A (better sounding?) alternative to Foobar2000 -OR- A musing in the realm of bit-perfect streaming
Jun 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #316 of 344

Quote:

if you find Reclock/foobar/XXHighEnd to sound exactly the same on XP(using bit-perfect KS/ASIO) or on W7(from what donunus says), I think it's time to question your gear and/or your hearing tbh.

watching movies w/o Reclock(taking care of perfect smoothness in 48/96Hz) makes my eyes bleed...I cannot stand dropped frames
devil_face.gif

On the first one I dont find any of the players I tried to sound the same, just more similar on w7 than they were on xp. 

On the second one, I didn't notice the difference in dropped frames with avi files when just watching with a laptop screen. Maybe the avis are already too lossy to notice :D When I watch movies on my TV, I use my dvd player anyway instead of using the pc so getting picky with the picture quality is not a software issue for me.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #317 of 344

Quote:
well, you're pretty much all on my ignore list tbh...this is a sterile discussion, we all have different gear/hearing capabilities/standards..."ignorance is bliss", remember? I'm glad you like to watch movies in 60Hz on an uncalibrated display and use foobar for music....as least you're not picky, women like that
wink_face.gif

Most 120hz look like 60hz anyway if you turn off motion interpolation crap - though I'll admit it's nice to have.  As for calibration, yes it's important.  Note though: it's not something you'd do by eye now is it?  But when it comes to audio LOOK OUT WORLD MY EARS ARE BETTER THAN TECH.

Such hypocrisy, it's disgusting.

that Draca guy always tries to catch me wrong in the video department...hehehe, good luck I'd say...I'm not exactly talking out of my *** when it comes to colorimetry and calibration(I've learned from the best 
biggrin.gif
).

You need to train your eyes to catch bad colorimetry or the usual problems found on LCD videoprojectors(vertical banding, shading, misconvergence, etc etc)...reason why I prefer DLP. It's the same w/ audio, majkel can hear large differences between all those opamps...just like Andrea, SpudHarris or me: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-OPA-earth-OPA-moon-OPA-sun-v-2-a-397691/

There's people that also think the earth is only 6000 years old, your point?  As for DLP, how do you like rainbow effects and tons of input lag?

all those opamps sound very different, and I agree w/ almost everything majkel wrote...maybe they'd all sound the same to your (untrained) ears? then you're a lucky guy, coz you can use the cheapest 5532/4580 and live happily ever after! Being picky and having high standards is not fun...at all
devil_face.gif

Another swipe at me.  Good luck training your ears with crap audio memory - a proven fact.  Benchmark DACs measure and sound great - even using the 5532.

but pay attention to how those opamps sound, get some good phones and you will start hearing major differences...and maybe then, you'll realize that cables/opamps/media players all sound different...coz they do, they just do. I can find zillion testimonials for those 3 things w/ ppl hearing huge differences...now go train your ears, learn an instrument or whatever. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I can find testimonials of alien abductions, Loch Ness monster, and freaking sasquatch too.  Material evidence > testimonials.  Also another swipe at my equipment, but heaven forbid your equipment be updated in your profile eh?

Responses in bold.

Jun 5, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #318 of 344

Quote:
You definitely have ME curious.  What DAC is this, and what 'technology' applies this?

In these DACs, the clock is generated in the DAC itself and sent back to the PC. This effectively makes the PC just a data source, and jitter of signals outside of the DAC become unimportant (so long as they don't result in data corruption).

In terms of technology, there is some murky water. Most DACs that have the clock generated at the DAC use "Asynchronous USB". However, there is apparently considerable difficulty in getting this to actually work, possibly involving having to rewrite the commonly used firmware. I haven't done a lot of research into USB, but I know these guys do support true asynchronous USB. I know other DACs claim to have asynchronous USB transfer but I would confirm it before buying anything. I designed my own DAC, and it uses Ethernet, so I'm not very familiar with the USB implementations. Firewire can also apparently do it.

Jun 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #321 of 344

Quote:
Once your eyes are trained, you cannot stand droppped frames. watch some NTSC videos w/ Reclock on your laptop...then disable it, if you dare 
wink_face.gif

I will critically watch movies and compare but the good thing about this is that I don't have the videophile disease so it doesn't really matter to me much even if I could see the difference. With sound, its a different story, I am more paranoid about that hehehe

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #322 of 344
Just setup kmplayer again and I'm not getting any audio... I am a fool and this turns me off fast :D What did I do wrong? I set it up with reclock and clicked use only if it fails to play with system default in the decoders part but this ffdshow setting I cannot find 

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #323 of 344
hehe, setting KMP to your exact liking, and making automatic profiles in ffdshow audio/video takes FOREVER. It's good practice to offen backup the registry entries for KMP/fffdshow/Reclock so you can always revert to a working config and start again. You can easily mess everything up w/ a single wrong option
biggrin.gif

you can make automatic profiles in ffdshow, make one for lossy audio, one for lossless and force the former to output 32float:

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #325 of 344

Quote:
No. And mod can explain this to you easily, if you itself not smart enough for that. BTW, who goes to oxford, plays "four instruments" and not able to read or understand rules? I think it's some cleaner.

Relax. The post you quoted, ironically, was sarcastic - sarcasm can be hard to convey over a text medium.

You seem to be perry's fanboy, hence the the phrase 'ghost account'. The connotations were more important than the denotation.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #326 of 344
Eq's, dithering, reverb, compression all sound different depending on the algorithm used,  you are grasping at straws trying to save face,  give it up and move on to you next cause to beat up on newbies or something you may have a chance with them.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #327 of 344
As for EQ, I use various solutions all the time when I'm mixing in Logic or Ableton. I just use Logic's inbuilt Audio Units but various commercial and freeware offerings present different results because they use a variety of math to colour the sound.

Quote:

“A FOOL, AM I! I’LL SHOW THEM WHO’S THE FOOL! I’LL SHOW THEM ALL! AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH!!!”

*thunder*

*lightning*

*organ music*  

parskeu.gif

BTW, uLilith sounds good w/ this EQ plugin: http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/products/eq.htm

following this tutorial: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

please tell me that all the EQ's sound the same too
biggrin.gif

this EQ uses the algorithms from the $600K Sony OXF-R3 soundboard, it sounds awfully good through uLilith's 64bit float VST processing....the best EQ I've heard. ever. VST plugins sound like **** in foobar
spamatounet.gif

this EQ is simply perfect, totally uncolored and deadly accurate..mode 2 is specifically meant to kill resonances.

and many ppl agree on that: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/10780-sony-oxf-r3-oxford-console-thoughts.html

Actually, a lot of people were bashing it in that thread as thin, clean, and sterile. I suggest you do some reading LOL. I personally like the Sonnox plug-ins and the couple of albums I've heard mixed on the Sony Oxford desk.

all the other EQ's sound like freeware winamp plugins compared to this one. really.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #328 of 344
gotta admit one thing though... foobars eq is really garbage if you try boosting anything at 6db or above. Its as if you hear microphone feedback or something with basically any frequency boosted.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #330 of 344

Quote:
gotta admit one thing though... foobars eq is really garbage if you try boosting anything at 6db or above. Its as if you hear microphone feedback or something with basically any frequency boosted.

Many built in EQ in different players are not that good.  Well not when you compared them to higher grade studio based direct X, VST..etc based effects.  Try out some of those they may be what you are after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back