A comparison between the Sennheiser HD800 and the Sony R10
Jul 29, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #182 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pretty rude thing to say. I could say the same for Grado owners or L3000 fans, but that's just my opinion and doesn't make the other person clueless. One person's top tier is another person's turd pile.

How Ironic.

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #183 of 196
I did get the chance to compare a late-serial number pair of R10s with HD-800s on my Ref 1/Phoenix rig, the latter having the advantage of being balanced. Different flavours indeed, with the R10s being much darker, too dark for me in fact. I also think the pads were a bit flat, mucking up the headstage. I would happily accept that my amp isn't the best for the R10s, but I did much prefer the low serial number pair I heard some time back.

To compare, I think the description of them based on their respective manufacturers' intent when designing them very much sums them up. The HD-800s are the most "technically correct" headphone and I like them because the treble isn't fatiguing with the amp I have, and I like my source very much. With a lesser amp and DAC I do not like them. I like how they bring almost all of the delicacy of electrostats with the punch of a dynamic and the epic headstage (which is too much with more intimate recordings).

The R10s have what the HD-800s have, but bring the sheer beauty of the music out, making you want to just listen for hours. If only they hadn't been so dark, the pads not so worn and the cable balanced.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #186 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did get the chance to compare a late-serial number pair of R10s with HD-800s on my Ref 1/Phoenix rig, the latter having the advantage of being balanced. Different flavours indeed, with the R10s being much darker, too dark for me in fact. I also think the pads were a bit flat, mucking up the headstage. I would happily accept that my amp isn't the best for the R10s, but I did much prefer the low serial number pair I heard some time back.

To compare, I think the description of them based on their respective manufacturers' intent when designing them very much sums them up. The HD-800s are the most "technically correct" headphone and I like them because the treble isn't fatiguing with the amp I have, and I like my source very much. With a lesser amp and DAC I do not like them. I like how they bring almost all of the delicacy of electrostats with the punch of a dynamic and the epic headstage (which is too much with more intimate recordings).

The R10s have what the HD-800s have, but bring the sheer beauty of the music out, making you want to just listen for hours. If only they hadn't been so dark, the pads not so worn and the cable balanced.

My R10 is anything but dark in my system. The R10 is probably the most difficult to drive headphone in my system.

Vinnie,

Very nice impression. I agreed completely with your observation b/w the two phones (HD800 vs. R10). I'm not sure that you get a chance to notice, but the R10 does scale more with better material as well as source and amp than the HD800.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #187 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My R10 is anything but dark in my system. The R10 is probably the most difficult to drive headphone in my system.

Going by your sig, you possibly have an early "bass light" pair which don't sound as dark as the late-SN pair I tried recently.

I think Vinnie described better than I did the differences though. I forgot to mention the delicious mids. I'm going to put an OCCC cable on my pair to see how that goes, once the connectors arrive. I just hope there's enough space for the wire to fit!

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #188 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going by your sig, you possibly have an early "bass light" pair which don't sound as dark as the late-SN pair I tried recently.

I think Vinnie described better than I did the differences though. I forgot to mention the delicious mids. I'm going to put an OCCC cable on my pair to see how that goes, once the connectors arrive. I just hope there's enough space for the wire to fit!

Mine is actually a bass heavy pair. You can't go by serial number based on the R10 with serial number below 1000. My 764 was a bass light (now belongs to Bubliss), while my current pair is bass heavy version which sound identical to the pair with SN. 964 that I used to own.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #189 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is actually a bass heavy pair. You can't go by serial number based on the R10 with serial number below 1000. My 764 was a bass light (now belongs to Bubliss), while my current pair is bass heavy version which sound identical to the pair with SN. 964 that I used to own.

Jeez purk, you aren't stockpiling these for the Zombie Apocalypse are you?

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #190 of 196
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeez purk, you aren't stockpiling these for the Zombie Apocalypse are you?

I only have one left, but I do have a spare set of R10 drivers!
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back