A comparison of all my IEMs NOW WITH REVIEW:-)! W3, Sennheiser IE8, UE10 pro, SE530, ER4P, Triple Fi, Sensaphonics 2XS etc.
Jul 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #183 of 195
I'm sure this is posted, but im not gonna read through 180 pages. If you're sensitive to highs, like i am, listen to mostly electric and some rock music, will the IE8 or W3 be the best fit? Isolation is not as important as SQ and signature fit, though i did hear of that mod...

They will be used from an amp

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #184 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure this is posted, but im not gonna read through 180 pages. If you're sensitive to highs, like i am, listen to mostly electric and some rock music, will the IE8 or W3 be the best fit? Isolation is not as important as SQ and signature fit, though i did hear of that mod...

They will be used from an amp

Based on everything you just posted, the IE8 will be better for you.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #185 of 195
Wow, this was my impression of the SE420s and I happen to enjoy it very much. Based on feedback, sounds like the SE530s have a similar signature - but '530s go to 11'
tongue.gif

I'm in no hurry to upgrade the SE420s - although I've seen some references to 530s available at the same price I got the 420s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thoughts about the SE530: The SE530s are a unique beast. They don't do EVERYTHING well, but what they do really really well they're almost unbeatable in. They have a very WET and smooth response....

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #187 of 195
Indeed. I think this just made me decide to buy the IE8s.
tongue.gif

I recently purchased the Triple.Fi 10, and I do like it, but there are certain traits that I try to look for that the TF10 isn't quite doing. The description of the IE8 leads me to believe that is capable of the certain aspects that I like to find in sound reproduction, like realism, air, and a great sense of space. I also don't mind EQing, so any issues with bass and treble response can be fixed.

I do find it interesting how much he likes the W3, and I'd be curious him comparing the UM3X to the W3, IE8, and such if he ever owns one. It's nice to see a dynamic driver so well regarded, but it's not a major surprise I guess. Earphones like the RE0 have high praise as well for getting away with doing a lot with just a single dynamic driver. I own Yuin's OK1 bud, and that is an amazing piece that is capable of great realism, air, and separation. I was hoping for a bit of a repeat with the Triple.Fis, but they just don't quite give the right presentation. I'll agree the frequency response is pretty darn good but with this boosted low midrange/high midbass bump that stands out.

Whenever anybody says something sounds "real," I tend to take note.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #188 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. I think this just made me decide to buy the IE8s.
tongue.gif

I recently purchased the Triple.Fi 10, and I do like it, but there are certain traits that I try to look for that the TF10 isn't quite doing. The description of the IE8 leads me to believe that is capable of the certain aspects that I like to find in sound reproduction, like realism, air, and a great sense of space. I also don't mind EQing, so any issues with bass and treble response can be fixed.

I do find it interesting how much he likes the W3, and I'd be curious him comparing the UM3X to the W3, IE8, and such if he ever owns one. It's nice to see a dynamic driver so well regarded, but it's not a major surprise I guess. Earphones like the RE0 have high praise as well for getting away with doing a lot with just a single dynamic driver. I own Yuin's OK1 bud, and that is an amazing piece that is capable of great realism, air, and separation. I was hoping for a bit of a repeat with the Triple.Fis, but they just don't quite give the right presentation. I'll agree the frequency response is pretty darn good but with this boosted low midrange/high midbass bump that stands out.

Whenever anybody says something sounds "real," I tend to take note.

I think I am liking the new Head-direct HiFiMan RE252 better than my IE8... Watch out for that one. It will be 2-3 weeks for my review.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #190 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I am liking the new Head-direct HiFiMan RE252 better than my IE8... Watch out for that one. It will be 2-3 weeks for my review.

That's one of the only 'phones I've ever removed from my buying consideration because of looks. I hate that thing that juts out of it.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #191 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by krucacing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really cant get the hype about the Westone 3 SQ
confused_face(1).gif
IMO it has loose bass and sibilant highs, it didn't take long to realize this, i notice this in the first track i am listening to....

The W3 sound changes a lot with different ear tips and different amps. For example, W3 + single flange silicone tips + iBasso T3 amp = sibilance, but switch the T3 amp to a uDAC and it's gone, or switch the tips to a UM56 and it's gone without changing the amp or source. And the list goes on. And it will be different for different amps, tips, peoples ears and even depends on how deep you insert them into the ears as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one of the only 'phones I've ever removed from my buying consideration because of looks. I hate that thing that juts out of it.

I'm not saying the RE252 are the best sounding or best looking, but the IE8 bass overwhelmed the mids and highs unless used with exactly the right amp, while the RE252 bass was more on the level of the mids and highs for a better balance. There are other IEM that can do that, so no worries.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #192 of 195
You know there's a bad and a good thing about owning only one of these IEM's; the IE8. The good is I can constantly focus on their sound signature and see how they and "I" evolve over time. The bad is obvious; there is nothing to compare the IE8's to. With that said I looked over the original reviewers comments about the IE8 and I agree with most points. The one aspect which isn't mentioned is just how "musical" and at one with the music the IE8 is (perhaps this is due to the warm signature and single dynamic driver). Also, since this is the only IEM I own I have been able to play with the bass adjustment considerably and listen to each adjustment over a long period of time. After 1 1/2 years of exclusively listening to the IE8, I now have the bass set to 5 out of 5. Even though I see why people say the bass is prodigious and always give the IE8 prodigious marks in the bass department, the middle setting just isn't as full to me (I do not agree with the above comment that the bass overwhelms the treble and mids). I have yet to hear of an IEM that rattles the body with bass, probably because it is precisely an IEM and not full-sized speakers in a club. I mean, how much air can an IEM really move? Having the bass turned up all the way on the IE8 is really only a few percentage points "heavier" than in the middle but it feels as if that fully opened was the way the IE8 was designed to be heard. This is subtle, to be sure, but it is what I have gathered after thousand of hours listening to the IE8 exclusively. The IE8 is so satisfying that the only temptation for me now is the JH-13 Pro.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #193 of 195
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know there's a bad and a good thing about owning only one of these IEM's; the IE8. The good is I can constantly focus on their sound signature and see how they and "I" evolve over time. The bad is obvious; there is nothing to compare the IE8's to. With that said I looked over the original reviewers comments about the IE8 and I agree with most points. The one aspect which isn't mentioned is just how "musical" and at one with the music the IE8 is (perhaps this is due to the warm signature and single dynamic driver). Also, since this is the only IEM I own I have been able to play with the bass adjustment considerably and listen to each adjustment over a long period of time. After 1 1/2 years of exclusively listening to the IE8, I now have the bass set to 5 out of 5. Even though I see why people say the bass is prodigious and always give the IE8 prodigious marks in the bass department, the middle setting just isn't as full to me (I do not agree with the above comment that the bass overwhelms the treble and mids). I have yet to hear of an IEM that rattles the body with bass, probably because it is precisely an IEM and not full-sized speakers in a club. I mean, how much air can an IEM really move? Having the bass turned up all the way on the IE8 is really only a few percentage points "heavier" than in the middle but it feels as if that fully opened was the way the IE8 was designed to be heard. This is subtle, to be sure, but it is what I have gathered after thousand of hours listening to the IE8 exclusively. The IE8 is so satisfying that the only temptation for me now is the JH-13 Pro.

This post is very much in line with my feelings of the IE8 as well. Though we all have our own interpretation of what musicality is. I also find these IEMs to be very musical and coherent sounding. It was this joy from listening to them that made me decide to become an official member even though I was a big time lurker years before my join date.

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #195 of 195
^ The IE8 has a bassy rather than balanced presentation. I'm yet to hear an earphone that does everything right to my ears but I find the IE8 a thoroughly engaging and yes, "musical" phone - whatever that means!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back