A Coda and an Overture from HeadRoom
Jan 28, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #46 of 481
to my wallet! Just ordered myself the stack. Now I have to find a portable HD based player with optical out since the IHP-140 is discontinued
confused.gif
mad.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #47 of 481
dang, this "Buy-A-Thread" is paying for itself! Manufacturers, take note!

on a serious note, once the industry wakes up to the need for an digital out on portables (heck even the earliest home sources had them), especially Apple, we should be good to go and this market should take off!

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #48 of 481
Yes the IHP-140 is discontinued and I don't have one either. Does anyone know of a small, quiet, high-quality (say full cd resolution) music server with optical audio out that would be synergistic with the stack? Doesn't really have to be portable (maybe just transportable) since I will still use an HDAP for that. Ideally it would have 200-500 GB of storage and/or networking capability.

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #49 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Smokester
Yes the IHP-140 is discontinued and I don't have one either. Does anyone know of a small, quiet, high-quality (say full cd resolution) music server with optical audio out that would be synergistic with the stack? Doesn't really have to be portable (maybe just transportable) since I will still use an HDAP for that. Ideally it would have 200-500 GB of storage and/or networking capability.

What about one of those fanless Mini-ITX motherboards from Via? Just add a Chaintech AV-710 for optical out (or use the USB option with the Overture) and add whatever sized hard drive you want. The 600 MHz version should be sufficient for most audio applications, maybe even oversampling. Put it in a pizza box or something (literally, they can fit in pizza boxes if you don't want to spend money on a case) with a silent fan (even those the board is fanless it'll still overheat without a fan to circulate air into/out of the case) and you've got an excellent music server.

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #50 of 481
Sweet!
eek.gif
Thumbs up to Headroom!

I hope you guys post some side-by-side pics of your new toy with an ipod or something to make it easier for us to imagine the real size of this beauty.

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #51 of 481
Mr. Radar,
Indeed, a small Shuttle-like computer is a possibility for a music server and you may be on to something there. However, it would need a mouse, keyboard and monitor and otherwise is a pain to set up. Also less than transportable.

I'm wishing for a MP3-like HDAP with digital out (spdif or USB) and moocho silent disk (>200 MB). Simple, MP3 or CDP type controls. Maybe even download music to its disk though a network or USB 2.0 from another computer just like for a MP3 player. Able to play full resolution CDs. Wall power okay.

It's a cd player transport except with a giant and quiet hard drive instead of a cd drive.

Like 10x40 GB iPods stacked up, connected to the Overture in parallel, held together with duct tape and then run over by a truck to get back to a reasonable size. (Well, I guess according to Tyll at least the overture would survive.)

Jan 29, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #52 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Smokester
I'm wishing for a MP3-like HDAP with digital out (spdif or USB) and moocho silent disk (>200 MB). Simple, MP3 or CDP type controls. Maybe even download music to its disk though a network or USB 2.0 from another computer just like for a MP3 player. Able to play full resolution CDs. Wall power okay.

. . . I think I'm going to start taking notes . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
dang, this "Buy-A-Thread" is paying for itself! Manufacturers, take note!

Yup. It sure is. It would be comfy to have this place all to myself; but I'd really prefer some healthy, civil competition. It would make the market bigger and, in the long run, better for all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
I hope you guys post some side-by-side pics of your new toy with an ipod or something to make it easier for us to imagine the real size of this beauty.

We'll get Andrew to shoot some pix Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP on the HeadRoom crossfeed
But it sounds more natural than most that I've heard.

Thanks. I admit that the crossfeed slightly reduces some qualities of the audio, but I also find that usually significantly improves the listenability and naturalness of the presentation. In the end I tend to use it about 80% of the time. If I want to "inspect" the sound quality I'll turn it off, but that's not listening for enjoyment, in which case I leave it on usually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
OK,done sucking up

Geez! I'm blushing! No, really, thanks for your kind words.

(OK, now somebody pull this guy off. The sucktion is giving me a hickey. Fortunately it's not where people will see it.)
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
You guys are evil. You are essentially seeking to rule the Headphone world and it just ain't right.

I have to admit that sometimes I do think you could take over the world from the headphone angle. Usually I write it off to the "entrepreneurial spirit" needed to keep enough fire in your belly to overcome the obstacles to success. But sometimes I do get a glimpse of success that could be quite large. Personally, I'm shooting for $50 Million a year in sales; about 15 times bigger than we are at the moment. Our reckoning is that we'll get there growing @15%/year in 2024. Then I'll retire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
move it to DSP

Yeah, baby, that's what I'm talking about! We're going there; it'll just take more time than anybody is going to be happy with. But, in patience possess ye your empty wallet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Is there a possibility of a "quality vs. life" dial or switch that could alter the bias? Probably not that simple though.

Well, in the future, there will be a similar product where you'll be able to pick between the two modules.

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #55 of 481
Quote:

(OK, now somebody pull this guy off. The sucktion is giving me a hickey. Fortunately it's not where people will see it.)

uh oh...looks like foot in mouth disease strikes the rickmonster again !

enjoy your hickey man
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #57 of 481
Jan 30, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #58 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young&Foolish
A question on the DAC:

Is the USB S/PDIF limited to 16 bit and a maximum sample rate of 48 KHz?

I've found the answer in the data sheet:

Supported Input Data (PCM2902)
The following data formats are accepted by the S/PDIF input and output. All other data formats are unable to use S/PDIF.
* 48-kHz 16-bit stereo
* 44.1-kHz 16-bit stereo
* 32-kHz 16-bit stereo

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #60 of 481
I just listened to the Overture DAC at the NYC meet, and you have a winner on your hands. That thing, hooked up to either of my amps (SR71 or Solo) proved that it was a champ for either a portable or home rig. It does sort of suck battery life quickly, especially a rechargeable. Right now I'd use that thing as the benchmark source for any portable amp shootout we'd have in the future, it's that clean and retains all the dynamics and nuances of the original recording in my mind. It even pumped a nice signal to the sonic T amp to the K1000, and Immtbiker's wife was grooving on Dave Brubeck Live at Oberlin with that setup. Everything we threw at it, the Overture handled, and even considering that it is comboed to the stack for $600, it's still one of the best bang-for-buck eye openers i've had since i started this hobby. Kudos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back