thoughts exactly. As mentioned, EQ definitely makes the 800 a lot more tolerable, but the 600 midrange is something it won't really match. I used to have the 560, but they were definitely not to my tastes as I found the treble to be too bright and peaky.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 36
Haven't tried different pads as they are one of my new toys along with audioquest nighthawks. From previous reading you seem to be right regarding pads I actually have a set of 650 pads fitted to a set of dual driver dynamic cans with electrostatic tweeters (don't ask) maybe I'll give them a try after the honeymoon period.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 36
Love the NH's, I have the wood-finish version. They do excellently when compared to the 600/650's!

As for pads, one area where I feel Sennheiser took everything in account when tuning the 600/650's, as I find changing the pads from anything other than the foamies can heavily change the sound signature and probably for the worst! Even aging foam pads sound slightly different to brand new pads. I've tried a few dekoni pads and just end up resorting back to the original. It is a shame as I feel leather pads on the Sennheiser looks more classier, alas I believe the new HD820's are using a hybrid style pad.

De-linting 600/650's ear pads, should be a national past-time! :D

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #28 of 36
Haven't tried different pads as they are one of my new toys along with audioquest nighthawks. From previous reading you seem to be right regarding pads I actually have a set of 650 pads fitted to a set of dual driver dynamic cans with electrostatic tweeters (don't ask) maybe I'll give them a try after the honeymoon period.
Oh are the hybrids you have the AKG K340?

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #29 of 36
Having had a chance to recently compare HD800, Utopia, HD600, HD540 and Etymotic ER4SR

I would rank for timbre accuracy

ER4SR / Utopia / HD540 / HD600 / hd800

For overall sound quality

Utopia / HD800 / ER4SR / hd600 / hd540

Best value HD600 - kind just hits a number of sweet spots all round. I could see the argument for one preferring these over all the others.

All of these headphones are great. I think one thing that confuses people so much is if the hd800 scores low for timbre accuracy how it isregarded so highly by many. People have to understand that Sennheiser has taken a very stylistic take on the diffuse field curve in order to relax / expand the overall sound field, creating atmosphere and depth. This is a quality of its own, and although a bit artificial makes the hd800 among the very few headphones to really accomplish this (Sony MDR-F1 says hi). The 600 is actually closer to the DF curve but is still a bit warm up top. The 540 has a brighter than neutral top end but it helps bring dynamic to stringed instruments. The 540 has a reference sound but the 600 matches it and exceeds it in some ways by adding more body.

For accuracy the ER4SR is among the most tonally accurate headphones I’ve heard. Love them. Etymotic are very much pioneers of the diffuse field curve which is much different than the harman curve and one that many still prefer. I will say music, especially classical, as well as binaural field recordings of nature are more lifelike and real than any of the other headphones. The DF curve might appear a bit bass light to some who are used to the bass oriented consumer cans and movie experience. Harman curve is fine but more for pop, dance and modern music styles. For realism DF all the way.

The Utopia is like a super 650. With technical excellence that edges out the 800. It is among the best balanced headphones ever made imo being able to be great at everything. It is also easy to drive and sound great out of almost all sources. It has realism, a bit of euphony with stark technicality combined. The only things I dislike are the price and comfort!

The hd800 I prefer unmodded as I like its spatial qualities. I let my mind acclimate to its sound and forgive its weaknesses. I’m not always looking to tune everything perfect, many times I like listening to a certain set for its character. If I want dead on accuracy I have the ER4SR (which is only lacking in the subbass extension). Listening to ambient or classical on the 800 just puts you in its own world. Bass is also excellent and easy to tune up if you want more impact.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #30 of 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back