A comparison between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Sony R10
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 196

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, someone had to do it. I am fortunate enough to own both of these headphones. I recently let go of a bass-light pair of the R10s, but I held on to the bass heavy R10s I own. I will do a very long review where I intend to compare every possible aspect of the headphones. I will focus primarilly on sound quality, but I will also include comfort and any other suggested comparisons.

I want to spend at least 3 more days burning in my HD800, and letting my ears get used to them. I can say without a doubt, both headphones are the greatest headphones I've ever heard. I also own the HD600, HD650, SA5000, D5000 (unmodded), K701, HFI700, DT990, DT880, DT770 and numerous IEMs including UE10, W3, 2XS, SE530, ER4P

I can say with complete assurance that the HD800 and the R10 are in a different league from all the other headphones mentioned.

In this review the HD800 and R10s will be listened to Single Ended only as I never received my paid-for balanced amp (SDS XLR) from Single Power (and never will I suppose)..

The ONLY amp I currently have is a very good portable amp (Larocca PRII) and unfortunately that is the best I can do for now. My Source will be an extremely beautiful DAC The MSB Platinum DAC III.

My impressions will be typed up within a week. Pictures will be included.

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 196
I envy you having the R10, and balanced through the SDS-XLR they are a wonder to behold.
smily_headphones1.gif
It is a horrible thing that happened to so many people who purchased from Single Power but there are other top notch amplifiers available. At one point I was considering purchasing one of them and now I'm glad I didn't.

I'll most likely never have an R10 but I am thrilled with the HD800 and now just need some new amps for it. I found the HD800 to be better overall to the R10 (through the Apache and B52) and HE90 (through the A10), all of those balanced of course. But the R10 has such a gorgeous sound and is closer to what I'm used to hearing in the Denons.

At this point, which one do you think you will end up listening to more and which one do you feel is the stronger performer in most areas?

Jun 5, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 196
David, though I appreciate your efforts, owning R10s, and having owned the PRII (which I regret selling), I can say pretty strongly that they aren't the best match. Which opamp version of the PRII do you own? What's your source.

I am looking forward to reading what you hear. I got my HD800s today.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 196
heard the R10 in camjam. love it but i prefer my k1000.

but to be fair, my source costs 3 times as much as what ray used(meridian G08) and my amp costs twice as much. throw in the nucleus usb cable i bought in canjam + IC , it's not a fair comparision. :)

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 196
Oh I sure as heck know the Larocca is a poor amp choice for the R10 and actually isn't the best for the HD800 also, I have my eye set on the B52, but I'll have to wait for this...............my DAC is wonderful, maybe the best DAC i've ever heard. unfortunately my impressions will be made using my Larocca PRII mkii. If that forces you to take my impressions with a grain of salt that's perfectly fine. We all know amps make a huge difference, but I have to say that the Larocca is no slouch, I prefer the larocca over several other amps I have owned. If Mikhail ever gives me my $7100 back, I'll be able to get a B52 otherwise I'll have to wait till money picks up for me.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 196
I have never heard the AKG k1000s. But they look highly uncomfortable to me and based on other impressions my suspicion about the comfort has been confirmed by many. I've never been to a head-fi meet to experience the K701 or HE90, but I have to guess that I'd love the sound of all the top models. I'm not knocking any of them, but based on my experience (and its far more limited than many who have been to meets) the R10 and HD800 are top class headphones and have not been matched by any others that I've heard. I'd imagine there are less than 10 headphones in this world which rank with those two.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 196
Sorry about your SinglePower nightmare, and I don't mean to disparage your review efforts on any front; I do think, though, that it should be noted that the R10s don't match up well with the LaRocco. I do like that little amp, though, regret selling mine (I had the earlier version) and have wondered how it would sound with the HD800s. If you're ever interested in selling yours, look me up
smile.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 196
i agree the hd800 is in another level compared to all the other phones you own. Never heard the R10, but like the other guy I do think the K1000 is also in that league as well.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 196
I guess I'll have to listen some more then. I honestly didn't like them at all in the 10 minutes or so I listened to them. But then again I didn't care for the L3000 either (or any AT for that matter) and those are also considered top-tier headphones.

I didn't care for the HD800 either at first but that quickly changed. I was just so used to the colored Denon signature. Now you'd have a hard time prying these cans off my head.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'll have to listen some more then. I honestly didn't like them at all in the 10 minutes or so I listened to them. But then again I didn't care for the L3000 either (or any AT for that matter) and those are also considered top-tier headphones.

I didn't care for the HD800 either at first but that quickly changed. I was just so used to the colored Denon signature. Now you'd have a hard time prying these cans off my head.

If you were used to the Denons, the K1000s are definitely going to sound different and maybe even wrong to you. It's a good idea never to jump to conclusions, especially about the best cans out there. Most don't reveal themselves immediately. Mid-fi cans tend to "hit" you with their sound, and if that's what you're used to, the first time you hear really high-end cans, you'll be taken aback by how non-wow they come across, but stick around for a few tracks, and the wow will sink in. If you've got a great recording, and a good source and amp, you'll get it. That doesn't mean other cans aren't equally enjoyable; they certainly can be, but it's a different way of hearing things, and though not so upfront, ultimately more satisfying.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #13 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were used to the Denons, the K1000s are definitely going to sound different and maybe even wrong to you. It's a good idea never to jump to conclusions, especially about the best cans out there. Most don't reveal themselves immediately. Mid-fi cans tend to "hit" you with their sound, and if that's what you're used to, the first time you hear really high-end cans, you'll be taken aback by how non-wow they come across, but stick around for a few tracks, and the wow will sink in. If you've got a great recording, and a good source and amp, you'll get it. That doesn't mean other cans aren't equally enjoyable; they certainly can be, but it's a different way of hearing things, and though not so upfront, ultimately more satisfying.

I heard a K1000 a while ago and was blown away by them. So I cant suggest that this is entirely true...

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're absolutely correct. It took me a little while to appreciate just how good the HD800 are because I wasn't used to them. They don't have that wow factor initially but once you get used to them you won't take them off. And going balanced with them is just an altogether different animal, but I'm sure you know just how well Sennheiser's scale.

My girlfriend kept insisting my Denons had too much treble and not enough midrange. I just thought it was her untrained ears. Seems I was the one with the untrained ears.
k701smile.gif
(And I'm very fortunate that she encourages me in this hobby and she wants to learn all about it, too. She was with me at CanJam.)

The HD800 are superb with vocals, jazz, classical, acoustic, and even light rock. The jury is still out for me though with heavier rock and electronic. I am buying an ApureSound V3 for it, balanced, and I don't even have a balanced amp yet but I will shortly. My DAC is very good to excellent so it will be with me awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back