A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming
Jun 5, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #286 of 344
Quote:
I never get any glitches on XP, so I wouldn't know what you're talking about tbh
disq8.gif

well, Dogbert existed before hydroponic-audio luckily, he's a major driver engineer that wishes to remain anynymous: http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/

and yes, most hydroponic ppl seem pretty deaf to me...their forum is like a religion that likes to debunk audio myths(KMixer's distortion's inaudible, jitter doesn't exist, all the cables sound the same, yada yada)...why don't post about your "harsh sounding" digital coax cables there?
albator.gif

Actually, it sounds like a forum actually asking for proof of claims.

Sounds reasonable to me.  Oh - and they acknowledge jitter existing, the question is and always will be for a select few whether it's audible or not.

@Hybrys

Yes, you need to get a DTS lock and have a receiver or processor that confirms it.

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #288 of 344
Quote:

vlc only support DS, so no bit-perfect possible >XP. vlc does everything poorly, no idea why it's so famous.

,,,What?  VLC doesn't even support DSound.  waveOut, PORTAUDIO, and DirectX outputs.  Plus you can link Reclock to it.

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #289 of 344
leeperry: They ask for proof.  It distinguishes the audiphiles from the the audio-phools.  And all cables (EDIT: well shielded) do sound the same until someone PROVES differently!

I have already challenged a bunch of folks to DBT/ABX both their audio program (still waiting leeperry for your results) and cables.  I even called out one vendor at a meet to prove it and well, let's just say he couldn't distinguish his cable from a radio shack one.

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #291 of 344

Quote:
Well, I've done it before in other media players. (Not on this laptop, I don't have DTS/digital output capabilities)  It's passthrough testing, right?  But, I was fairly sure that VLC has an internal decoder for DTS; it's not just a passthrough.  Also, you need a digital output and a receiver that can decode/lock to DTS signals for this test, don't you?  Just to clarify.

Yes you must have a home theater reciever that Decodes DTS,  its 2011 and unless you are under the poverty level or under 30 years old you have one !  Connect it digitally,  no DSP's or any other software decoding working in the software on your computer.   If you hear music/soundtrack and not static,  turn your volume down on your software and your music should turn to static,  You now have proven beyond reasonable doubt bit perfectness.   

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #292 of 344

I just did see a page back,  and again no audio program DBT/ABX is worth a grain of salt without first a DTS test on each program,  why is this so hard to understand?

People have so little understanding that I think I will have foobar setup with Ozone and master the crap out of a piece and DBT/ABX vs a simple bit perfect player.   Folks will pick the mastered material 100-1,   the point is unless you prove bitperfect before the DBT/ABX the test is meaniless.
Quote:

I have already challenged a bunch of folks to DBT/ABX both their audio program (still waiting leeperry for your results) and cables.  I even called out one vendor at a meet to prove it and well, let's just say he couldn't distinguish his cable from a radio shack one.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #293 of 344
VLC [..] you can link Reclock to it.

no, you cannot use Reclock in VLC AFAIK, it's been thoroughly discussed on the Reclock forum:
http://www.spicygreeniguana.com/home-cinema-hifi/106470-i-do-not-manage-reclock.html
http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=26942

KMP does everything vlc does, just better...vlc is worthless, and KMP does many things vlc would only dream about(like seamless playback on up to 100 video files)

I like to plug my phone directly to my DAC to get a good idea of the sonic color when I roll opamps, and I've got 3 short RCA>minijack adapters that sound *way* different...so much for all the cables sounding the same haha.

Do you honestly believe that all the ppl who pay for recabling are mentally challenged? I can DBT those 3 adapters anytime anywhere...but well, it's same as w/ opamps and media players...there's the ppl who don't have wooden ears, use transparent-enough gear and try....and there's the ppl who seem religious about the fact that everything sounds the same hah. Either they have untrained ears(yes you need to train your ears for subtle changes) and/or crappy gear, or as a last resort a bad case of nocebo
atsmile.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #294 of 344
Quote:
I like to plug my phone directly to my DAC to get a good idea of the sonic color when I roll opamps, and I've got 3 short RCA>minijack adapters that sound *way* different...so much for all the cables sounding the same haha.

Do you honestly believe that all the ppl who pay for recabling are mentally challenged? I can DBT those 3 adapters anytime anywhere...but well, it's same as w/ opamps and media players...there's the ppl who don't have wooden ears, use transparent-enough gear and try....and there's the ppl who seem religious about the fact that everything sounds the same hah. Either they have untrained ears(yes you need to train your ears for subtle changes) and/or crappy gear, or as a last resort a bad case of nocebo
atsmile.gif

The only way I can see rolling of opamps making a difference is if they're oscillating in the circuit or were designed wrong (oscillating) from the beginning, at least on ones that measure within the range of audibility from one another.

As for your recabling response, let's see how you attack us again:

Attack 1)  Put words in our mouths
Attack 2)  Wooden Ears
Attack 3)  Our gear
Attack 4)  Denial / Ego
Attack 5)  Untrained ears
Attack 6)  Our gear (again)
Attack 7)  Denial (again)

What was this about not attacking the criteria of other users?  You would also notice that none of those claims should impact your ability to do a valid DBT anyway, but you just take this as an opportunity to attack others again.  I doubt I'd consider a DBT from you without a few unbiased 3rd parties overseeing it now - I don't trust your maturity to release untampered results should you fail it.  You tend to instill distrust with your actions honestly.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #295 of 344

Why don't we keep this as software player vs software player SQ thread.  Cables have another forum.   I suspect the software player myth can be shot to death pretty easily, or we could all be pleasantly surprised.

Cables is a never ending spiral,  I'm a trained engineer and can't rule out cables although I've never spent more than $20 for one.   This new software voodo is easily dispelled or proven valid.

Quote:
The only way I can see rolling of opamps making a difference is if they're oscillating in the circuit or were designed wrong (oscillating) from the beginning, at least on ones that measure within the range of audibility from one another.

As for your recabling response, let's see how you attack us again:

Attack 1)  Put words in our mouths
Attack 2)  Wooden Ears
Attack 3)  Our gear
Attack 4)  Denial / Ego
Attack 5)  Untrained ears
Attack 6)  Our gear (again)
Attack 7)  Denial (again)

What was this about not attacking the criteria of other users?  You would also notice that none of those claims should impact your ability to do a valid DBT anyway, but you just take this as an opportunity to attack others again.  I doubt I'd consider a DBT from you without a few unbiased 3rd parties overseeing it now - I don't trust your maturity to release untampered results should you fail it.  You tend to instill distrust with your actions honestly.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #296 of 344
Quote:
Why don't we keep this as software player vs software player SQ thread.  Cables have another forum.   I suspect the software player myth can be shot to death pretty easily, or we could all be pleasantly surprised.

Cables is a never ending spiral,  I'm a trained engineer and can't rule out cables although I've never spent more than $20 for one.   This new software voodo is easily dispelled or proven valid.

That really wasn't the point of my post.  He keeps attacking others rabidly without a single shred of evidence.  If you note, he also includes audio players and not just cables in his swipes at us.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #297 of 344
Jun 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #298 of 344
I like vlc too. For movies for laptop use, vlc's simplicity is unparalleled. AVI, mpg movies arent that great sounding anyway for me to care about the smallest of differences with bitperfect, directsound, etc...

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #299 of 344

Quote:
 I suspect the software player myth can be shot to death pretty easily, or we could all be pleasantly surprised.

Agreed. This is one of the easier audio questions to resolve. All it would take is someone with a DAC where the clock is generated at the DAC end rather than the PC end, and which is digitally isolated from the PC. Such a DAC would be impervious to any possible software, PC or transport related effects. If someone using such a DAC thought software players sounded different, we'd know it was placebo.

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #300 of 344

Quote:
Quote:

Cables is a never ending spiral,  I'm a trained engineer and can't rule out cables although I've never spent more than $20 for one.   This new software voodo is easily dispelled or proven valid.

That really wasn't the point of my post.  He keeps attacking others rabidly without a single shred of evidence.  If you note, he also includes audio players and not just cables in his swipes at us.

10-4 and agreed

Quote:
I like vlc too. For movies for laptop use, vlc's simplicity is unparalleled. AVI, mpg movies arent that great sounding anyway for me to care about the smallest of differences with bitperfect, directsound, etc...

Yes for watching avg, mpg movies bitperfect doesn't typically matter.    But if it is encoded with DTS or AC3 having a bitperfect playback can give you true surround sound from your reciever.  Even Prologic can be f-up by not having a bitperfect playback.    I don't know of any multimedia players that are bitperfect as I don't use my computer for movies yet.  The AVS forum has good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back