A closed, portable-ish headphone with grado sound?
Jan 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #16 of 25
Will their be much difference between these low-end senn's and the *gulp* skullcandy superaural headphones i'm currently using as my on-the-go's? Or will I need to jump to the $100 price range to see a decent improvement (such as the improvement between them and my Grado's)

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 25
again, buy the iGrado's:)

I think KSC75 is way better than skullcandys, don't let the price of those Koss clip ons fool you. I don't think extremely highly of the px100's, buth they're decent, good bang for the buck, but not as good as ksc75 

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 25
^Thats an Idea I'm liking. How much sound would you say leaks out? at average listening levels, is it audible from say 10 ft away? Also, do they need amping?

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 25
Spending a touch more money, the Phiaton MS300 fits the bill perfectly. It's a small closed portable, looks great, and has a sharp and aggressive sound similar to grados.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #22 of 25
Oooh, those are nice looking headphones indeed.
Would a cmoy be powerful enough to drive the k240's decently(not well, but well enough to sound about as good as my Grado's) until I could either get a fiio e7 or build a Starving Student Millet Hybrid? Do they benifit more from tube or solid-state amping?
Would the phiathon's need amping?

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 25
There's more to it than just a low impedance... but you are correct that they do not need an amp to sound good.

AKGs are typically a bit harder to drive, with moderate impedance and low sensitivity. A CMoy should do just fine though (assuming you're building a 9V or 18V one).

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #25 of 25
Alright, Many thanks. Now its just a matter of aquiring the right funds, and seeing what pops up in the used section, hahah. Now I have more motivation to work this semester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back