A Coda and an Overture from HeadRoom
Jan 27, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #32 of 481
Hey fellas, just got my units. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
Fedex decided to come on over 1 day early
biggrin.gif
The units are still freezing cold from the outside so I'm going to let them toast up a bit.

One thing about batteries. I tried some Plainviews and they are a bit long and push the back plate. I don't hav emuch experience with 9V batteries so I was just borrowing these from a fellow headfier. I'm going to try other higher capacity batteries though.

Units feel solid just like other headroom amps I've came accross before
smily_headphones1.gif

You guys weren't kidding when you said the DAC outputs a powerful signal. You need to turn up the volume just a little on the amp.

Ok I've changed my mind. I'm going to take the amp out on a spin now outside.

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #33 of 481
It would be interesting to see how these compare to the AOS Flute.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #34 of 481
Comparo on Sunday where we'll have both units but um.... neither is burned in really.

re: battery. A lot of other portable units have issues fitting 9V batteries in them. What is up with that?

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #35 of 481
Well, that was a quick $600!!

Just placed my order...this is THE ideal work system for me!!

Oh dear...now comes the hard part: gotta talk to Mrs. Elrod about this...
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #37 of 481
Wow, this is very, very tempting. This product would really fit a market niche. "hint, hint.
wink.gif
" Seriously, props to Headroom for bursting back on the scene in such a great way. Man, 600 bones is sooo much, but that product is very great. . . . . . . . . . (two thumbs up to whomever thought of that product combo.)

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #38 of 481
jumped over the fence, Coda is 2 Fedex days away, sucks the weekend has gotten in the way.... here's hoping it's gonna be the magic office bullit!

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #39 of 481
You guys are evil. You are essentially seeking to rule the Headphone world and it just ain't right.

I haven't spent a great deal of time with the Coda amp but the hour or so I've spent with the Overture DAC has me at a loss for words. I'll use just one....WOW!

Jan 28, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #40 of 481
I have to say that I agree: that DAC really is killer. All those film caps and that great Cirrus DA is a magic combo. It just goes to show how tough it is to build headphone amps.

We are known for building amps that are both punchy, articulate, but never harsh; and that have a well balanced and consistantly pleasureable presentation due to the availability of the crossfeed. We pay a price for that, though, because we have to use an input buffer and crossfed summing stages, which means the signal goes through three active stages instead of the one or two in competative amps that don't have the pleasures of the crossfeed. We also find that the more juice you burn (with class-A biasing and doubling up on output buffers) the better you can make it sound. The Coda is tough because we wanted to get battery life out of it, too. Frankly, I'm surprised we got the performance we did with 25 hours of battery life. (FWIW, when we put a Premium module in the Coda you're down at around 4 hours battery life.) A stock Coda is a good step up from an AirHead, but it's not a Cosmic---which sounds incredable with that DAC.

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #41 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
We pay a price for that, though, because we have to use an input buffer and crossfed summing stages, which means the signal goes through three active stages instead of the one or two in competative amps that don't have the pleasures of the crossfeed.

move it to DSP
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
We also find that the more juice you burn (with class-A biasing and doubling up on output buffers) the better you can make it sound. The Coda is tough because we wanted to get battery life out of it, too.

Is there a possibility of a "quality vs. life" dial or switch that could alter the bias? Probably not that simple though.

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #43 of 481
Quote:

You guys are evil. You are essentially seeking to rule the Headphone world and it just ain't right.

actually it IS right !

Headroom was pushing headphones and headphone amps as a serious high fidelity medium WAY before all the newcomers who now reap the benefits of Headroom opening up and pushing the market.There was Stax,there was Headroom and then nothing !
A damn headphone wasteland unless you did studio work and even then try to find any real dope on the medium.
Other than manufacturer ad copy there was nothing,nada,zip and even reviews were few and far between

the crossfeed ?

Same thing.Headroom has and does push the technology and as far as i know they are the only ones to get it right by mixing the crossfeed blend back to the original signal rather than passing everything through in an "all or nothing" deal.

the Headroom amp "house sound" (i know tyll,no sonic signature
tongue.gif
) is one that never gets caught out or does something that catches you by surprise but just makes music without any "tweeking" hassles.A more universal or plug 'n play amp lineup is not made that i know of and the service is legendary.

I say go headroom and whip profit butt !!!!!!!!
The market share most likely is high but deserved because without Headroom there IS no market.

If not for the early (and cool) days with the simple little web site I would never have found Headwize and by extension never have reached Head-Fi or my new found (in the last 7 years or so) passion for headphone listening. I had out of boredom left electronics and had reached audio apathy.i did not care how something sounded as long as it worked.and this from a guy who made his own gear since the mid seventies.
Pouring through the original headroom site i found an exitement again that was only quenched when i found the headwize project library and re-established my love for audio electronics.My first attempt was a pretty good clone of the Cosmic which was really not all that hard to make since headroom gives out the details of their gear freely.
Nothing to hide and to be honest they make a better amp than the average DIYer could clone anyway so why not just buy the original ? (I am too poor and way too cheap that's why
tongue.gif
).
Fit and finish,layout,electronics modules always being improved,sonics-If i were to purchase a commercial amp it would be these guys hands down and for two reasons :

1-great products

2-as a thank you for fueling the hobby and the technology by being enthusiastic about something the established audio "gods" poo pooed as a fad and something that would never get a foothold in the high end of audio.

OK,done sucking up
tongue.gif

(but i DO suck up good huh ?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
cool.gif
)

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #44 of 481
I would have to agree. Although I have not used any of their electronic products [should get to sample the lot tomorrow though] I have been using their bags for some time and absolutely love the attention to detail that went into them. I should write a review sometime... especially after the initial response that I gave when I recieved my Headcase.
redface.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #45 of 481
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
the crossfeed ?

Same thing.headroom has and does push the technology and as far as i know they are the only ones to get it right by mixing the crossfeed blend back to the original signal rather than passing everything through in an "all or nothing" deal.

I tend to agree. A lot of "crossfeed" circuits I've heard are more like echofeed. Headroom seems to use more of a processing instead of a circuit anyway. But it sounds more natural than most that I've heard. I don't want a delayed note decay in the opposite ear, I want channel cross over. Guess that's my best way of describing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back