A Bit of Music and a Bit of Fun
Jan 29, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #6,406 of 6,504
Lepreous, been a few years now since I saw them live. Biased as I'm from Norway but I think they are great. Prog rock/metal

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #6,407 of 6,504
Need to mention my friends favourite band Vazelina Bilopphøggers, and he is what you call veteran car enthusiast and country bumpkin. Been dragged along for 1 performance a few years ago, not my favourite music but fun none the less.

Feb 2, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #6,408 of 6,504

Max Normal Tv , the history of Die Antwoord before they went over there or became youtube stars.

A bit more cred

I suppose the start of the zef thing. Jack Parow

The rap scene is rather active here in the cape mostly afrikaans and gangsta but becoming more mainstream.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #6,409 of 6,504
The rap scene is rather active here in the cape mostly afrikaans and gangsta but becoming more mainstream.
Thanks for posting that. I guess I first hard them when Fatty Fatty Boom Boom came out but had never heard of them before that. It was playing at safe port where we rested after a day of pillaging and plundering off the Ivory Coast.

I always thought Afrikaans wsasinteresting in the way words were pronounced, that it would be easy to learn and wanted to, but now I can barely manage the Queens English. I saw some video of them just sitting around shooting automatic pistols like spoiled kids.

Dat be right. You heard me, biatches. Ah gotz sumtin for yaz in the other thread......

About a month ago some girl in the building I live in poured gas on a rug, shoved it underneath the door of the apartment her ex and his floozy were staying in about 3am and set it on fire.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #6,410 of 6,504
Thanks for posting that. I guess I first hard them when Fatty Fatty Boom Boom came out but had never heard of them before that. It was playing at safe port where we rested after a day of pillaging and plundering off the Ivory Coast.

I always thought Afrikaans wsasinteresting in the way words were pronounced, that it would be easy to learn and wanted to, but now I can barely manage the Queens English. I saw some video of them just sitting around shooting automatic pistols like spoiled kids.

Dat be right. You heard me, biatches. Ah gotz sumtin for yaz in the other thread......
Afrikaans is more like Flemish than Dutch I suppose it is the French influence (the French Huguenotscame over in numbers and was fully integrated by design no french schools etc.) Also a very simple language structure tense wise.There is regional variations and of course difference in the language use between culture groups. The largest other than white afrikaner being the cape malay which is also where you would find rap as the music of choice. The cape flats is a tragedy all gangs drugs and violence. originally as i understand Watkin Tudor Jones of the antwoord tried to use rap with his project MaxNormal Tv to inject some positivity and self belief. He failed largely because of race and cred. He is a ex Johannesburg and out f one of the most prestigious english pvt schools , (art student as well I Heard) .
Anri Du Toit or Yolandi Visser (lol note the French surname) is afrikaans well to do family and Pretoria. Her dad is a minister in one of the big afrikaans churches.
Jack Parow made Afrikaans rap mainstream under the uni crowd he is a Capetonian the Parow in his name refers to a predominantly working-class white area of Cape Town unlike where he grew up Durbanville but unlike Die Antwoord his music is seen as part of the anti-predominant apartheid era establishment. The beginning of which was the Voëlvry movement (The Voëlvry movement (Afrikaans: [ˈfuəlfrɛi]) in South Africa was genre of anti-apartheid music sung in Afrikaans. The term Voëlvry means both "free as a bird" and "outlaw". This movement has been said to have started on April 4, 1989, in Johannesburg in a packed club. This marked the beginning of what some have called a rock and roll uprising. The Voëlvry movement used music in the Afrikaans language to show pride.[1] The movement focused on Afrikaner youth. The main goal of the movement was to get Afrikaner youth to see the changes that had to occur in the “authoritarian, patriarchal culture”.) It started in 1989 and was succesfull in my eyes it played a significant part in the breakdown of aprtheid. Of course, the demise of the ussr was the biggest factor I think no more communist danger, the government of the day always maintained communism is the real reasons for the border war and apartheid. The fight for afrikaans culture and religion. The demise of the Soviet Union made heavy handed behaviour almost impossible especially against the young afrikaners who simply refused to be conscripted into the army. It was a rebellion of a different kind for the first time Afrikaans music shouted against the government lyrics about sex drugs etc.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #6,416 of 6,504
Poppy Family - Which Way You Goin' Billy (1969)

The lead singer Susan Jacks died as a result of kidney disease-related infections at Surrey Memorial Hospital on 25 April 2022, at the age of 73

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #6,418 of 6,504
Billy Idol - Eyes Without A Face (TOTP 1984)

Agnetha Faltskog "Eyes Of A Woman"

Talk Talk - It's My Life (Official Video)

Talk Talk - Talk Talk (Official Video)

ABC - The Look Of Love

Mar 12, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #6,419 of 6,504
Gigliola Cinquetti Eurovision Song Contest Winner 1964

''This is a restoration of the 1964 Eurovision Song Contest Winner was made possible by a recent find of more film from Copenhagen, Denmark.''

Users who are viewing this thread

Back