A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming
May 31, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #181 of 344
Some odd findings:

When I ran FooBar and the ASIO driver for the Musiland the fooBar output was way off. There were deviations from the reference of over 11db at some frequencies, disabling the ASIO driver in FooBar fixed this and the playback was as close to identical to the reference as makes no difference.

When trying to record from lilith into Cool Edit Pro starting Lilith caused CEP to blip nastily, further the recorded file was now 2000 samples shorter than it should have been, I tried this 5 times allowing CEP time to recover but each time the recording came up short.

Will try one more using a 2 PC setup

Frankly quite puzzled by all this...

reran using separate play and record PCs
------------------------------------------------------------

Foobar behaved itself and output exactly 32768 samples no problem, Lilith output 31260 samples i.e 1508 samples shy of the target i.e about 0.0342 seconds lost from the end. Without knowing more about why this is happening it seems impossible to reccomend this player.

May 31, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #182 of 344

Quote:
Some odd findings:

When I ran FooBar and the ASIO driver for the Musiland the fooBar output was way off. There were deviations from the reference of over 11db at some frequencies, disabling the ASIO driver in FooBar fixed this and the playback was as close to identical to the reference as makes no difference.

When trying to record from lilith into Cool Edit Pro starting Lilith caused CEP to blip nastily, further the recorded file was now 2000 samples shorter than it should have been, I tried this 5 times allowing CEP time to recover but each time the recording came up short.

Will try one more using a 2 PC setup

Frankly quite puzzled by all this...

Very interesting findings...

May 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #183 of 344
depending on the dac used via usb, latency settings matter quite a bit for example... Those are other things to factor in this music player sound quality saga :D

May 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #184 of 344
By the way, Foobar has a slightly tighter bass than ulilith IMO but again the mids seem more analog if thats the right word on ulilith. Maybe because the mids have a slightly more forward presence and the bass is a little less snappy that it seems more analog hmm. It could all be placebo though... I really want foobar to sound better because of the interface darnit :D

For a lot of music, the differences are too small that I may as well really call placebo.

May 31, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #185 of 344

Quote:
Very interesting findings...

One to puzzle about over a pint of Morrells. Too many variables though, could be Vista, could be my setup, could be the player, could be ASIO, could be the hardware, not reading Japanese does not help, though I do have an old pal (an LMH graduate) in Japan, maybe I will call in a favour and get a translation...

May 31, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #190 of 344

the latest a the bottom: http://www.project9k.jp/download/uLilith/

I took care of the english translation, but english is not my native tongue...so lemme know if you see errors.

@donunus: yes, that's the one...now go ahead and try to justify why you think uLilith sounds better, besides you've used many more audiophool words than I did
bigsmile_face.gif

May 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #191 of 344

Quote:
the latest a the bottom: http://www.project9k.jp/download/uLilith/

I took care of the english translation, but english is not my native tongue...so lemme know if you see errors.

@donunus: yes, that's the one...now go ahead and try to justify why you think uLilith sounds better, besides you've used many more audiophool words than I did
bigsmile_face.gif

Many thanks for the link, that works very nicely ! now I can adjust the settings and see if that makes a difference..optimized settings , best lilith capture to date, Lilith now a mere 206 samples or 1/220th of a second short
wink.gif

May 31, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #194 of 344
tell me about it, uLilith doesn't allow custom mixing matrixes(foobar and ffdshow do)...so I cannot use the Logic7 5.1>stereo downmix matrix on my 24/96 5.1 lossless SACD rips....ah well, uLilith's coder told me he'd implement it when he has time, so no biggy
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back