A comparison between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Sony R10
Jul 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #166 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong.
anyone that doesn't feel that the K-1000 is in the top tier,or the best ever period, is simply insane!
it is impossible to not like their sound.

Then I am insane, and capable of the impossible
L3000.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #168 of 196
Please do a quick comparison of the K1000 to the HD800 if you have the time..
regular_smile .gif

do you think that as a former owner of the K1000 i would be dissapointed with the K1000 regarding clarity and realism and tone?

Thanks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my experience with the HD800 as well. With the right amp I do get beautiful air around the instruments. Now with some other amps I don't get air around the instruments and could be called more less involving or as someone put it "lifeless". As IpodPJ and others have mentioned the HD800s do benefit from pairing with an amp that can provide some good ampfilication. Of course this could be said about any cans, and some do benefit more than others from my experience.

To answer your question IMHO, these two headphones are different. Quite simply it is just a matter of preference. Both are fantastic headphones and at $1400.00 the HD800 are a steal at this price point. There are some that want to hear a recording the way it was intended from the artists or engineers standpoint with the bad and good of the recordings. The HD800 gets you there with being very neutral and transparent type of headphones. Some of the neutral headphones I can think of that I've owned off the top of my head would be the HP-2, HP-1s, K1000, or even K701s. If you would like to have a more euphoric, fun and musical experience then the R10s gets you there. As Hirsch, Edwood and Boomana put it the R10s just gets you to that zen like state of enjoyment of just listening to the music and sounding just right. Some may mention that the HD800 are less engaging, but I don't have an issue with that on my current setup. When I listen to jazz, rock, live performances like Alison Krauss Live or Diana Krall Live in Paris, the placement of the band and even the audience to the instruments sound just right with the HD800s. But at the end of the day it really depends on your preference, plain and simple. If you ask which one is better than the other in PRat, speed, treble, textures in bass or even bass impact to imaging some can say one is better than the other. Some can even compare the K1000s with these two, which I do own, which really can't be called headphones or even speakers, but somewhere in between (ear speakers?) and try to say which one is better. The K1000s, HD800s, and R10s are all different flavors and it's your choice to determine which one you want to grab and listen to at the end of the day. Again it all depends on preference on what type of sound you like and enjoy hearing when listening to your music/genres
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #169 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K1000s, HD800s, and R10s are all different flavors and it's your choice to determine which one you want to grab and listen to at the end of the day. Again it all depends on preference on what type of sound you like and enjoy hearing when listening to your music/genres
smily_headphones1.gif

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pretty rude thing to say. I could say the same for Grado owners or L3000 fans, but that's just my opinion and doesn't make the other person clueless. One person's top tier is another person's turd pile.

x2

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #170 of 196
Jul 24, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #171 of 196
Ok, so I sold my R10's, thinking I could live very happily with the HD800's. No, I am not regreting that decision, but thinking of going even a little further. I have been listening a LOT lately to a pair of balanced Sony SA5000's (with balanced Black Dragon), and they sound just TERRIFIC. Are they the "best" headphone I have heard? No...well, probably not as I am none too sure. There is just that elusive "synergy" thing that goes on with these headphones and the 307A that makes a very compelling argument. Yeah, one could proably nitpick this or that as being "inferior" to a different headphone, but, FOR ME, the musicality and overall "evenness" to their strengths makes the balanced SA5000/307A a killer combination.

Now, whether to keep the HD800's??????

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #173 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so I sold my R10's, thinking I could live very happily with the HD800's. No, I am not regreting that decision, but thinking of going even a little further. I have been listening a LOT lately to a pair of balanced Sony SA5000's (with balanced Black Dragon), and they sound just TERRIFIC. Are they the "best" headphone I have heard? No...well, probably not as I am none too sure. There is just that elusive "synergy" thing that goes on with these headphones and the 307A that makes a very compelling argument. Yeah, one could proably nitpick this or that as being "inferior" to a different headphone, but, FOR ME, the musicality and overall "evenness" to their strengths makes the balanced SA5000/307A a killer combination.

Now, whether to keep the HD800's??????

I know SA5000 and I know Black Dragon, and they are both very good. But I was thinking, that R-10 are better. By the way, is Black Dragon better than Jena Labs?

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #174 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, is Black Dragon better than Jena Labs?

No idea.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #175 of 196
Quote:

I know SA5000 and I know Black Dragon, and they are both very good. But I was thinking, that R-10 are better. By the way, is Black Dragon better than Jena Labs?

I hope they are better. Moon-Audio is a first class mfg. that offer a very well priced product.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #177 of 196
Quote:

I know SA5000 and I know Black Dragon, and they are both very good. But I was thinking, that R-10 are better.

Maybe 4N6 will agree/disagree, but I do think the R10 is quite amp dependent, or it changes a lot from amp to amp. My amp is supposedly tuned for the R10. The L3000 has never sounded good on it, to my ears. The HD800 is doing quite well on it though.

Maybe the R10 does not do well with the 307A, not sure? Synergy does play an important role.

I have not liked the R10 with a few other amps I tried it on, Zana Deux, 909's HD2 (?), my HR amp, and the RSA P51 or XP7.

Jul 24, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #178 of 196
Thank you all for answers. Maybe soon I will be able at last to hear R-10, but someone must arrive to me from Berlin, over thousand miles do drive, so I don’t know whether it will happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back